Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: tar problem
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users tar problem Post 10953 by Perderabo on Monday 26th of November 2001 09:02:55 AM
Old 11-26-2001
Whatever follows the -f is the output file. It gets written to. This overlays the previous contents of the file. You will need to restore from backup. Sorry for the bad news.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar Problem

I need to do a bakcup for some files, in the same tape but in diferente time.... at 9am i need the file /public/test1.txt then... tar -cvf /dev/st0 /public/test1.txt at 12pm i need the file /public/test2.txt the.... tar ¿? /public/test2.txt in this point i have problem beacuse when... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sokobans
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar problem

Can someone please verify for me if tar compresses the directory or filesystem it is asked to back up?? reason am asking is I checked the size of the /home directory before running a tar command now, after I ran the tar command and the tar was done extracting the directory from the archive, I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar problem

I am using a tar command to backup my system. It works properly. I have had some trouble and I need to restore a few files. I am using the following command : tar xvf /dev/rmt2h myfile_to_restore The tar command seemd to work but after a long time I got the following error message :... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: renard
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar doubts - problem with tar

The below tar command works fine for me, tar -cvf - `find ./srcdir -type d` | (cd ./destdir ; tar -xvf - ) but this version is giving error to me: cd ./srcdir && tar -cf - . | gzip -9 | cd ../destdir && gzip -d | tar -xf - error is: gzip: compressed data not read from a terminal.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar problem

I've done a tar -cvf data.tar * in our live data directory on a Solaris machine. I copy the tar file to the test area and try tar -xvf data.tar . and it uses the full path in the tar file and overwrites the live ones again. I've used tar many a time and don't understand why its happening.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kinhell
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem is tar

i have some 685 files in my directory.Below the count: find . -name "CurrentCollectorMeterReadBackup_2009*" -exec ls -ltr {} \; | wc -l 685 i want to tar them but it is telling me arg list too long. how to tar all this files in one shot tar -cvf - -L... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ali560045
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

8. Linux

tar problem

can someone help me here. apparently, the colon i included in the name of this file is making it difficult for tar to untar it. please help ####### tar xvf DailyConfigs_Nov-19-11\:00-2009.tar rsh: DailyConfigs_Nov-19-11: Name or service not known tar: DailyConfigs_Nov-19-11\:00-2009.tar:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
4 Replies

9. Ubuntu

Problem with tar

Hello everyone, I´ve got a problem when I try to untar a file. The following errors appear: tar: Skipping to next header tar: Skipping to next header tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: katkat
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies
VGCFGRESTORE(8) 					      System Manager's Manual						   VGCFGRESTORE(8)

NAME
vgcfgrestore - restore volume group descriptor area SYNOPSIS
vgcfgrestore [-d|--debug] [-f|--file filename] [-l[l]|--list] [-h|--help] [-M|--Metadatatype1|2] [-t|--test] [-v|--verbose] VolumeGroupName DESCRIPTION
vgcfgrestore allows you to restore the metadata of VolumeGroupName from a text backup file produced by vgcfgbackup. You can specify a backup file with --file. If no backup file is specified, the most recent one is used. Use --list for a list of the available backup and archive files of VolumeGroupName. OPTIONS
-l | --list -- List files pertaining to VolumeGroupName List metadata backup and archive files pertaining to VolumeGroupName. May be used with the -f option. Does not restore Vol- umeGroupName. -f | --file filename -- Name of LVM metadata backup file Specifies a metadata backup or archive file to be used for restoring VolumeGroupName. Often this file has been created with vgcfg- backup. See lvm for common options. REPLACING PHYSICAL VOLUMES
vgdisplay --partial --verbose will show you the UUIDs and sizes of any PVs that are no longer present. If a PV in the VG is lost and you wish to substitute another of the same size, use pvcreate --restorefile filename --uuid uuid (plus additional arguments as appropriate) to initialise it with the same UUID as the missing PV. Repeat for all other missing PVs in the VG. Then use vgcfgrestore --file filename to restore the volume group's metadata. SEE ALSO
lvm(8), vgcreate(8) Sistina Software UK LVM TOOLS 2.02.95(2) (2012-03-06) VGCFGRESTORE(8)