Sponsored Content
Special Forums Cybersecurity J need help to make callback by Modem (AIX) Post 1038 by PxT on Monday 5th of February 2001 06:23:53 PM
Old 02-05-2001
Replace your getty program for the modem with "mgetty". It works on AIX and supports callback features.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Modem - Test /dev/modem

Ok. I tried following the directions from some of the other threads, but I've hit a road block. I have red hat 7.3 and I installed the hcf package: hcfpcimodem-0.99lnxtbeta03042700k2.4.18_3-1rh.i386.rpm It installed ok, no errors, but I still can't get linux to find my modem. I've tried... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lawadm1
2 Replies

2. AIX

Problem MAKE cc: not found on AIX 5.3 please help me...

Hi guys, I am trying to install Big Brother monitoring on my box p570 AIX5.3ML2. But the after the installation you must run a make and it is failed see below the message: /home/bb/bb1.9h-btf/src/ # make Making aix makefile BBOS="aix" CC="cc" CFLAGS=" -Daix -DTIMEH -DREGEXEC... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: touny
1 Replies

3. AIX

GSM Modem (Wavecom M1306B) on AIX 5.3

Hi, I'm developing a Java Application which is able send out SMS Right now, this application needs to be deployed into AIX 5.3 Previously I was using RXTX Serial Comm for Sun Solaris, RH Linux and Win2k When it comes to AIX, I'd discovered not much info can be found in the web Anyhow,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: darontan
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

GSM Modem (Wavecom M1306B) on AIX 5.3

Hi, I'm developing a Java Application which is able send out SMS Right now, this application needs to be deployed into AIX 5.3 Previously I was using RXTX Serial Comm for Sun Solaris, RH Linux and Win2k When it comes to AIX, I'd discovered not much info can be found in the web Anyhow,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: darontan
2 Replies

5. IP Networking

Connect to RAS callback server: route problem

I'm trying to use my Gentoo Linux home workstation for connecting to a Windows RAS callback server through analogic telephone line (PSTN). I'm using pppd and successfully configured pppd's options and chat files, both for the outgoing call and for receiving the incoming callback. All seems going... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: robotronic
20 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Looking for resource on setting up history callback for shells

CSH, BASH, KSH, TCSH... They're all different, and I want to know how to setup automatic history for each of them? I always use KSH myself and use ctrl-k to bringup my history. It also allows me to search my history and has vi editing. I want to be able to do the same with other shells. I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: srhadden
0 Replies

7. AIX

Does anyone know the version of make on AIX 5.1 & 5.3?

Could you tell me the version of default make on AIX 5.1 & 5.3? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: redraiment
2 Replies

8. AIX

gnu make fir AIX 5.3 and gcc 3.3.2

Hi all i had installed gcc version 3.3.2 on my AIX 5.3 machine. which make utility i have to instal so it will fit the gcc version tnx skfn (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skfn1203
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

In AIX, what is the difference between installp and make install?

I've used installp to install packages but when is it ideal to use make install? Havent had the opportunity to use this yet. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NycUnxer
2 Replies

10. AIX

What is the purpose of /aha fs in AIX. how we can make use of this feature ?

Hi, We've upgraded the AIX few weeks ago. Now i see a new filesystem. Can you please give some info about this? How we can make use of this fs? Please provide me any appropriate links. />df -g /aha Filesystem GB blocks Free %Used Iused %Iused Mounted on /aha -... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
3 Replies
mgetty(8)						       mgetty+sendfax manual							 mgetty(8)

NAME
mgetty - smart modem getty SYNOPSIS
mgetty [options] ttydevice [gettydefs] DESCRIPTION
Mgetty is a ``smart'' getty replacement, designed to be used with hayes compatible data and data/fax modems. Mgetty knows about modem ini- tialization, manual modem answering (so your modem doesn't answer if the machine isn't ready), UUCP locking (so you can use the same device for dial-in and dial-out). Mgetty provides very extensive logging facilities. This manpage doesn't try to detail mgetty setup in detail, it just lists the most important options. For detailed instructions, see the info file mgetty.info (mgetty.texi). OPTIONS
-k <space> Tells mgetty to leave <space> kbytes free on disk when receiving a fax. -x <debug level> Use the given level of verbosity for logging - 0 means no logging, 9 is really noisy. The log file is usually /tmp/log_mg.<device> -s <speed> Set the port speed to use, e.g. "-s 19200". -r Tells mgetty that it is running on a direct line. UUCP locking is done, but no modem initialization whatsoever. -p <login prompt> Use the given string to prompt users for their login names. Various tokens are allowed in this string. These tokens are: @ for the system name, , , g, , v, f, for newline, carriage return, bell, backspace, vertical tab, form feed, and tab, respec- tively. P and L will expand to the tty name ("ttyS0"). Y will give the Caller ID, I the "CONNECT foobar" string returned by the modem, and S will output the port speed. s, m, V, R represent the operating system, the hardware name, the OS version, the OS release. N and U give the number of users currently logged in. C will be changed into the result of ctime(), and D and T will output the date and time, respectively. Finally, <digit> will use digit as octal/decimal/hexadecimal representation of the charac- ter to follow. The default prompt is specified at compile time. -n # Tells mgetty to pick up the phone after the #th RING. Default is 1. -R <t> Tells mgetty to go into "ringback" (aka "ring-twice") mode. That means: the first call is never answered, instead the caller has to hang up after the phone RINGs, wait 30 seconds, and then call again in the next <t> seconds for mgetty to pick up. If no call comes, mgetty will exit. I do not really recommend using this, better get a second phone line for the modem. -i <issue file> Output <issue file> instead of /etc/issue before prompting for the user name. The same token substitutions as for the the login prompt are done in this file. -D Tells mgetty that the modem is to be treated as a DATA modem, no fax initalization is attempted. -F Tells mgetty that DATA calls are not allowed and the modem should be set to Fax-Only. -C <class> Tells mgetty how to treat the modem. Possible values for <class> are "auto" (default, try to find out whether the modem supports fax), "cls2" (use the class 2 fax command set, even if the modem supports class 2.0), "c2.0" (use the class 2.0 fax command set), "data" (data only, exactly as the -D switch). -S <g3 file> If a call comes in and requests fax polling, mgetty will send the named file. Note: not all fax modems support poll sending. -I <fax id> Use the given fax station ID for fax identification. Not used for data modems. -b Open the port in blocking mode. Best used in combination with "-r". This is the default if mgetty is called as getty. You may want to use this if you want to make use of the two-device / kernel-locking scheme of the Linux and SunOS operating systems (/dev/ttyS.. and /dev/cua..). I do not recommend it, it's just include for completeness, and to be able to use mgetty as a full-featured getty replacement. -a Use autobauding. That is, after a connection is made, mgetty parses the "CONNECT foo" response code of the modem and sets the port speed to the first integer found after the "CONNECT" string, "foo" in this example. You need this if your modem insist on changing its DTE speed to match the line speed. I recommend against using it, better leave the port speed locked at a fixed value. The fea- ture is included because there exist old modems that cannot use a fixed (locked) port speed. -m 'expect send ...' Set the "chat sequence" that is used to initialize the modem. For an empty expect part, use empty double quotes (""). Since the sequence contains spaces, you have to enclose all of it in single quotes(''). Example: mgetty -m '"" ATH0 OK' FILES
/etc/mgetty/mgetty.config Main configuration file. /etc/mgetty/login.config controls whether (and when) mgetty should call some other program for user login instead of /bin/login. How this is done is explained in this file. /etc/mgetty/dialin.config controls acceptance/denial of incoming calls based on the caller's number. Available only if you have "caller ID" and your modem supports it. /etc/nologin.ttyxx controls whether mgetty should pick up the phone upon incoming calls. If the file exists, calls are completely ignored. You can use this, for example, to stop mgetty during day time, and let it pick up at night only, by creating and removing /etc/nologin.ttyxx via the cron program at the appropriate time. /etc/issue will be printed after a connection is established, and before the with the '-i' option. /var/log/mgetty/mg_ttyxx.log Debug log file, see below. DIAGNOSTICS
If mgetty doesn't work the way it should, the main source of diagnostic data is the log file. It can be found in "/var/log/mgetty/mg_ttyxx.log" (for the mgetty process handling "ttyxx"). If it doesn't contain enough details, enhance the log level with the '-x' option to mgetty, e.g. "-x 5". Many of the common problems and solutions are discussed in the mgetty manual and the FAQ. Please see the WWW page at http://alpha.gree- nie.net/mgetty/ for both. BUGS
Not all of mgetty configuration can be done at run-time yet. Things like flow control and file paths (log file / lock file) have to be con- figured by changing the source and recompiling. Users never read manuals... SEE ALSO
g32pbm(1), sendfax(8), getty(8), mgettydefs(4), mgetty.info AUTHOR
mgetty is Copyright (C) 1993 by Gert Doering, <gert@greenie.muc.de>. greenie 27 Oct 93 - 21 Jul 98 mgetty(8)