Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting tell me how many specific characters there are? Post 102236 by kev269 on Thursday 16th of March 2006 11:27:00 AM
Old 03-16-2006
tell me how many specific characters there are?

i'm trying to get the user to enter a character, then the script should search for how many of that character exists in the file. I have the following code, but it doesn't work properly and it shows the wrong amount (i don't think im supposed to use grep). For example, I want it to say, "There are 7 'e' characters in the file", or "There are 5 'n' characters in the file" etc...

Thanks for your help.

echo
echo "Enter the Character to Search for:"
read char
grep -c $char text
echo
echo "Press any key to continue"
read key

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Terminal-specific characters in password

Good morning! I am using a shell script to back up user email files to a remote location. The problem is, one (and apparently more than one) users have the symbol "@" in their password. As you can see from the line: /sbin/mount_smbfs... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: PittWolfBW
5 Replies

2. AIX

Delete specific characters

Hi every1 Well i have a list of numbers e.g 12304 13450 01234 00123 14567 what i want is a command to check if the number is starting from 0 and then delete the 0 without doing anything else!!!! any help wud b appreciated!!!!!!!!:( (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: masquerer
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing specific characters in a string

Hi Friends, Following is an output of a script OPWQERIUTYKLSADFJHGXZNMCVBWQOPERIUTYKLSADFJHGXZNMCVB I want to replace above string's 11 to 17 character by ******* (7 stars) How can it be done? Please somebody guide me. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing all characters on and before specific point

Im having a file with records DB1635 |Y|N|DB1632 |000024968_202 |0|000024968302|RCF02| DB1636 |Y|N|DB1633 |000024968_203 |0|000024968302|RCF02| i want to get output as Y|DB1632 |RCF02| Y|DB1633 |RCF02| how can i do this ?? any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Trendz
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting values with specific characters

I have a file with 3 columns 2 4 5 2 4 7 3 5 7 4 -6 9 5 -9 4 6 -3 3 Bascially I want to delete the entire row if column 2 is a "-" So the end result will be 2 4 5 2 4 7 3 5 7 I have trouble doing this cause of the - in front of the number. thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kylle345
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generate specific amount of same characters

Hi, Is there a command to print one character x amont of times? I need for example 10 comma's (,,,,,,,,,,). Instead of creating a loop, I was wondering if there is a way to do this with sed or awk? Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Subbeh
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replacing specific characters and control characters by escaping

sed -e "s// /g" old.txt > new.txt While I do know some control characters need to be escaped, can normal characters also be escaped and still work the same way? Basically I do not know all control characters that have a special meaning, for example, ?, ., % have a meaning and have to be escaped... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ijustneeda
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't figure out how to find specific characters in specific columns

I am trying to find a specific set of characters in a long file. I only want to find the characters in column 265 for 4 bytes. Is there a search for that? I tried cut but couldn't get it to work. Ex. I want to find '9999' in column 265 for 4 bytes. If it is in there, I want it to print... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Drenhead
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count specific characters at specific column positions

Hi all, I need help. I have an input text file (input.txt) like this: 21 GTGCAACACCGTCTTGAGAGG 50 21 GACCGAGACAGAATGAAAATC 73 21 CGGGTCTGTAGTAGCAAACGC 108 21 CGAAAAATGAACCCCTTTATC 220 21 CGTGATCCTGTTGAAGGGTCG 259 Now I need to count A/T/G/C numbers at each character location in column... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thienxho
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing specific characters using sed

Hi, I have a text file which is output from a server and it lists all the files in a specific volume. However, the volume name appears as volume_name:. I would like to replace this with \\volume_name\volume_name. This is not a problem in itself as I can use sed to globally look for the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vnayak
8 Replies
line(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   line(1)

NAME
line - Reads one line from standard input SYNOPSIS
line STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: line: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
None DESCRIPTION
The line command copies one line, up to and including a newline, from standard input and writes it to standard output. Use this command within a shell command file to read from your terminal. The line command always writes at least a newline character. NOTES
The line utility has no internationalization features and is marked LEGACY in XCU Issue 5. Use the read utility instead. EXIT STATUS
Success. End-of-File. EXAMPLES
To read a line from the keyboard and append it to a file, enter: echo 'Enter comments for the log:' echo ': c' line >>log This shell procedure displays the message: Enter comments for the log: It then reads a line of text from the keyboard and adds it to the end of the file log. The echo ': c' command displays a : (colon) prompt. See the echo command for information about the c escape sequence. SEE ALSO
Commands: echo(1), ksh(1), read(1), Bourne shell sh(1b), POSIX shell sh(1p) Functions: read(2) Standards: standards(5) line(1)