Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting tell me how many specific characters there are? Post 102315 by dhananjaysk on Friday 17th of March 2006 05:37:10 AM
Old 03-17-2006
Try this

Hi ,

try this...program has not takes care of Blank characters

echo " Enter the File name"
read file
cnt=`wc -c < $file`
echo "Enter Character to be searched"
read char
ans=` cat $file | tr -d [$char] `
ans=`echo $ans | wc -c`
act_cnt=`expr $cnt - $ans`
echo " Their are $act_cnt '$char' characters in file $file"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Terminal-specific characters in password

Good morning! I am using a shell script to back up user email files to a remote location. The problem is, one (and apparently more than one) users have the symbol "@" in their password. As you can see from the line: /sbin/mount_smbfs... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: PittWolfBW
5 Replies

2. AIX

Delete specific characters

Hi every1 Well i have a list of numbers e.g 12304 13450 01234 00123 14567 what i want is a command to check if the number is starting from 0 and then delete the 0 without doing anything else!!!! any help wud b appreciated!!!!!!!!:( (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: masquerer
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing specific characters in a string

Hi Friends, Following is an output of a script OPWQERIUTYKLSADFJHGXZNMCVBWQOPERIUTYKLSADFJHGXZNMCVB I want to replace above string's 11 to 17 character by ******* (7 stars) How can it be done? Please somebody guide me. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing all characters on and before specific point

Im having a file with records DB1635 |Y|N|DB1632 |000024968_202 |0|000024968302|RCF02| DB1636 |Y|N|DB1633 |000024968_203 |0|000024968302|RCF02| i want to get output as Y|DB1632 |RCF02| Y|DB1633 |RCF02| how can i do this ?? any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Trendz
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting values with specific characters

I have a file with 3 columns 2 4 5 2 4 7 3 5 7 4 -6 9 5 -9 4 6 -3 3 Bascially I want to delete the entire row if column 2 is a "-" So the end result will be 2 4 5 2 4 7 3 5 7 I have trouble doing this cause of the - in front of the number. thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kylle345
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generate specific amount of same characters

Hi, Is there a command to print one character x amont of times? I need for example 10 comma's (,,,,,,,,,,). Instead of creating a loop, I was wondering if there is a way to do this with sed or awk? Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Subbeh
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replacing specific characters and control characters by escaping

sed -e "s// /g" old.txt > new.txt While I do know some control characters need to be escaped, can normal characters also be escaped and still work the same way? Basically I do not know all control characters that have a special meaning, for example, ?, ., % have a meaning and have to be escaped... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ijustneeda
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't figure out how to find specific characters in specific columns

I am trying to find a specific set of characters in a long file. I only want to find the characters in column 265 for 4 bytes. Is there a search for that? I tried cut but couldn't get it to work. Ex. I want to find '9999' in column 265 for 4 bytes. If it is in there, I want it to print... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Drenhead
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count specific characters at specific column positions

Hi all, I need help. I have an input text file (input.txt) like this: 21 GTGCAACACCGTCTTGAGAGG 50 21 GACCGAGACAGAATGAAAATC 73 21 CGGGTCTGTAGTAGCAAACGC 108 21 CGAAAAATGAACCCCTTTATC 220 21 CGTGATCCTGTTGAAGGGTCG 259 Now I need to count A/T/G/C numbers at each character location in column... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thienxho
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing specific characters using sed

Hi, I have a text file which is output from a server and it lists all the files in a specific volume. However, the volume name appears as volume_name:. I would like to replace this with \\volume_name\volume_name. This is not a problem in itself as I can use sed to globally look for the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vnayak
8 Replies
INSTALLSIEVE(1) 					      General Commands Manual						   INSTALLSIEVE(1)

NAME
installsieve - user utility for managing sieve scripts SYNOPSIS
installsieve DESCRIPTION
installsieve is a utility that allows users to manage their sieve scripts kept on the server. OPTIONS
-v <name> View script with the given name. The script if retrieved sucessfully is output to standard output. -l List all of the scripts currently on the server. If one of the scripts is active a arrow is printed indicating that it is the active script. -p <port> Port to connect to. If left off this defaults to "sieve" as defined in /etc/services. -i <file> Install a file onto the server. If a script with the same name already exists on the server it is overwritten. Upon sucessfully putting the script on the server the script is set active. If <file> has the extension .script it is chopped when put on the server since sieve names may not contain a '.'. -a <name> Set <name> as the active script. The list of available names can be obtained from the '-l' option.. -d <name> Delete the sieve script on the server with <name>. -m <mechanism> Force installsieve to use <mechanism> for authentication. If not specified the strongest authentication mechanism is chosen. -g <name> Get the sieve script with <name> and save it to disk with a ".script" extension. If a file with that name already exists it is overwritten. -u <user> Userid/Authname to use for authentication; by default, the current user. CMU
Project Cyrus INSTALLSIEVE(1)