Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Another Listing Question
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Another Listing Question Post 105 by Astudent on Thursday 19th of October 2000 09:45:10 PM
Old 10-19-2000
Don't worry about this one - I've solved the case.

ls report06*99*

That's the answer - I can't beleive I didn't try that.
Wow I was stuck on this one for a few hours.
Thanks again.

b

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Recursive directory listing without listing files

Does any one know how to get a recursive directory listing in long format (showing owner, group, permission etc) without listing the files contained in the directories. The following command also shows the files but I only want to see the directories. ls -lrtR * (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: psingh
4 Replies

2. Programming

Listing Files

Dear All, I want to list all the files of a Directory. I am not able to find out the code. So plz send me code in C in Unix Environmrnt so that I can Display all the file names of a Directory (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna_sicsr
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Quick listing question

Just a quick question. Is there a command that just lists the folders in a directory. I know of 'ls -p' that shows the directories with a '/' at the end. Though i would just like to have a list of the folders instead of everything else in that folder. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jaken
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

listing files question

hello im new to linux programming trying to list files in a directory i current have the code to list all the files but i do not want the hidden files to show such as a file named .openoffice.org2.0 for example, can anyone help me or point me in the right direction #include <sys/types.h>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fortune
2 Replies

5. HP-UX

Listing Middleware

I want to know if a server has J2EE application server installed, a webserver or any other middleware, is there a command to output a list or something like that. Thak you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eponcedeleonc
1 Replies

6. SCO

CPIO listing from tape question...

Hi. I have this old server onto which i needed to list the content of a tape. This is a SCO box (SCO_SV 3.2 5.0.6 i386) and backup was done using cpio. #tape status status : ready beginning-of-tape soft errors : 0 hard errors : 0 underruns : 0 #dtype /dev/rct0 /dev/rct0 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stephan
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

listing files

Hi Guys, I need to list out the files which are not ending with particular extension in ksh but the extension can come within the file name. Please help me.. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jesu
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple listing directory question

I have a very basic question: How do I list all the directories in the following order? If I do ls -l I get different results than I want to achieve. dir.1 dir.2 dir.3 dir.4 dir.5 dir.6 dir.7 dir.8 dir.9 dir.10 dir.11 dir.12 dir.13 dir.14 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jville
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] How to remove listing of current user cmd from ps -ef listing?

Hi All, Could you please help to resolve my following issues: Problem Description: Suppose my user name is "MI90". i.e. $USER = MI90 when i run below command, i get all the processes running on the system containing name MQ. ps -ef | grep MQ But sometimes it lists... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: KDMishra
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Formatted Directory Listing Question

Greetings to you. I have a quick question for the community today ;) I'm interested in the following format for recursive output from a command such as "ls" or "dir" when pointed to a folder: ...but there doesn't seem to be coverage for this type of output formatting in the manpages. Maybe... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinQ
11 Replies
QUIZ(6) 							 BSD Games Manual							   QUIZ(6)

NAME
quiz -- random knowledge tests SYNOPSIS
quiz [-t] [-i file] [question answer] DESCRIPTION
The quiz utility tests your knowledge of random facts. It has a database of subjects from which you can choose. With no arguments, quiz displays the list of available subjects. The options are as follows: -t Use tutorial mode, in which questions are repeated later if you didn't get them right the first time, and new questions are presented less frequently to help you learn the older ones. -i Specify an alternative index file. Subjects are divided into categories. You can pick any two categories from the same subject. quiz will ask questions from the first cate- gory and it expects answers from the second category. For example, the command ``quiz victim killer'' asks questions which are the names of victims, and expects you to answer with the cause of their untimely demise, whereas the command ``quiz killer victim'' works the other way around. If you get the answer wrong, quiz lets you try again. To see the right answer, enter a blank line. Index and Data File Syntax The index and data files have a similar syntax. Lines in them consist of several categories separated by colons. The categories are regular expressions formed using the following meta-characters: pat|pat alternative patterns {pat} optional pattern [pat] delimiters, as in pat[pat|pat]pat In an index file, each line represents a subject. The first category in each subject is the pathname of the data file for the subject. The remaining categories are regular expressions for the titles of each category in the subject. In data files, each line represents a question/answer set. Each category is the information for the question/answer for that category. The backslash character (``'') is used to quote syntactically significant characters, or at the end of a line to signify that a continuation line follows. If either a question or its answer is empty, quiz will refrain from asking it. FILES
/usr/share/games/bsdgames/quiz The default index and data files. BUGS
quiz is pretty cynical about certain subjects. BSD
May 31, 1993 BSD