Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: TAR and GZIP help
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers TAR and GZIP help Post 102318 by Unbeliever on Friday 17th of March 2006 06:35:21 AM
Old 03-17-2006
It really depends on whether the gzipped tar file will be less than the 1gb of free space you currently have. If so then

Code:
tar cvf - {file list} | gzip -c > all-pdfs.tar.gz

Of if you have GNU tar then simply

Code:
tar zcvf all-pdfs.tar.gz {file list}

Alternatively you could make a list of pdf files in, say, 500gb chunks and use the 'r' flag on tar to add them to an existing archive. eg

Code:
# Creat initial archive
tar cvf all-pdfs.tar {1st file list}
rm {1st file list}

# Add files to archive
tar rvf all-pdfs.tar {2nd file list}
rm {2nd file list}
tar rvf all-pdfs.tar {3rd file list}
rm {3rd file list}
etc ..

Unbeliever

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Combine tar and gzip together?

Hello I just wandering, instead to doing "tar cvf foo.tar * " and then gzip foo.tar , can't it be combined to one command ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can i tar and gzip in one liner ?

hello can i combine this 2 commands in one liner command? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar/gzip/gz...which one to use?

P0251WLADC.svm_wl1 > /svm_wl1/billing/data/server/archive/ALLEVT $ du -k FEB2006 22050224 FEB2006 As you can see,i have a folder called "FEB2006" which is around 22 GB. i guess zip or compress wont work...( i don know how do we compress a folder) i wished to use ""tar" ( i suppose... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhijeetkul
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar and gzip

Hi, I would like to have a combined gzip and tar that will compress and create multiple output tar.gz files. I want to have multiple files output because i cannot create an archive because there is no more space on my harddisk. I cannot transfer it locally because of slow connection. I want to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tungaw2004
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shortcut for tar cvf - [filename] | gzip > [filename].tar.gz

i'd like to have an alias (or something similar) where i can type a command like "archive" and a filename and have it tar and gzip the file, so... $ archive filename results in filename.tar.gz...do i have to write a script to do this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bcamp1973
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar + gzip + split together

Hi All I need guidance on this requirement . We have a directory structure which has data of approx 100 GB We need to tar the structure then zip it and create different files of not more than 10 GB A separate tar file then a .gz should not be created , on the fly a script is needed... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aamir1234
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar and gzip problem

Hi Guys, I have a few files. i want to tar these files and zip it using gzip it. -rw-r----- 1 magesh magesh 12940369 Jul 27 09:26 dcx_imds_c.asc -rw-r----- 1 magesh magesh 1221391 Jul 27 09:27 dcx_imds_h.asc -rw-r----- 1 magesh magesh 1105673 Jul 27 09:27... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar and gzip extraction issues

Not sure if this is really in the right forum but here goes.... Looking for a way to extract individual compressed files from a compressed tarball WITHOUT tar -zxvf and then recompressing. Basically we need to be able to chunk out an individual compressed file while it still remains... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: athos
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar and gzip files

Hi Guys, I am using RHEL5 and Solaris 9 & 10. I want to tar and gzip my files then remove them after a successful tar command... Lets say I have files with extension .arc then I want to tar and gzip these files. After successful tar command I want to remove all these files (i.e .arc). ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phuti
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Facing issues with tar and gzip !

Hi, I am trying to :- (1.) Tar the file and then (2.) Gzip it ! Tar command :- tar -cvf BLUESTAR_Archive.log_$(date +%y_%m_%d_%H_%M).tar /app/local/XXX/XXX/XXX/logs Gzip command :- Gzip /app/local/XXX/XXX/XXX/logs/BLUESTAR_Archive.log_$(date +%y_%m_%d_%H_%M).tar ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: acidburn_007
9 Replies
gst-complete-0.8(1)						   User Commands					       gst-complete-0.8(1)

NAME
gst-complete-0.8, gst-complete - perform bash completion for gst-launch command lines SYNOPSIS
complete -Cgst-complete-0.8 gst-launch gst-complete [--gst-list-mm] [--gst-mm=string] [--print] DESCRIPTION
gst-complete-0.8 enables bash to provide context-sensitive tab completion for gst-launch command lines. See gst-launch(1) for the syntax of gst-launch command lines. You must have a version of bash that supports programmable completion. Such versions of bash provide the complete built-in command. gst-complete is a wrapper script that runs the latest installed version of gst-complete-X.X. For example, if both gst-complete-0.7 and gst- complete-0.8 are installed on your system, gst-complete runs gst-complete-0.8. OPTIONS
The following options are supported by gst-complete-0.8 and gst-complete: --help Display detailed usage message. You can also use -? to specify this option. The following options are supported by gst-complete only: --gst-list-mm List found major/minor versions. This option displays the versions that are available. --gst-mm=string Force major/minor version. This option enables you to specify a specific version to run, if you do not want to run the default version. --print Print wrapped command line. This option displays the command that will be run, and then runs the command. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Generating the Registry of Available Plugins by Running gst-compprep Run the following command in your .bash_profile or other appropriate place: example% complete -C gst-complete-0.8 gst-launch Example 2: Running the Wrapper Script and Displaying the Command Name example% gst-complete --print /usr/bin/gst-complete-0.8 FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gst-complete-0.Executable for bash completion for gst-launch /usr/bin/gst-complete Wrapper script that runs the latest installed version of gst-complete-X.X ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-media | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gst-compprep(1), gst-feedback(1), gst-inspect(1), gst-launch(1), gst-launch-ext(1), gst-md5sum(1), gst-register(1), gst-thumbnail(1), gst- typefind(1), gst-xmlinspect(1), gst-xmllaunch(1), gstreamer-properties(1), libgstreamer-0.8(3), libgstgetbits(3) NOTES
Original man page written by the GStreamer team at http://gstreamer.net/. Updated by Brian Cameron, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2004. SunOS 5.10 14 Oct 2004 gst-complete-0.8(1)