Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: add a hdiskpower in a vg
Operating Systems AIX add a hdiskpower in a vg Post 102043 by bakunin on Wednesday 15th of March 2006 08:34:01 AM
Old 03-15-2006
The LVM imposes several limits, all of which have to be considered. On a PV level the most important ones are:

not more than 1016 PPs per PV
not more than 32 PVs per VG

You can change that behaviour by converting a VG to "big", which means halving (quartering, ...) the number of possible PVs per VG whilst increasing the number of PPs per PV accordingly. This usually doesn't make sense for a VG factor beyond 2.

Better in this case is to back up and recreate the VG with more sensible values. It makes sense in most cases to set the PP size to 128MB or even 256 MB, which allows for single PVs as big as 130 (260) GB. It may be more effort *once* to do this but in the long run it pays off not to have to twiddle with the different factors in the VG - too many restraints to be obeyed in the long run.

bakunin

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

deletion of hdiskpower* and child devices

Hi, I need to know is there any option in rmdev command that deletes only hdiskpower and its child devices..suppose i have 4*hba's i could see 4*hdisks and 1*hdiskpower. i want to delete only the hdiskpower and its associted 4*hdisks..how can i do that.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: to_bsr
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add add some files together and then paste

How can you efficiently add pairs of files together and then paste those pairs, I have a climate computer at work which spits out temperatures and stuff out twice a day, one for the day-data and one for the night (basically). Every week I want to make a nice overview The text files are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: uwgandalf
1 Replies
devinfo(1M)						  System Administration Commands					       devinfo(1M)

NAME
devinfo - print device specific information SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/devinfo -i device /usr/sbin/devinfo -p device DESCRIPTION
The devinfo command is used to print device specific information about disk devices on standard out. The command can only be used by the superuser. OPTIONS
-i Prints the following device information: o Device name o Software version (not supported and prints as 0) o Drive id number (not supported and prints as 0) o Device blocks per cylinder o Device bytes per block o Number of device partitions with a block size greater than zero -p Prints the following device partition information: o Device name o Device major and minor numbers (in hexadecimal) o Partition start block o Number of blocks allocated to the partition o Partition flag o Partition tag This command is used by various other commands to obtain device specific information for the making of file systems and determining parti- tion information. If the device cannot be opened, an error message is reported. OPERANDS
device Device name. EXIT STATUS
0 Successful operation. 2 Operation failed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
prtvtoc(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 8 May 1997 devinfo(1M)