Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: .bash_history
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users .bash_history Post 10231 by Kelam_Magnus on Friday 9th of November 2001 03:55:23 PM
Old 11-09-2001
jason6792,

Search for under my name, Kelam_Magnus, and look for history answers.

I have a script that will help you keep track per user and you can chmod on the history file that is created.

Smilie

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change .bash_history to another one

we need the help to change .bash_histroy file in root ,(i.e) we want to save the histroy for .temp.txt for permenently. how to do?? Help us (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thakshina
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

.bash_history

During the course of the session before I logout I see some of the commands listed from my previous session but not from my current session and after I logout and log back in I see the commands which I ran before logging out. Does the .bash_history stay in the buffer or someplace else then? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacki
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

.bash_history

Dear All, I am creating users on our servers. the .bash_history supposed to store all the commands entered by the user. My question is, how can I prevent the user himself from editing or viewing this file? I have tried chaning the owner of the .bash_history to be the root user but... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: charbel.n.s
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

.bash_history modification

Hi Experts, I know my question would be strange but i need to understand how the .bash_history file is logging user actions (the mechanism) and if possible modify it to include also the date/time of every action done by the user. Sample file: # more .bash_history ssh <IP address> -l axadmin... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dendany83
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to store time in .bash_history file

Hi - user commands are written in . bash_history of that user when he logs out. my bash_history file shows. not sure what that number means #1329618972 ls -la #1329618978 ls #1329618980 ls -la my bash_profile looks like this PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin export PATH export... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: oraclermanpt
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to recover .bash_history?

rm -rf .bash_history some one ran rm -rf .bash_history on my Linux server(SUSE),I can see this command being run in current history, but I want the OLD history as well,can I recover the old history back. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ankit Bansal
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display .bash_history with timestamp using script

Hi would like to ask if there is anyway to display .bash_history with timestamp using shell script? i know that you should use history command with HISTTIMEFORMAT="%d/%m/%y %T " to display it in terminal but it does not work when i use it on shell script. It seem that you can't run history... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pikamon
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to get the "history" command to show all that is in the .bash_history file?

I am using the bash shell. When I view my recent command history using the "history" command from the prompt, it only shows me the commands starting at #928. The commands I need are earlier than that, but I can't figure out how to make the other 927 display. They are in my .bash_history... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Twinklefingers
1 Replies
CHSH(1) 							   User Commands							   CHSH(1)

NAME
chsh - change login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [options] [LOGIN] DESCRIPTION
The chsh command changes the user login shell. This determines the name of the user's initial login command. A normal user may only change the login shell for her own account; the superuser may change the login shell for any account. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chsh command are: -h, --help Display help message and exit. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -s, --shell SHELL The name of the user's new login shell. Setting this field to blank causes the system to select the default login shell. If the -s option is not selected, chsh operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current login shell. Enter the new value to change the shell, or leave the line blank to use the current one. The current shell is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The only restriction placed on the login shell is that the command name must be listed in /etc/shells, unless the invoker is the superuser, and then any value may be added. An account with a restricted login shell may not change her login shell. For this reason, placing /bin/rsh in /etc/shells is discouraged since accidentally changing to a restricted shell would prevent the user from ever changing her login shell back to its original value. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shells List of valid login shells. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 CHSH(1)