Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unix for Macintosh
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Answers to Frequently Asked Questions Where do I download LINUX & UNIX? Unix for Macintosh Post 10480 by LivinFree on Thursday 15th of November 2001 12:45:55 AM
Old 11-15-2001
If you want a full distribution, also check out Yellow Dog Linux.

Their <a href="http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/resources/ftp_mirrors.shtml">download</a> section has a nice simple list of where to get it, and the "supported machines" list covers iMac as well!

I haven't used Yellow Dog myself, however. Does anyone else use it? Is it a good, full featured Linux distribution?

Also, Neo, could this be added to the FAQ section? I just noticed there is no information for Mac systems...

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Game spy arcade for halo and macintosh?

I need help i heard you can play halo over online and you have a macintosh version where can I get it please respond (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: memattmyself
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Is Unix a Network operating system for Macintosh computers

I am in the process of reading up on and learning about linux,and as i read, i am seeing that it was built off of the unix system platform,and i also believe that it is used in the mac computer field,i would like to know if this is true, and if i should learn about the macintosh computer... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bill1263
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Macintosh user needs help with pop3d

Hi folks! I am not a power user, and have been able to enable Postfix to run on my Macintosh. It was a little bit difficult for me. But I payed good attention, while following an Internet Tutorial. Postfix version 2.1.5 I can send out emails, from local accounts or even from other... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fundidor
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

IP Address History for Macintosh

Hi all, I have been assigned the following task; I have a Macintosh iBook laptop computer running OSX (10.3). This computer was used to download some unwanted content from the Internet. We know by looking at the browser history that these downloads took place between May 1 and May 3. What... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: olifer
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX in the MacIntosh (for sed people)

Hi, I'm trying to use sed to process some files on Macs running OSX. Anyone know anything about Macs and sed? Here's the problem sed 's/^/ /g' test_file > endfile (there are spaces betwen the second and third /, but the forum software compresses them) This should put spaces at... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Laurel Maury
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

macintosh

hello, i am new to this forum. i own a macbook pro running mac os x 10.5.2 leopard. just wondering, if these forums will help me? i work a lot in an application called terminal, it is apples command line. i like programming and have questions, like there was a post about text scrolling, the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamesapp
2 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

Macintosh Mount Clarification

Hi All, I am having a clarification regarding the mounted file systems on a normal mac. This is the output displayed once i launch terminal and key in mount command. ************************************************** /dev/disk0s2 on / (hfs, local, journaled) devfs on /dev (devfs, local,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Achilles_Hectar
1 Replies
RINSE(8)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide						  RINSE(8)

NAME
rinse - RPM Installation Entity. SYNOPSIS
rinse [options] Help Options: --help Show help information. --manual Read the manual for this script. --version Show the version information and exit. Mandatory Options: --arch Specify the architecture to install. --directory The directory to install the distribution within. --distribution The distribution to install. Customization Options: --add-pkg-list Additional packages to download and install --after-post-install Additionally run the specified script after the post install script. --before-post-install Additionally run the specified script before the post install script. --post-install Run the given post-install script instead of the default files in /usr/lib/rinse/$distro Misc Options: --cache Should we use a local cache? (Default is 1) --cache-dir Specify the directory we should use for the cache. --clean-cache Clean our cache of .rpm files. --config Specify a different configuration file. (Default is /etc/rinse/rinse.conf) --pkgs-dir Specify a different directory containing <distribution>.packages files. --mirror Specify the URL of the mirror. (Default is to read it from /etc/rinse/rinse.conf) --list-distributions Show installable distributions. --print-uris Only show the RPMs which should be downloaded. default files in /usr/lib/rinse/$distro --verbose Enable verbose output. OPTIONS
--arch Specify the architecture to install. Valid choices are 'amd64' and 'i386' only. --add-pkg-list Add a list of additional packages. --cache Specify whether to cache packages (1) or not (0). --cache-dir Specify the directory we should use for the cache. --clean-cache Remove all cached .rpm files. --directory Specify the directory into which the distribution should be installed. --distribution Specify the distribution to be installed. --help Show help information. --mirror Specify the URL of the mirror. Normally this is read from /etc/rinse/rinse.conf. --list-distributions Show the distributions which are installable. --manual Read the manual for this script. --print-uris Only show the files we would download, don't actually do so. --verbose Enable verbose output. --version Show the version number and exit. DESCRIPTION
rinse is a simple script which is designed to be able to install a minimal working installation of an RPM-based distribution into a directory. The tool is analogous to the standard Debian GNU/Linux debootstrap utility. USAGE
To use this script you will need to be root. This is required to mount /proc, run chroot, and more. Basic usage is as simple as: rinse --distribution fedora-core-6 --directory /tmp/test This will download the required RPM files and unpack them into a minimal installation of Fedora Core 6. To see which RPM files would be downloaded, without actually performing an installation or downloading anything, then you may run the following: rinse --distribution fedora-core-6 --print-uris TODO
Short of supporting more distributions or architectures there aren't really any outstanding issues. AUTHOR
Steve -- http://www.steve.org.uk/ LICENSE
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 by Steve Kemp. All rights reserved. Copyright (c) 2011-2013 by Thomas Lange. This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The LICENSE file contains the full text of the license. 2.0.1 2013-01-28 RINSE(8)