Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking troubles networking Windows machines to RH7.1 Linux Post 10963 by shinja31 on Monday 26th of November 2001 12:00:26 PM
Old 11-26-2001
Tools

Hi there,

I have been working on this myself with FreeBSD 4.4. I am new to Unix networking myself this has certainly been a great learning experience!

Definitely check out the documents on Samba.org.

Here are the things I ran into:

- Ping yourself $>ping localhost

If you are unsuccessful, that means that you will need to bind an address to the NIC.

- ping the other PCs

By address and by name. If you cannot by name, you will need to add them to HOSTS. BE sure all PCs are in the same IP range and subnet.

- Make sure that both smdb and nmdb are started. (easy to do if you are using SWAT.

This was my last challenge to seeing the FreeBSD PC from the Windows clients. If nmdb is not running, you will be able to see the Windows PCs but they will not be able to see the Linux PC.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Steve

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Networking UNIX with WINDOWS

I am not that great with unix yet, We use them to run our test equipnemt for work. I am now trying to set them all up on the same network (hub) Is there a way that you can make the Windows unit see the Unix Box? I can only transfer file through a FTP program from the Unix to windows. ( This all... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jrb22250
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Networking Linux 2 windows server

How do i network my linux 7 machine to a windows 98 server.I can ping them but how do i see them in explorer and how can i surf in netscape on my linux machine? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: perleo
3 Replies

3. IP Networking

networking linux to windows server

I have a linux 7 machine and i want to able to connect it to my windows 98 server.What do i do.They can ping each other but how do i make them see each other e.g be able to copy and send files to each other and surf??? how do i set up netscape to connect to my servers web server??? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: perleo
2 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Troubles Installing RH7.2

Hi all, OK, I have two boxes; one P-III(600Mhz/384M Ram/XP) and the other an AMD-K6-2(500Mhz). I'm also utilising a KVM (2-port) switch and have a MS keyboard and MS mouse connected. When I attempt to install RH 7.2 (on the AMD box) the mouse cursor takes off to the top-right of the console... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cameron
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mandrake and Windows XP networking

I have a main computer which is running windows xp and has my internet connection. I also have my laptop which is running mandrake 9.0. I am completely new to lunix and was wondering how to network the two together so i can share my modem (can't afford broadband yet) In windows xp there were no... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kickyr
1 Replies

6. HP-UX

Windows and Linux OS for HP-UX machines

Hi All, I'm not sure if this has been posted before. Anyone knows a site how to do a hardware check (ex. ioscan) on an HP-UX machine that runs in Linux,Solaris and Windows? I'm checking the docs.hp.com and it gives me HP-UX stuff. does HP even supports such highlevel commands we use on HP-UX OS?... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: grumash
2 Replies

7. IP Networking

Discover Windows machines in other network

I have my Windows computer in network 192.168.1.0/24 plugged into one interface of my router. I have another port on the router as network 192.168.168.0/24 where my nas is plugged in. Now Windows doesn't discover my NAS automatically, of course. Anyone know what would be the most elegant way to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: awayand
2 Replies
FINDSMB(1)							   User Commands							FINDSMB(1)

NAME
findsmb - list info about machines that respond to SMB name queries on a subnet SYNOPSIS
findsmb [subnet broadcast address] DESCRIPTION
This perl script is part of the samba(7) suite. findsmb is a perl script that prints out several pieces of information about machines on a subnet that respond to SMB name query requests. It uses nmblookup(1) and smbclient(1) to obtain this information. OPTIONS
-r Controls whether findsmb takes bugs in Windows95 into account when trying to find a Netbios name registered of the remote machine. This option is disabled by default because it is specific to Windows 95 and Windows 95 machines only. If set, nmblookup(1) will be called with -B option. subnet broadcast address Without this option, findsmb will probe the subnet of the machine where findsmb(1) is run. This value is passed to nmblookup(1) as part of the -B option. EXAMPLES
The output of findsmb lists the following information for all machines that respond to the initial nmblookup for any name: IP address, NetBIOS name, Workgroup name, operating system, and SMB server version. There will be a '+' in front of the workgroup name for machines that are local master browsers for that workgroup. There will be an '*' in front of the workgroup name for machines that are the domain master browser for that workgroup. Machines that are running Windows for Workgroups, Windows 95 or Windows 98 will not show any information about the operating system or server version. The command with -r option must be run on a system without nmbd(8) running. If nmbd is running on the system, you will only get the IP address and the DNS name of the machine. To get proper responses from Windows 95 and Windows 98 machines, the command must be run as root and with -r option on a machine without nmbd running. For example, running findsmb without -r option set would yield output similar to the following IP ADDR NETBIOS NAME WORKGROUP/OS/VERSION --------------------------------------------------------------------- 192.168.35.10 MINESET-TEST1 [DMVENGR] 192.168.35.55 LINUXBOX *[MYGROUP] [Unix] [Samba 2.0.6] 192.168.35.56 HERBNT2 [HERB-NT] 192.168.35.63 GANDALF [MVENGR] [Unix] [Samba 2.0.5a for IRIX] 192.168.35.65 SAUNA [WORKGROUP] [Unix] [Samba 1.9.18p10] 192.168.35.71 FROGSTAR [ENGR] [Unix] [Samba 2.0.0 for IRIX] 192.168.35.78 HERBDHCP1 +[HERB] 192.168.35.88 SCNT2 +[MVENGR] [Windows NT 4.0] [NT LAN Manager 4.0] 192.168.35.93 FROGSTAR-PC [MVENGR] [Windows 5.0] [Windows 2000 LAN Manager] 192.168.35.97 HERBNT1 *[HERB-NT] [Windows NT 4.0] [NT LAN Manager 4.0] VERSION
This man page is correct for version 3 of the Samba suite. SEE ALSO
nmbd(8), smbclient(1), and nmblookup(1) AUTHOR
The original Samba software and related utilities were created by Andrew Tridgell. Samba is now developed by the Samba Team as an Open Source project similar to the way the Linux kernel is developed. The original Samba man pages were written by Karl Auer. The man page sources were converted to YODL format (another excellent piece of Open Source software, available at ftp://ftp.icce.rug.nl/pub/unix/) and updated for the Samba 2.0 release by Jeremy Allison. The conversion to DocBook for Samba 2.2 was done by Gerald Carter. The conversion to DocBook XML 4.2 for Samba 3.0 was done by Alexander Bokovoy. Samba 3.5 06/18/2010 FINDSMB(1)