Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: broadcast address
Special Forums IP Networking broadcast address Post 1053 by PxT on Tuesday 6th of February 2001 01:54:29 PM
Old 02-06-2001
The broadcast address signifies "everyone" on the network. So, in other words, every network device will listen for packets destined for its assigned IP, as well as any packet destined for the broadcast address.

It is used for various things, one example is ARP requests.

See the RFC <A HREF="http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1180.txt?number=1180">TCP/IP Tutorial</A> for complete information.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

broadcast email???

Hi all, How can i send email to all the users on a box? Thank you all (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solvman
1 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

broadcast

Can anybody hellp me troubleshoot this error. Using HP-Uxix B.10.X " *****ARPA/9000 NETWORKING***** Mon Jun 30 SAT 2003 20:18:12.xxxxxxx DISASTER Subsys: NS_LS_PROBE LOC:01001 Network NS_LS_PROBE DISASTER 1001, pid arp: ether address is broadcast for IP address zzzzzzz! " where... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SEB
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

network address and broadcast address?

say I have a IP address which is 10.0.0.12, and subnet mask is 255.255.255.240, what is the network address and what is the broadcast address which host lives on? And could you explain how to get the answer? thanx in advance! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pnxi
7 Replies

4. Solaris

bge card and broadcast address

I have a bge1 card and a bge0 card, i want the broadcast addresses to match, ifconfig shows this lo0: flags=1000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 8232 index 1 inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000 bge0: flags=1000843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 2 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: csaunders
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

network and broadcast address

Hi Suppose You have two computers. One named kenny which has an IP address of 192.168.0.7. kenny lives on a subnet with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.240. The second computer is called zathras, which has an IP address of 192.168.0.17, zathras lives on a network with the same subnet mask. i)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scofiled83
4 Replies

6. Solaris

ifconfig - making netmask & broadcast address permanent?

hi, I am trying to configure one of my interfaces, but after reboot - i lose the changes to the netmask & broadcast address. I have added an entry in /etc/netmasks, but it doesnt pick up the new settings. any ideas - much appreciated. before reboot: eri0:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: badoshi
3 Replies

7. Programming

How to broadcast a message ?

My problem definition is ,I have to send a message from one node in a network and it has to be broadcasted to all other nodes in the network.The program what I have given below will be running in all the nodes in the network.The same program should be capable of sending(broadcasting) and receiving.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vigneshinbox
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to give broadcast and network address

Hello, I am running a post script in autoyast where I am trying to set the broadcast and network address. I have the ip address and netmask already (reading from a file).. I saw the post from fpmurphy but it is using ksh which isn't an option in autoyast. Thanks in advance! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bloodclot
3 Replies

9. IP Networking

how to do udp broadcast with multithreading

hello to all i want to use multithreading to my UDP broadcast server client program. will anyone help me by proving C code. i am working in fedora. also my requirement is POSIX compliance.please help me..... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: moti12
0 Replies

10. AIX

Broadcast on AIX

hello how to disable brodcast from AIX 5.3 ? user get on workstation massage from root thx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ariec
3 Replies
net_getlifaddr(9F)					   Kernel Functions for Drivers 					net_getlifaddr(9F)

NAME
net_getlifaddr - determine a network address for a given interface SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/neti.h> int net_getlifaddr(const net_data_t net, const phy_if_t ifp, const net_if_t lif, int const type, struct sockaddr* storage); INTERFACE LEVEL
Solaris DDI specific (Solaris DDI). PARAMETERS
net value returned from a successful call to net_protocol_lookup(9F). ifp value returned from a successful call to net_phylookup(9F) or net_phygetnext(9F), indicating which network interface the infor- mation should be returned from. lif indicates the logical interface from which to fetch the address. type indicates what type of address should be returned. See below for more details on this field. storage pointer to an area of memory to store the address data. DESCRIPTION
The net_getlifaddr() function retrieves the address information for each logical interface. Each call to net_getlifaddr() requires that the caller pass a pointer to an array of address information types to retrieve, and an accompanying pointer to an array of pointers to struct sockaddr structures to which to copy the address information. See net_lifgetnext(9F) for an example on how to use this function. Each member of the address type array should be one of the values listed here. NA_ADDRESS Return the network address associated with the logical interface (lif) that belongs to the network interface (ifp). NA_PEER Return the address assigned to the remote host for point to point network interfaces for the given network/logical inter- face. NA_BROADCAST Return the broadcast address assigned to the given network/logical interface for network interfaces that support broadcast packets. NA_NETMASK Return the netmask associated with the given network/logical interface for network interfaces that support broadcast pack- ets. RETURN VALUES
The net_getlifaddr() function returns: -1 The network protocol does not support this function. 0 Successful completion. 1 Unsuccessful. CONTEXT
The net_getifaddr() function may be called from user, kernel, or interrupt context. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
net_lifgetnext(9F), net_phylookup(9F), net_phygetnext(9F)net_protocol_lookup(9F) SunOS 5.11 13 Oct 2008 net_getlifaddr(9F)