Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers File encryption/Key encryption ???? Post 102224 by hugow on Thursday 16th of March 2006 10:12:21 AM
Old 03-16-2006
Data File encryption/Key encryption ????

My dilemma,

I need to send, deemed confidential, information via e-mail (SMTP). This information is sitting as a file on AIX. Typically I can send this data as a e-mail attachment via what we term a "mail filter" using telnet. I now would like to somehow encrypt the data and send it to a e-mail address external to the company via the internet to a recipient that is probably using Microsoft Outlook. Obviously I what him to somehow decrypt it to be able to use/view the attachment. I have looked at PKI, but the concept is not totally clear to me, as where is the public and private keys held, what key is exchanged and when, how is this done in the context of sending e-mail using SMTP via telnet (is the key an attachment) how does the recipient know this is a key encrypted file and what key to use, how does this relate to the key in his possession, does he need extra software (example). I was looking at tar, compress, gzip, pax and other standard UNIX commands to achieve a password protected file, but have had no luck thus far. Please can you shed some light on at leased some of my question.

Regards Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

How to use PGP File Encryption

Hi All, I am new to the concept of encryption and shell and i have been assigned to do pgp encryption of a file before ftping it. I am developing the script using MKS Toolkit on Windows XP and the script will run later on actual unix box. I am going through documents provided by pgp... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeepb
2 Replies

2. AIX

file encryption in aix

Hi All, I have a AIX 5.3. does anybody know how to encrypt a text file? Thanks, Vishal (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishalpatel03
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

VIM: Encryption key.

I'm having one doubt about the VIM ENCRYPTION key. I having a text file, I encrypted that file using :X vim -x filename Now, where the encrypted key is stored (path). Whether it stored in a separate file or the text file itself. If I open a the file it asked Encryption key. How it compare... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ungalnanban
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Folder / file encryption

Hi, does anybody know of any tool that would allow me to have all files store in a folder automatically encrypted? or some similar capability? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: malky
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove VI encryption key from file

Hi There, I have set encryption key to my file using :X command. Now that I no more need encryption key to the file, I just want to delete/remove the encryption key. I have gone through many source but in vain. None of the source provided me with the solution that I am looking for. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: grc
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

file encryption

Hello! I want to know about file encryption in redhat linux.... Please suggest me some gud websites from where i can get detailed information... Thanks in advance.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aliyaa
3 Replies

7. Linux

It is possible to find out when a particular encryption key was imported in linux

Hi All, In linux server some encryption keys were imported using gpg command. I want to know when those keys was imported. Is there any way to get when the encryption keys were imported? Thanks in advance.. :rolleyes: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: latika
1 Replies

8. Cybersecurity

File encryption tools with MAC address as an encryption key

Hi all, I'm looking for secure file encryption tools that use MAC address as encryption key. FYI, I'm using Red Hat Enterprise Linux OS. For example: when A wants to send file to B A will encrypt the file with B's computer MAC/IP address as an encryption key This file can only be decrypted... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sergionicosta
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Private and public key encryption

Hi, we have private and public key, encrypt file using public and want to decrypt using private key. can you please advise below commands are correct or other remedy if unix have? encrypt -a arcfour -k publickey.asc -i TESTFILE.csv -o TESTFILE00.csv decrypt -a arcfour -k privatekey.asc... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rizwan.shaukat
2 Replies
qmail-remote(8)                                               System Manager's Manual                                              qmail-remote(8)

NAME
qmail-remote - send mail via SMTP SYNOPSIS
qmail-remote host sender recip [ recip ... ] DESCRIPTION
qmail-remote reads a mail message from its input and sends the message to one or more recipients at a remote host. The remote host is qmail-remote's first argument, host. qmail-remote sends the message to host, or to a mail exchanger for host listed in the Domain Name System, via the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP). host can be either a fully-qualified domain name: silverton.berkeley.edu or an IP address enclosed in brackets: [128.32.183.163] The envelope recipient addresses are listed as recip arguments to qmail-remote. The envelope sender address is listed as sender. Note that qmail-remote does not take options and does not follow the getopt standard. TRANSPARENCY
End-of-file in SMTP is encoded as dot CR LF. A dot at the beginning of a line is encoded as dot dot. It is impossible in SMTP to send a message that does not end with a newline. qmail-remote converts the UNIX newline convention into the SMTP newline convention by inserting CR before each LF. It is a violation of the SMTP protocol to send a message that contains long lines or non-ASCII characters. However, qmail-remote will hap- pily send such messages. It is the user's responsibility to avoid generating illegal messages. RESULTS
qmail-remote prints some number of recipient reports, followed by a message report. Each report is terminated by a 0 byte. Each report begins with a single letter: r Recipient report: acceptance. h Recipient report: permanent rejection. s Recipient report: temporary rejection. K Message report: success. host has taken responsibility for delivering the message to each acceptable recipient. Z Message report: temporary failure. D Message report: permanent failure. After this letter comes a human-readable description of what happened. The recipient reports will always be printed in the same order as qmail-remote's recip arguments. Note that in failure cases there may be fewer recipient reports than recip arguments. qmail-remote always exits zero. CONTROL FILES
helohost Current host name, for use solely in saying hello to the remote SMTP server. Default: me, if that is supplied; otherwise qmail-remote refuses to run. smtproutes Artificial SMTP routes. Each route has the form domain:relay, without any extra spaces. If domain matches host, qmail-remote will connect to relay, as if host had relay as its only MX. (It will also avoid doing any CNAME lookups on recip.) host may include a colon and a port number to use instead of the normal SMTP port, 25: inside.af.mil:firewall.af.mil:26 relay may be empty; this tells qmail-remote to look up MX records as usual. smtproutes may include wildcards: .af.mil: :heaven.af.mil Here any address ending with .af.mil (but not af.mil itself) is routed by its MX records; any other address is artificially routed to heaven.af.mil. The qmail system does not protect you if you create an artificial mail loop between machines. However, you are always safe using smt- proutes if you do not accept mail from the network. timeoutconnect Number of seconds qmail-remote will wait for the remote SMTP server to accept a connection. Default: 60. The kernel normally imposes a 75-second upper limit. timeoutremote Number of seconds qmail-remote will wait for each response from the remote SMTP server. Default: 1200. SEE ALSO
addresses(5), envelopes(5), qmail-control(5), qmail-send(8), qmail-smtpd(8), qmail-tcpok(8), qmail-tcpto(8) qmail-remote(8)