Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking troubles networking Windows machines to RH7.1 Linux Post 10963 by shinja31 on Monday 26th of November 2001 12:00:26 PM
Old 11-26-2001
Tools

Hi there,

I have been working on this myself with FreeBSD 4.4. I am new to Unix networking myself this has certainly been a great learning experience!

Definitely check out the documents on Samba.org.

Here are the things I ran into:

- Ping yourself $>ping localhost

If you are unsuccessful, that means that you will need to bind an address to the NIC.

- ping the other PCs

By address and by name. If you cannot by name, you will need to add them to HOSTS. BE sure all PCs are in the same IP range and subnet.

- Make sure that both smdb and nmdb are started. (easy to do if you are using SWAT.

This was my last challenge to seeing the FreeBSD PC from the Windows clients. If nmdb is not running, you will be able to see the Windows PCs but they will not be able to see the Linux PC.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Steve

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Networking UNIX with WINDOWS

I am not that great with unix yet, We use them to run our test equipnemt for work. I am now trying to set them all up on the same network (hub) Is there a way that you can make the Windows unit see the Unix Box? I can only transfer file through a FTP program from the Unix to windows. ( This all... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jrb22250
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Networking Linux 2 windows server

How do i network my linux 7 machine to a windows 98 server.I can ping them but how do i see them in explorer and how can i surf in netscape on my linux machine? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: perleo
3 Replies

3. IP Networking

networking linux to windows server

I have a linux 7 machine and i want to able to connect it to my windows 98 server.What do i do.They can ping each other but how do i make them see each other e.g be able to copy and send files to each other and surf??? how do i set up netscape to connect to my servers web server??? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: perleo
2 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Troubles Installing RH7.2

Hi all, OK, I have two boxes; one P-III(600Mhz/384M Ram/XP) and the other an AMD-K6-2(500Mhz). I'm also utilising a KVM (2-port) switch and have a MS keyboard and MS mouse connected. When I attempt to install RH 7.2 (on the AMD box) the mouse cursor takes off to the top-right of the console... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cameron
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mandrake and Windows XP networking

I have a main computer which is running windows xp and has my internet connection. I also have my laptop which is running mandrake 9.0. I am completely new to lunix and was wondering how to network the two together so i can share my modem (can't afford broadband yet) In windows xp there were no... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kickyr
1 Replies

6. HP-UX

Windows and Linux OS for HP-UX machines

Hi All, I'm not sure if this has been posted before. Anyone knows a site how to do a hardware check (ex. ioscan) on an HP-UX machine that runs in Linux,Solaris and Windows? I'm checking the docs.hp.com and it gives me HP-UX stuff. does HP even supports such highlevel commands we use on HP-UX OS?... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: grumash
2 Replies

7. IP Networking

Discover Windows machines in other network

I have my Windows computer in network 192.168.1.0/24 plugged into one interface of my router. I have another port on the router as network 192.168.168.0/24 where my nas is plugged in. Now Windows doesn't discover my NAS automatically, of course. Anyone know what would be the most elegant way to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: awayand
2 Replies
cupsaddsmb(8)							    Apple Inc.							     cupsaddsmb(8)

NAME
cupsaddsmb - export printers to samba for windows clients SYNOPSIS
cupsaddsmb [ -H samba-server ] [ -U samba-user[%samba-password] ] [ -h cups-server[:port] ] [ -v ] -a cupsaddsmb [ -H samba-server ] [ -U samba-user[%samba-password] ] [ -h cups-server[:port] ] [ -v ] printer [ ... printer ] DESCRIPTION
The cupsaddsmb program exports printers to the SAMBA software (version 2.2.0 or higher) for use with Windows clients. Depending on the SAMBA configuration, you may need to provide a password to export the printers. This program requires the Windows printer driver files described below. SAMBA CONFIGURATION cupsaddsmb uses the RPC-based printing support in SAMBA to provide printer drivers and PPD files to Windows client machines. In order to use this functionality, you must first configure the SAMBA smb.conf(5) file to support printing through CUPS and provide a printer driver download share, as follows: [global] load printers = yes printing = cups printcap name = cups [printers] comment = All Printers path = /var/spool/samba browseable = no public = yes guest ok = yes writable = no printable = yes [print$] comment = Printer Drivers path = /etc/samba/drivers browseable = yes guest ok = no read only = yes write list = root This configuration assumes a FHS-compliant installation of SAMBA; adjust the [printers] and [print$] share paths accordingly on your system as needed. MICROSOFT POSTSCRIPT DRIVERS FOR WINDOWS The base driver for Windows 2000 and higher is the Microsoft PostScript driver, which is available on any system running Windows 2000 or higher in the %WINDIR%SYSTEM32SPOOLDRIVERSW32X863 folder for 32-bit drivers and %WINDIR%SYSTEM32SPOOLDRIVERSX643 folder for 64-bit drivers. Copy the 32-bit drivers to the /usr/share/cups/drivers directory and the 64-bit drivers to the /usr/share/cups/drivers/x64 directory exactly as named below: ps5ui.dll pscript.hlp pscript.ntf pscript5.dll Note: Unlike Windows, case is significant - make sure that you use the lowercase filenames shown above, otherwise cupsaddsmb will fail to export the drivers. OPTIONS
cupsaddsmb supports the following options: -H samba-server Specifies the SAMBA server which defaults to the CUPS server. -U samba-user[%samba-password] Specifies the SAMBA print admin username which defaults to your current username. If the username contains a percent (%) character, then the text following the percent is treated as the SAMBA password to use. -a Exports all known printers. Otherwise only the named printers are exported. -h cups-server[:port] Specifies a different CUPS server to use. -v Specifies that verbose information should be shown. This is useful for debugging SAMBA configuration problems. SEE ALSO
rpcclient(1), smbclient(1), smbd(8), smb.conf(5), CUPS Online Help (http://localhost:631/help) COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2007-2017 by Apple Inc. 11 June 2014 CUPS cupsaddsmb(8)