Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Executing Ps in script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Executing Ps in script Post 10843 by Claude on Wednesday 21st of November 2001 10:16:44 PM
Old 11-21-2001
Executing Ps in script

Im Sorry to bother you guys butim totally new to Unix, so pls help me out if you can. This could be a silly question.

I wanna run the command "ps" in script, but how should I be able to do so? Actually I have made a menu for the user to choose from...for example

1. Show all processes
2. Kill process
N. XXX

I want to get it done when the user chooses option one and it will show him the processes currently running.

Thx!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

script not executing

test:/oracle/home $ ex_im1.sh ksh: exp_imp1.sh: not found $echo $SHELL /bin/ksh ex_im1.sh has rwxr--r-- permissions thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dreams5617
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

executing script

Hello ; I have a script myscript.sh. If I type at prompt myscript.sh I will receive ksh: myscript.sh: not found but if I type ./myscript.sh it works . What should I do to be able to run myscript just typing myscript.sh Many thanks before. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: big123456
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script not executing

Hi , Kindly advice whats wrong with this script. It is not executing. ...# #!/bin/ksh find. -name "b.log" if ; then echo "1" fi ...# Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: himvat
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Executing a shell script from windows;script present in unix

I need to execute a shell script kept in unix machine from windows. User id, password area available. For eg. There's a shell script wich moves all the logs kept in my home directory to a directory named LOGS. Now i need to get this done through windows; either using a batch file, or java... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajneesh_kapoor
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variables of executed script available in executing script

Hi, I have a script get_DB_var.ksh which do a data base call and get some variables as below: sqlplus -silent $user/$pass@dbname <<END select col1, col2, col3 from table_name where col4=$1; exit; END Now I want to access all these variables i.e.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dips_ag
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with executing script

Dear All, I have a script on my USB and I want to execute it on set of files when I connect via ssh on the server ... I'm not able to define the path of the script located in the USB ... how can I use this script without copying/moving it into the directory I'm working on in the ssh mode ....... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pawannoel
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

executing one script from other

Script test #! /bin/csh -f echo checking the sset command if( -e /home/user/project/runtest/testdir/ts ) then echo ts script present set cmd = "/home/user/project/runtest/testdir/ts a 1 b 2 c 3" else echo script not present endif echo $cmd echo done script ts #!/bin/csh -f set... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: animesharma
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script not executing

Hello, I wasn't sure where to post this so I posted it here. I've used UNIX quite a bit, LINUX not so much. For some reason, my LINUX script will not execute if I type in the script name and press enter. I'm in the directory where the script is. test.sh However, when I use ". ./" it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jsanders
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script dosent exits after executing the script

Hi i wrote a script which dosent exists after executing any help #!/bin/bash netstat -ptlen | grep 10000 if ; then echo "Hive Thrift server is running" exit 0 else echo "Hive Thrift server is down Trying to Bring up the service" | mail -s "ALERT" team@domain.com `nohup hive... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikatakavi
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing Oracle script from UNIX Script

Hi, I am new to UNIX and want to execute oracle script from unix script. I have written below script but i am getting below error. #!/bin/bash file="/home/usr/control/control_file1" while read line do #$line=@$line #echo $line sqlplus tiger/scott@DB @$line exit #echo "$line" done... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vipin kumar rai
3 Replies
KILLALL(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						KILLALL(1)

NAME
killall -- kill processes by name SYNOPSIS
killall [-delmsvz] [-help] [-I] [-j jail] [-u user] [-t tty] [-c procname] [-SIGNAL] [procname ...] DESCRIPTION
The killall utility kills processes selected by name, as opposed to the selection by PID as done by kill(1). By default, it will send a TERM signal to all processes with a real UID identical to the caller of killall that match the name procname. The super-user is allowed to kill any process. The options are as follows: -d | -v Be more verbose about what will be done. For a single -d option, a list of the processes that will be sent the signal will be printed, or a message indicating that no matching processes have been found. -e Use the effective user ID instead of the (default) real user ID for matching processes specified with the -u option. -help Give a help on the command usage and exit. -I Request confirmation before attempting to signal each process. -l List the names of the available signals and exit, like in kill(1). -m Match the argument procname as a (case sensitive) regular expression against the names of processes found. CAUTION! This is dangerous, a single dot will match any process running under the real UID of the caller. -s Show only what would be done, but do not send any signal. -SIGNAL Send a different signal instead of the default TERM. The signal may be specified either as a name (with or without a leading ``SIG''), or numerically. -j jail Kill processes in the specified jail. -u user Limit potentially matching processes to those belonging to the specified user. -t tty Limit potentially matching processes to those running on the specified tty. -c procname Limit potentially matching processes to those matching the specified procname. -q Suppress error message if no processes are matched. -z Do not skip zombies. This should not have any effect except to print a few error messages if there are zombie processes that match the specified pattern. ALL PROCESSES
Sending a signal to all processes with the given UID is already supported by kill(1). So use kill(1) for this job (e.g. ``kill -TERM -1'' or as root ``echo kill -TERM -1 | su -m <user>''). IMPLEMENTATION NOTES
This FreeBSD implementation of killall has completely different semantics as compared to the traditional UNIX System V behavior of killall. The latter will kill all processes that the current user is able to kill, and is intended to be used by the system shutdown process only. EXIT STATUS
The killall utility exits 0 if some processes have been found and signalled successfully. Otherwise, a status of 1 will be returned. DIAGNOSTICS
Diagnostic messages will only be printed if requested by -d options. SEE ALSO
kill(1), pkill(1), sysctl(3), jail(8) HISTORY
The killall command appeared in FreeBSD 2.1. It has been modeled after the killall command as available on other platforms. AUTHORS
The killall program was originally written in Perl and was contributed by Wolfram Schneider, this manual page has been written by Jorg Wunsch. The current version of killall was rewritten in C by Peter Wemm using sysctl(3). BSD
June 30, 2013 BSD