Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to count no of occurences of a character in a string in UNIX Post 102045 by matrixmadhan on Wednesday 15th of March 2006 08:46:27 AM
Old 03-15-2006
Quote:
no_fields=`echo "a|b|c " |awk -F"|" '{print NF}' `
echo $no_fields
substract it directly then,
no subsequent step needed
Code:
echo "a|b|c " |awk -F"|" '{print NF-1}'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

count occurences of specific character in the file

For counting the occurences of specific character in the file I am issuing the command grep -o 'character' filename | wc -w It works in other shells but not in HP-UX as there is no option -o for grep. What do I do now? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: superprogrammer
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete last character in all occurences of string

Hello all, I have a file containing the following p1 q1 p2 q2 p1 p2 p3 pr1 pr2 pr1 pr2 pa1 pa2 I want to remove the last character from all strings that start with 'p' and end with '1'. In general, I do not know what is between the first part of the string and the last part of the string.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigfoot
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of occurences of a character in a field defined by the character in another field

Hello, I have a text file with n lines in the following format (9 column fields): Example: contig00012 149606 G C 49 68 60 18 c$cccccacccccccccc^c I need to count the number of lower-case and upper-case occurences in column 9, respectively, of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: s052866
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: sort lines by count of a character or string in a line

I want to sort lines by how many times a string occurs in each line (the most times first). I know how to do this in two passes (add a count field in the first pass then sort on it in the second pass). However, can it be done more optimally with a single AWK command? My AWK has improved... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count occurences of string

Hi, Please help me in finding the number of occurences of the string. Example: Apple, green, blue, Apple, Orange, green, blue are the strings can be even in the next line. The o/p should look as: Word Count ----- ----- Apple 2 green 2 Orange 1 blue 2 Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: acc888
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count occurences of a numeric string falling in a range

Dear all, I have numerous dat files (1.dat, 2.dat...) containing 500 numeric values each. I would like to count them, based on their range and obtain a histogram or a counter. INPUT: 1.dat 1.3 2.16 0.34 ...... 2.dat 1.54 0.94 3.13 ..... ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chen.xiao.po
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

couting occurences of a character inside a string and assigning it to a variable

echo "hello123" | tr -dc '' | wc -c using this command i can count the no of times a number from 0-9 occurs in the string "hello123" but how do i save this result inside a variable? if i do x= echo "hello123" | tr -dc '' | wc -c that does not work...plz suggest..thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindamlive
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awking string only 6 character long and providing a count

Morning Guys, I am attempting to awk a file which strings in the file is only 6 characters long and not more. Currently it is counting every line and giving a count of 59, but it should be 57 (not including the long baracode - 004705CIM*****) " awk '/./ {cnt++} END {print cnt}'... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junes
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Character count in UNIX!

Hi, I am Beginner in writing shell scripting. I have tried to get the character count using wc command. But it is not giving the correct result. Could any one please tell me the reason? $ cat k.ksh Shell scripting The character count should be 15 but it is displaying as 16 when i use... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikesh29
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count occurences of a character in a file by sorting results

Hello, I try to sort results of occurences in an array by using awk but I can't find the right command. that's why I'm asking your help ! :) Please see below the command that I run: awk '{ for ( i=1; i<=length; i++ ) arr++ }END{ for ( i in arr ) { print i, arr } }' dictionnary.txt ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: destin45
3 Replies
queue(n)							Tcl Data Structures							  queue(n)

NAME
queue - Create and manipulate queue objects SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.2 package require struct ?1.2.1? queueName option ?arg arg ...? queueName clear queueName destroy queueName get ?count? queueName peek ?count? queueName put item ?item ...? queueName size DESCRIPTION
The ::struct::queue command creates a new queue object with an associated global Tcl command whose name is queueName. This command may be used to invoke various operations on the queue. It has the following general form: queueName option ?arg arg ...? Option and the args determine the exact behavior of the command. The following commands are possible for queue objects: queueName clear Remove all items from the queue. queueName destroy Destroy the queue, including its storage space and associated command. queueName get ?count? Return the front count items of the queue and remove them from the queue. If count is not specified, it defaults to 1. If count is 1, the result is a simple string; otherwise, it is a list. If specified, count must be greater than or equal to 1. If there are no items in the queue, this command will return count empty strings. queueName peek ?count? Return the front count items of the queue, without removing them from the queue. If count is not specified, it defaults to 1. If count is 1, the result is a simple string; otherwise, it is a list. If specified, count must be greater than or equal to 1. If there are no items in the queue, this command will return count empty strings. queueName put item ?item ...? Put the item or items specified into the queue. If more than one item is given, they will be added in the order they are listed. queueName size Return the number of items in the queue. KEYWORDS
stack, matrix, tree, graph struct 1.2.1 queue(n)