Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: actions based on file type
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting actions based on file type Post 10676 by kristy on Monday 19th of November 2001 01:11:32 PM
Old 11-19-2001
actions based on file type

Hello. I am trying to put together a ksh script that will perform actions on files based on what type they are. The types would be compressed, zipped, or PCL. I think my test conditions are ok, but I'm a little unsure about how to put it all together. I've come up with this, which does not work...

for A in `ls -1 $DIR1`
do
if [ `file $A | grep -c 'ZIP archive'` -ge 1 ]; then
mv $A $ZIPDIR;
if [ `file $A | grep -c 'compressed'` -ge 1 ]; then
mv $A $ZDIR
if [ `grep -c 'LANGUAGE=PCL'` -ge 1 ];then
mv $A $PCLDIR
fi
fi
fi
done

I get the feeling that this is fairly sloppy and there MUST be a way to do this better (and works).

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with simple scripting actions

Hi, I am a beginner in unix shell scripting. I wanted simple information like 1- How to know what are the number of command line options given for the script file? 2- How to check if a variable value is interger or string? 3- How to use awk to replace value of a variable For example I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nads
5 Replies

2. HP-UX

Auditing User's actions

Hi all I hope to find what i'm looking for in this forum as said in the topic i want to track user's actions on the system. i mean also the action of moving or removing files. I have an HP 9000 with HP UX 11i. the users log on the HP from a terminal window under WIndows XP Thx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Timberland
3 Replies

3. Programming

array type has incomplete element type

Dear colleagues, One of my friend have a problem with c code. While compiling a c program it displays a message like "array type has incomplete element type". Any body can provide a solution for it. Jaganadh.G (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jaganadh
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perform a set of actions for a specific file type

Hello, I have a problem that I'm having quite a bit of trouble with. I am trying to create a script that performs a specific sequence of actions for a file of a specific type. This is an abbreviated version of my basic script: #!/bin/sh #coulombic calculations... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: oehtus
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[solved] File type error (not a regular file)

Hi friend, i have written script as below to check the file existance. but i got error path="/k/p1100/users/jewel/Output" FILENAME=`ls -lrt $path/*HT|tail -1|cut -d "/" -f 8` if ; then echo "$FILENAME is available " chmod 755 $path/$FILENAME /usr/bin/scp... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jewel
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to read file and check file type

Hi, I have a file with few values in it. I need script help to read file line by line and check: 1/if it's a file (with extension eg .java .css .jar etc ) or 2/if it's a file without extension and treat it as a directory and then check if the directory exists in working copy else create one... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: iaav
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining sed actions

Let's say I have an input file looking like: ID1 1 5 6 8 ID2 1 4 5 7 I'm trying to formulate a loop that can combine these actions: - If the line begins with a letter: replace the '\ n' after a field containing characters with a '\ t' (sed 's / \ n / \ t / g' ) - If the line... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dovah
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count occurrence of string (based on type) in a column using awk

Hello, I have a table that looks like what is shown below: AA BB CC XY PQ RS AA BB CC XY RS I would like the total counts depending on the set they belong to: if search pattern is in {AA, BB, CC} --> count them as Type1 | wc -l (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
3 Replies