Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Variable Substitution
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Variable Substitution Post 102263 by buffoonix on Thursday 16th of March 2006 06:04:47 PM
Old 03-16-2006
As the Perl folks tend to say, TIMTOWTDI
Here's one way how you could strip $LAN from your $RULES.
<pre>
STRIPPED_RULES=$(echo $RULES|tr \\040 \\012|grep -v $LAN)
</pre>
Of course if LAN contains more than one entry you would also have to
split those entries in situ.
Should your shell script not be using a Posix compatible shell
then you would have to replace the $(...) command substitution
by `...` backtick delimiters.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Substitution in a variable

Hey All, I'm trying to clean up a variable using sed but It dosn't seem to work. I'm trying to find all the spaces and replace them with "\ " (a slash and a space). For Example "Hello World" should become "Hello\ World". But it does nothing. If I put it directly into the command line it works... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: spragueg
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

variable substitution

Hi everyone, I have a simple question to ask : In a script that I'm writting, I need to create variables on-the-fly. For instance, for every iterartion of the following loop a var_X variable should be generated : #!/bin/ksh a="1 2 3" for i in $a do var_${i}=$i echo "${var_$i}" done ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ck-18
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed variable substitution when variable constructed of a directory path

Hello, i have another sed question.. I'm trying to do variable substition with sed and i'm running into a problem. my var1 is a string constructed like this: filename1 filerev1 filepath1 my var2 is another string constructed like this: filename2 filerev2 filepath2 when i do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alrinno
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Variable substitution

Hi, That might be pretty simple. How can I generate a variable name and get their value ? Thanks a lot. Something like: >CUSTOMER_NF=26 > object=CUSTOMER > echo ${object}_NF CUSTOMER_NF > echo ${${object}_NF} ksh: ${${object}_NF}: 0403-011 The specified substitution is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Leo_NN
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable substitution

file1.ksh #!/bin/ksh test5_create="I am a man" # test5 will be dynamic and the value will be passed from command line a=${1}_create echo $a # i need the output as "I am a man" ./file1.ksh test5 # i run the script like this any suggessions guys... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: giri_luck
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable Substitution

Hi , I have a variable as follows, Temp=`cat ABC.txt | cut -c5-` This will yeild a part of the date. say , 200912. I would like to substitute this variable's value in a filename. eg: File200912F.zip when i say File$TempF.zip , it is not substituting. Any help ? Thanks in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanpadamata
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use variable with command substitution in variable

For example I have variable like below echo $OUTPUT /some/path/`uname -n` when I try to use the variable OUTPUT like below cd $OUTPUT or cd ${OUTPUT} I am getting bad substituion error message $ cd $OUTPUT ksh: cd: bad substitution $ cd ${OUTPUT} ksh: cd: bad substitution ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajukv
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable substitution

Hi, I have to write a shell script in which I have to substitute a variable within a variable. For example, var1=aaa var2=file.$var1.txt The output should be, echo $var2 file.aaa.txt Can someone please help me in getting this. I tried using eval, but it didnt work. I might be using it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: grajp002
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

read variable substitution

Allright so a quick question. I'm building a script that will eventually do a full IP subnet scan. It starts off by first entering an IP address, (capturing host and net ID comes after that) and I want it to use the current IP address if no input is given. Is there a quick way to define the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BisMarc
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable substitution with arrays

Hi all, I have a script with the following gist: declare -a index=(0 1 2 3 4); declare -a animals=(dog cat horse penguin cow); declare -a fruits=(orange apple grapes peach mango); declare -a drinks=(juice milk coffee tea coke); declare -a cities=(toronto paris london glasgow... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kingzy
18 Replies
IPTABLES-SAVE(8)						  iptables 1.6.1						  IPTABLES-SAVE(8)

NAME
iptables-save -- dump iptables rules to stdout ip6tables-save -- dump iptables rules to stdout SYNOPSIS
iptables-save [-M modprobe] [-c] [-t table] ip6tables-save [-M modprobe] [-c] [-t table] DESCRIPTION
iptables-save and ip6tables-save are used to dump the contents of IP or IPv6 Table in easily parseable format to STDOUT. Use I/O-redirect- ion provided by your shell to write to a file. -M, --modprobe modprobe_program Specify the path to the modprobe program. By default, iptables-save will inspect /proc/sys/kernel/modprobe to determine the exe- cutable's path. -c, --counters include the current values of all packet and byte counters in the output -t, --table tablename restrict output to only one table. If not specified, output includes all available tables. BUGS
None known as of iptables-1.2.1 release AUTHORS
Harald Welte <laforge@gnumonks.org> Rusty Russell <rusty@rustcorp.com.au> Andras Kis-Szabo <kisza@sch.bme.hu> contributed ip6tables-save. SEE ALSO
iptables-apply(8),iptables-restore(8), iptables(8) The iptables-HOWTO, which details more iptables usage, the NAT-HOWTO, which details NAT, and the netfilter-hacking-HOWTO which details the internals. iptables 1.6.1 IPTABLES-SAVE(8)