Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Newlines in shell variables
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Newlines in shell variables Post 102116 by tmarikle on Wednesday 15th of March 2006 04:55:01 PM
Old 03-15-2006
By the way, your specific issue is that you do not have quotes around your variable:

Code:
echo "$list" # now see what happens...

This User Gave Thanks to tmarikle For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

variables in shell

hi, i'm new in shell scripting and i'm working on bash on solaris 5.9 after try many stuff with unexpected results, i wonder: it is not posible in bash, to use a variable that was created inside a loop, out of it? i mean, for instance: cat mytext | \ while read text do viko=$text... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: viko
2 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

Add CRs (newlines)

I have a long file originally created with vi but at some point saved with MS Word. At another time I substituted all occurrences of ^M with XXX. Now I'd like to get this back to vi but with the XXX converted to newline. I'm using whatever version of vim Apple employs. Thanks, Gale (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gale Gorman
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

$0 shell variables

Would appreciate if someone can explain the ${0##*/} line. What does it do? I am aware that $0 is the script name, $# is number of arguments passed in, $* is all the arguments. With the curly brackets {} added in, what's the eventual effect? Does ${0##*/} actually equals $0$#$*? (something like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ignoring newlines in my search

I have a file that has lines that are deliminated with '^A', but some of the lines go for a few lines and I need those lines to be appended into one line. All of the lines start with 'low debug' and end with ' " 0 '. How can I read each line from start to finish without some of the data... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ndedhia1
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract pattern before two newlines

Hi All, My file looks like this: 1 2 3 3 4 5 6 7 8 8 7 6 3 4 5 3 6 7 3 4 5 1 2 4 3 4 6 2 4 6 As you can see there are two newlines after the next pattern of numbers begin. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete newlines after every one space

Hi All, I have a file which looks like this: abc 3456 computer 3214 printer 0.9823 computer 3214 Can anyone please let me know how I can format my text like this? abc 3456 computer 3214 printer 0.9823 computer 3214 I know how to space to newlines using tr but don't know how to do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove newlines

Hi buddy's my file are like this: s.no,name,band,sal 1,"suneel",,10 2,"bargav sand",,20 30," ebdug gil",,4 but i want s.no,name,band,sal 1,"suneel",,10 2,"bargav sand",,20 30,"ebdug gil",,4 any command or Shell script for this. please help me it's urgent to implement (33 Replies)
Discussion started by: Suneelbabu.etl
33 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to write Config shell script to pass variables in master shell script?

Dear Unix gurus, We have a config shell script file which has 30 variables which needs to be passed to master unix shell script that invokes oracle database sessions. So those 30 variables need to go through the database sessions (They are inputs) via a shell script. one of the variable name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dba1981
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write config shell script to pass variables in master shell script?

Dear Unix gurus, We have a config shell script file which has 30 variables which needs to be passed to master unix shell script that invokes oracle database sessions. So those 30 variables need to go through the database sessions (They are inputs) via a shell script. one of the variable name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dba1981
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

File formatting with newlines

Hi All - I am in need of some help in formating the below file Requirement - 1) replace newlines with space 2) replace '#~# ' with newline ----------------------- sample inputfile a I|abc|abc|aaa#~# I|sddddd|tya|dfg sfd ssss#~# I|tya1|tya2|dfg|sfd|aaa#~#... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: J1nx007
5 Replies
PAM_ISSUE(8)							 Linux-PAM Manual						      PAM_ISSUE(8)

NAME
pam_issue - PAM module to add issue file to user prompt SYNOPSIS
pam_issue.so [noesc] [issue=issue-file-name] DESCRIPTION
pam_issue is a PAM module to prepend an issue file to the username prompt. It also by default parses escape codes in the issue file similar to some common getty's (using x format). Recognized escapes: d current day l name of this tty m machine architecture (uname -m) machine's network node hostname (uname -n) o domain name of this system release number of operating system (uname -r) current time s operating system name (uname -s) u number of users currently logged in U same as u except it is suffixed with "user" or "users" (eg. "1 user" or "10 users") v operating system version and build date (uname -v) OPTIONS
noesc Turns off escape code parsing. issue=issue-file-name The file to output if not using the default. MODULE TYPES PROVIDED
Only the auth module type is provided. RETURN VALUES
PAM_BUF_ERR Memory buffer error. PAM_IGNORE The prompt was already changed. PAM_SERVICE_ERR A service module error occurred. PAM_SUCCESS The new prompt was set successfully. EXAMPLES
Add the following line to /etc/pam.d/login to set the user specific issue at login: auth optional pam_issue.so issue=/etc/issue SEE ALSO
pam.conf(5), pam.d(5), pam(8) AUTHOR
pam_issue was written by Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org>. Linux-PAM Manual 09/19/2013 PAM_ISSUE(8)