Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting echoed prompt not appearing until after read command. Post 102526 by simonb on Sunday 19th of March 2006 10:15:46 AM
Old 03-19-2006
Yes, that fixed it!

I did a slight variation based on what I found in a Slackware rc.local script.

Quote:
exec </dev/console >/dev/console 2>&1
Not sure if it makes much difference (I have to burn another CD to find out), but I'm happy the script is behaving itself now.

Thanks for helping :-)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SuSE

inconsistent ls command display at the command prompt & running as a cron job

Sir, I using the following commands in a file (part of a bigger script): #!/bin/bash cd /opt/oracle/bin ls -lt | tail -1 | awk '{print $6}' >> /tmp/ramb.out If I run this from the command prompt the result is: 2007-05-16 if I run it as a cron job then... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajranibl
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Putting echoed text into a new file

Hi, I've set up a script so that a user answers questions, and then these answers come back onto the screen accompanied by text that I've echoed. Is there a way of putting this into a new file? Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: likelylad
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read -p "prompt text" foo say "read: bad option(s)" in Bourne-Shell

Hallo, i need a Prompting read in my script: read -p "Enter your command: " command But i always get this Error: -p: is not an identifier When I run these in c-shell i get this error /usr/bin/read: read: bad option(s) How can I use a Prompt in the read command? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: wiseguy
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

execution of a string being echoed in bash

hi all, I am trying to do a loop on a series of plotting function shown below: colorlist=(blue red green); n=0; for k in $xy; do psbasemap $range -JM$scale -B10g5 -X1 -Y1 -P -K > $outfile pscoast $range -JM$scale -B10g5 -D$res -P -W$lwidth -G$fill -O -K >> $outfile echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ida1215
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pine email tool suppress prompt to save read messages

Could somebody please advise about how to configure pine/alpine so that on exit it doesn't prompt me to save read messages? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LeoKSimon
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

space after read prompt?

Hello, Unix-Forums. How can I make a Space after a read prompt? let's assume: read -p "Are you good?:" varthe output would be ( | is the cursor ): Are you good?:|But I want it to be: Are you good?: |That's what I mean. How would I do that? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: intelinside
2 Replies

7. Programming

PHP Echoed in Ajax

I have built a site in PHP for radio station, and the daily schedule is displayed dynamically using PHP script. I have added links to view different days but when it loads up its just loading up a new page. I can't quite remember how I done it but I'd like it to be in ajax if that's... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AimyThomas
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using read to prompt for editable user input in Bash 3

Below is a simple script to prompt for user input while suggesting an editable default value at the prompt: shortname=user1 read -e -i $shortname -p "Please enter the username you would like to add: " input USERNAME="${input:-$shortname}" Please enter the username you would like to add:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: woodson2
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

PS1 (Prompt character) appearing in cat output

RedHat Linux 5.8/Korn Shell I have text file name /etc/oracle/config.loc. It has the following text #Device/file getting replaced by device +OCR ocrconfig_loc=+DATA ocrmirrorconfig_loc=+OCRBut , when I open this file using cat , the PS1 character (for prompt) appears as the last character... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega3
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

OSX read silent with prompt

A minor nitpick, but I cannot get a statement like: read -s -n 1 -p "Say Y or N here" -e ANS to actually hush the response. If I don't use the -p option, the response is silent. With it, I always see the response, and I've tried putting the -s in different spots. Is this a known issue, or... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jnojr
2 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [-k] [-q] [-t time] [file [command ...]] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. If the argument command ... is given, script will run the specified command with an optional argument vector instead of an interactive shell. Options: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -k Log keys sent to program as well as output. -q Run in quiet mode, omit the start and stop status messages. -t time Specify time interval between flushing script output file. A value of 0 causes script to flush for every character I/O event. The default interval is 30 seconds. The script ends when the forked shell (or command) exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. The script utility works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen. The results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal, not an addressable one. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
The script utility places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. It is not possible to specify a command without also naming the script file because of argument parsing compatibility issues. When running in -k mode, echo cancelling is far from ideal. The slave terminal mode is checked for ECHO mode to check when to avoid manual echo logging. This does not work when in a raw mode where the program being run is doing manual echo. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD