Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: problem with the startup
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers problem with the startup Post 10419 by LivinFree on Tuesday 13th of November 2001 11:36:22 PM
Old 11-14-2001
Well, if you didn't install a program to boot your computer into BSD, and you don't have a boot floppy, that will definitely be your problem...

Can you do a "rescue boot" from the installation CD? If, get in there, and create a darn boot disk!

Sorry, I can't offer more specifics, but I am not very familiar with FreeBSD installations procedures...

<a href="http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html">FreeBSD.org</a> has a great documentation set online, though. Have fun!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

databse startup problem

i have oracle database startup problem. i have installed oracle8i(8.1.7) on windowsXP i have configured everything properly but i m unable to start database automatically and for this when i checked services of database it shows starting not started so i have to start it manually.Can u plz tell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vandana
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Irix - startup script problem

Hi there. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum but I guess a moderator can shift it if needed. I've set up a shell script to be run as a user that fires at startup on Solaris and RedHat by adding su - <user> -c <Path_to_Script>/<script>.sh And it works great. Problem is I can't get this to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rshampshire
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to diagnosis the problem on Solaris 10 for DB startup

I run Oracle 10g on Solaris 10 Sparc machine. I created a dbora file to automatically start Oracle database when UNIX system reboot. I created this dbora file under /etc/init.d, Then link it to /etc/rc0.d/K10dbora and /etc/rc2.d/S99dbora. When I reboot solaris 10 system to test this script. It... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
2 Replies

4. BSD

[OpenBSD] DNS startup problem

I have the DNS files set up on my OpenBSD 4.0 amd64 system however when I run named, I get the following error in my logs: Sep 23 10:43:03 grunty named: starting BIND 9.3.2-P1 Sep 23 10:43:03 grunty named: /etc/named.conf:25: change directory to '/var/named' failed: file not found Sep 23... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BOFH
2 Replies

5. Linux

startup problem

Hello: I have a little problem, I have Windows Xp in my desktop, yesterday I installed centos 5. Now when the Pc starts it goes directly to windows and I do not have the option to start centos. Xp and centos are in the same disk. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcpetela
4 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Windows vista startup problem

I all, I have a problem on my Windows Vista that began afetr the purchase of an external Hard Disk Freecom. A few days afetr the purchase I disconnected it while it was writing and, since that moment, every time I connect and disconnect it, the PC go to freeze mode for 5 minutes. The same... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ubertino
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Apache tomcat startup script not booting at startup.

I copied the script from an AskUbuntu post - #!/bin/bash ### BEGIN INIT INFO # Provides: tomcat7 # Required-Start: $network # Required-Stop: $network # Default-Start: 2 3 4 5 # Default-Stop: 0 1 6 # Short-Description: Start/Stop Tomcat server ### END INIT INFO ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hijanoqu
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Startup script problem

The attached file is a copy of my rc.local. The rc.local script appears to execute as the tightvncserver gets started. However the nodemon process does not start. The element nodemon is a symlink to nodemon and the path is correct. I have a little start script located in the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: barrygordon
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Problem in UNIX redhat v2.4.7-10 when startup

THE PROBLEM IS: Intializing USB controller (usb-uhci);Hint;insmod errors can be caused by in correct module parameters, including invailid IO or IRQ parsmeter lib /modules/2.4.7-10/kernel/drivers /usb-uhci.o:insmod/lib/modules/2.4.7/10/kernel/driverd/usb/usb-uhci.o failed Checking... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Weso
6 Replies
CR_SEEOTHERGIDS(9)					   BSD Kernel Developer's Manual					CR_SEEOTHERGIDS(9)

NAME
cr_seeothergids -- determine visibility of objects given their group memberships SYNOPSIS
int cr_seeothergids(struct ucred *u1, struct ucred *u2); DESCRIPTION
This function determines the visibility of objects in the kernel based on the group IDs in the credentials u1 and u2 associated with them. The visibility of objects is influenced by the sysctl(8) variable security.bsd.see_other_gids. If this variable is non-zero then all objects in the kernel are visible to each other irrespective of their group membership. If this variable is zero then the object with credentials u2 is visible to the object with credentials u1 if either u1 is the super-user credential, or if at least one of u1's group IDs is present in u2's group set. SYSCTL VARIABLES
security.bsd.see_other_gids Must be non-zero if objects with unprivileged credentials are to be able to see each other. RETURN VALUES
This function returns zero if the object with credential u1 can ``see'' the object with credential u2, or ESRCH otherwise. SEE ALSO
cr_seeotheruids(9), p_candebug(9) BSD
November 11, 2003 BSD