Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bash tail monitor log file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash tail monitor log file Post 102186 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 16th of March 2006 07:12:54 AM
Old 03-16-2006
How are you doing this manually? The moving file names part....

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

tail -f a log file redirected into a new window?

Is this possible? I am attempting to display a new xterm window and tail -f the log file within that new window. I am currently working on a solaris 8 machine if that has any different meaning than the other platforms. As you can see, I am a newbie to this forum and to UNIX. Any help would be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: douknownam
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to tail a log file..

Hi All.. I have a log file in which all the backup information is stored. Now i have written a script which get the last line in the backup log file.. ssh -l ora${sid} ${primaryhost} "tail -1 /oracle/$ORACLE_SID/sapbackup/back$ORACLE_SID.log" However i would like to tail the line last... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: suri.tyson
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Piping tail to awk to parse a log file

Hello all, I've got what I'm pretty sure is a simple problem, but I just can't seem to work past it. I'm trying to use awk to pretty up a log file, and calculate a percentage. The log file looks like this: # tail strtovrUsage 20090531-18:15:45 RSreq - 24, RSsuc - 24, RSrun - 78, RSerr -... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I get my script to monitor a new file using tail?

Hi, I have a script which basically watches a log file for new lines using tail, then takes action based on what is logged. I wrote a script to do this for me and its working great, my only problem is that once per week, this log file is archived to another directory, and a new log is created.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lstorm2003
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Korn/bash Script to monitor a file a check for specific data

Hi, Im trying to write this script but im stuck on it, basicaly what i want to do is to write a code to verify a log file ( apache log file for example ) and for each new line with specific data , then, output this new line for another file: full ex: output of the server.log is (... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Thales.Claro
4 Replies

6. HP-UX

Script to monitor /var/opt/resmon/log/event.log file

AM in need of some plugin/script that can monitor HP-UX file "/var/opt/resmon/log/event.log" . Have written a scrip in sh shell that is working fine for syslog.log and mail.log as having standard format, have interrogated that to Nagios and is working as I required . But same script failed to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shirishlnx
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use “tail -f” to monitor and report, but the top line should be always fixed on the screen.

Title: Use “tail -f” to monitor and report, but the top line should be always fixed on the screen. Hi, dear Unix experts, I am trying to find a Unix command (or scripting) on how to continuously display a text file of its last several lines of contents. But during this displaying, I want some... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: df3c
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to tail -f logfile. if log file is generate every 1 HR.?

Hello, How to tail -f logfile. if log file is gennerate every 1 HR. I want it works automatically all the time. never changes it by manual. Thank ls -trl CybertonTransaction.* -rw-r--r-- 1 autobot robot 617071 Jul 9 00:02 CybertonTransaction.20130709-00.log -rw-r--r-- 1 autobot ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to process only new line of tail -f command from live log file?

Hi, I want to read a live log file line by line and considering those line which are newly added to file Below code I am using, which read line but as soon as it read new line from log file its starts processing from very first line of file. tail -F /logs/COMMON-ERROR.log | while read... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
11 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Alternative to tail -n -0 -F for monitoring live log file

Hello, I have been working on script which need to generate an alert based upon live logs. If string is found then an alert mail must triggered. tail -n -0 -F works fine to redirect the each latest line from live logs file to grep a pattern for matching but it seems to be not working on... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
7 Replies
DH_MOVEFILES(1) 						     Debhelper							   DH_MOVEFILES(1)

NAME
dh_movefiles - move files out of debian/tmp into subpackages SYNOPSIS
dh_movefiles [debhelperoptions] [--sourcedir=dir] [-Xitem] [file...] DESCRIPTION
dh_movefiles is a debhelper program that is responsible for moving files out of debian/tmp or some other directory and into other package build directories. This may be useful if your package has a Makefile that installs everything into debian/tmp, and you need to break that up into subpackages. Note: dh_install is a much better program, and you are recommended to use it instead of dh_movefiles. FILES
debian/package.files Lists the files to be moved into a package, separated by whitespace. The filenames listed should be relative to debian/tmp/. You can also list directory names, and the whole directory will be moved. OPTIONS
--sourcedir=dir Instead of moving files out of debian/tmp (the default), this option makes it move files out of some other directory. Since the entire contents of the sourcedir is moved, specifying something like --sourcedir=/ is very unsafe, so to prevent mistakes, the sourcedir must be a relative filename; it cannot begin with a `/'. -Xitem, --exclude=item Exclude files that contain item anywhere in their filename from being installed. file ... Lists files to move. The filenames listed should be relative to debian/tmp/. You can also list directory names, and the whole directory will be moved. It is an error to list files here unless you use -p, -i, or -a to tell dh_movefiles which subpackage to put them in. NOTES
Note that files are always moved out of debian/tmp by default (even if you have instructed debhelper to use a compatibility level higher than one, which does not otherwise use debian/tmp for anything at all). The idea behind this is that the package that is being built can be told to install into debian/tmp, and then files can be moved by dh_movefiles from that directory. Any files or directories that remain are ignored, and get deleted by dh_clean later. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_MOVEFILES(1)