Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Excessive Page INs
Operating Systems AIX Excessive Page INs Post 101959 by bakunin on Tuesday 14th of March 2006 02:34:36 PM
Old 03-14-2006
Negm, be aware that there is a fundamental difference between AIX versions prior to 4.3.3 ML10 (aka "AIX 4.4") and after this version. Before 4.3.3 ML10 AIX had an "early swap allocation strategy", that means that as a program got started the page necessary to swap it out was allocated even if it was held in memory. That meant that usage rates of 60% or more weren't that troublesome at all because "swapspace used" was meaning "swapspace marked in use for eventually swapping out something now in memory". Only vmtstat could tell you the real state of the machine.

With AIX 4.3.3 ML10 that changed to a "late swap allocation strategy", like the othere major UNIX vendors employed. Swapspace is now allocated only as it is (really) needed, meaning, when processes are being swapped out of memory.

In short: without knowing which AIX version you are talking of it is simply impossible to find out what is going on on your machine.

bakunin

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ins mod error on eth0

hello, I am getting an insmod error on my pcmcia lan card. upon boot, it gives me the insmod error and says that it might be an irq setting or an io setting. because of this error, the eth0 interface is obviously not working. how do i check for irq conflicts or troubleshoot this. thank you. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alam
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Excessive Paging&Swapping!

Hi all! Working on Oracle v8i/9i on Unix Sun Solaris v8.0. I am experiencing excessive paging & Swapping.Would like to know the cause. I guess:could be due to inappropriate setting of Unix Kernel Parameters... Please correct me if I am wrong! Thanks&Regards, Amit. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amitstora
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

excessive IOWAIT

i have a server constantly have high iowait, but i am not able to tell which process generate the most of io. none commands, such as iostat, sar, top will give me this kind of information. hope there is some command can help me to spot the process generate the most of io let to know input... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: giantpanda77
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running Built-ins in current shell

Hi, Can any one please describe why I am not able to run any built-in commands in current shell? Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
5 Replies

5. AIX

Excessive interrupt disablement time

Has anyone seen this error before? On the IBM website they suggest updating to AIX 6.1.0.0 TL2, but we are already at that level. Any help or suggestions are appreciated! Thanks! />errpt -a --------------------------------------------------------------------------- LABEL: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: troym72
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Sol10 + OpenLDAP = excessive logging & full file system??!!

Hello all, new to this forum (member of many others). Hopefully I can find help here. SERVER: Brand new server Oracle Enterprise SPARC T4-1 Loaded Solaris SPARC 10 u10, patched to 147440-27 Loaded OpenLDAP v2.4.30 Loaded Berkley DB 4.7.25.NC Loaded OpenSSL 1.0.1c Note: All packages are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wraith_G2IC
2 Replies

7. AIX

Excessive Kernel CPU Usage

Good Morning All, I've been a long time lurker but this if my first time posting. About 6 months ago I started a new job with an AIX box. I had administered many Debian and Red Hat variant systems before, but this was my first AIX. It is an old box (Power4) that runs our ERP. It had been... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jacoby0419
2 Replies

8. HP-UX

FDX303??? SSL Excessive Message Size???

I'm hoping someone has seen this before because I'm trying to use an old custom program to automate uploading bank files. The odd thing is the program works with JP Chase old sFTP site but not on this new one? I appreciate any and all assistance I have about a month to figure this out... ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prophyt
3 Replies
swapon(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 swapon(8)

NAME
swapon - Specifies additional disk partitions for paging and swapping SYNOPSIS
/sbin/swapon [-asv] [-s special-device] [-v special-device] DESCRIPTION
The swapon command is used to specify additional disk partitions for paging and swapping. A paging partition is a block special device. ( Tru64 UNIX does not currently support paging and swapping to a regular file. All paging and swapping areas must be block special devices.) The swapon command uses a priority default of 4 for block special devices. Calls to swapon normally occur in the system multiuser state initialization. When you make more swap space available with the command, the additional swap space is available until the system is rebooted. To make additional swap space permanent, you must specify the swap device entry in the /etc/sysconfigtab file. The swapon command flags can override the partition specifications in the /etc/sysconfigtab file. You can use Logical Storage Manager (LSM) volumes for additional swap space. For high system availability, you can mirror the LSM volumes. The Logical Storage Manager manual describes how to use the command to configure an LSM mirrored volume as additional swap space. There are two strategies for swap space allocation: immediate mode and deferred or over-commitment mode. The two strategies differ in the point in time at which swap space is allocated. If immediate mode is used, swap space is allocated when modifiable virtual address space is created. If deferred mode is used, swap space is not allocated until the system needs to write a modified virtual page to swap space. Immediate mode is the default swap space allocation strategy. Immediate mode is more conservative than deferred mode because each modifiable virtual page is assigned a page of swap space when it is created. If you use the immediate mode of swap space allocation, you must allocate a swap space that is at least as large as the total amount of modifiable virtual address space that will be created on your system. Immediate mode requires significantly more swap space than deferred mode because it guarantees that there will be enough swap space if every modifiable virtual page is modified. If you use the deferred mode of swap space allocation, you must estimate the total amount of virtual address space that will be both cre- ated and modified, and compare that total amount with the size of your system's physical memory. If this total amount is greater than the size of physical memory, the swap space must be large enough to hold the modified virtual pages that do not fit into your physical memory. If your system's workload is complex and you are unable to estimate the appropriate amount of swap space by using this mode, you should first use the default amount of swap space and adjust the swap space as needed. To determine which swap space allocation mode is being used, check the setting of the vm-swap-eager parameter in /etc/sysconfigtab. If it is either not specified or set to 1, the system uses immediate swap mode. If it is set to 0 (zero), the system uses deferred mode. FLAGS
Installs all paging partitions specified in the /etc/sysconfigtab file. Displays swap space utilization. For each swap partition, this flag displays the total amount of allocated swap space, the amount of swap space that is being used, and the amount of free swap space. Generates verbose output. NOTES
There is no way to stop paging and swapping on a partition. It is therefore not possible to use swap devices that can be dismounted during system operation. Swap space is also used during a system crash dump. In planning your swap space allocation you should also consider your crash dump requirements. See the System Administration for information on crash dumps. EXAMPLES
The following example shows a swap device entry in an /etc/sysconfigtab file: vm: swapdevice=/dev/disk/dsk0b,/dev/disk/dsk1b The following command adds the /dev/disk/dsk0b block device file as swap space: swapon /dev/disk/dsk0b ERRORS
You may receive the following messages when using the swapon command: special-device or an overlapping partition is open. Quitting... This message indicates that you tried to add a partition as a swap device that is actively in use by UFS, AdvFS, swap, or LSM. spe- cial-device is marked in use for fstype in the disklabel. If you continue with the operation you can possibly destroy existing data. CONTINUE? [y/n] This message indicates that you tried to use a partition as a swap device that is not currently in active use but is marked for use in the disk label's partition map. For example, the partition may be part of an LSM volume or an AdvFS domain. If you know that the partition you specified to swapon does not contain any data, you can choose to override the warning. In this case, the fstype in the disk label will be modified to swap. Note that you can use the disklabel -s command to set the fstype in the disk label to unused for partitions that do not contain any valid data. See disklabel(8) for more information. Partition(s) which overlap special-device are marked in use. If you continue with the operation you can possibly destroy existing data. CONTINUE? [y/n] This message indicates that the partition you specified is not marked for use, but other, overlapping partitions on the disk are marked for use. If you override this warning, the fstype in the disk's label will be modified. The partition you specified to swapon will be marked as in use as a swap device and all overlapping partitions will be marked UNUSED. The following examples illustrate these messages: Adding a partition that is marked for use as a swap device: # /usr/sbin/swapon /dev/disk/dsk11g /dev/disk/dsk11g disk is marked in use for LSMpubl in the disklabel. If you continue with the operation you can possibly destroy existing data. CONTINUE? [y/n] Partition g of disk dsk11 is part of a disk marked for use by LSM. If LSM is not actively using this partition and the partition does not contain any data, you may want to override this warning, by answering y. In this case, partition g will be marked as swap in the disk label. Adding a partition as a swap device whose overlapping partitions are marked for use: # /usr/sbin/swapon /dev/disk/dsk11c Partition(s) which overlap /dev/disk/dsk11c are marked in use. If you continue with the operation you can possibly destroy existing data. CONTINUE? [y/n] If you answer yes, partition c on disk dsk11 will be marked swap in the disk label and all partitions that overlap c will be marked UNUSED. Adding a partition that is currently in use as a swap device: # /usr/sbin/swapon /dev/disk/dsk11g /dev/disk/dsk11g or an overlapping partition is open. Quitting... Adding a partition that does not have a disk label as a swap device: # /usr/sbin/swapon /dev/disk/dsk11c The disklabel for /dev/disk/dsk11c does not exist or is corrupted. Quitting... See disklabel(8) for information on installing a disk label on a disk. FILES
Specifies the command path. Specifies information about file systems and swap devices. RELATED INFORMATION
Functions: swapon(2), savecore(8) System Administration delim off swapon(8)