Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: shadow file
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users shadow file Post 101875 by narik007 on Tuesday 14th of March 2006 02:22:40 AM
Old 03-14-2006
MySQL Thanks RTM

Your help is much appreciated. Could you tell me in which file will you find the settings showing account lockout after XXX invalid attempts.

Also, were do you find password compexity being enabled?

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shadow file

Sirs, What is a shadow file,How it be usefull.For my project i have to keep the password in shawdow file also i am doing in php how can i do it. Thanks in advance, ArunKumar (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
3 Replies

2. Programming

Doubt on shadow file

Hi guys, I have a doubt on shadow file ... In the Unix servers in which I am working, I cud see that the shadow file has only one permission set .. tht is read permission for only root user ... (-r--------) .... So my basic doubt here is that how this file is being written then ... only... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sabari Nath S
4 Replies

3. Solaris

*LK* in /etc/shadow file

my etc/shadow file showing *LK* for a particular user.. can u tell me under which circumstances a user is locked (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikashtulsiyan
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

/etc/shadow file....

Does anyone know what "!!" represents in the password field of the /etc/shadow file? :confused: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: avcert1998
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shadow File

I see conflicting definitions for the shadow file. For Solaris, what are the fields please? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DavidS
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

appending LK to the shadow file

Hey guys.. i need to be able to append 'LK' to a password field in the shadow file I cannot use commands such as usermod chsh i need to directly be able to manupilate the files through a menu driven interface. So in other words write to the shadow file How could i do this? so far... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: musicmancanora
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How Do I Regenerate the Shadow file

I guess the earlier problem I had with changing user passwords and creating new users is related to the shadow file. Anytime I change something to /etc/passwd or shadow I get locked out. HOW DO I REGENERATE THIS FILE. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Waitstejo
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shadow file

Hi, In shadow file smithj:Ep6mckrOLChF.:10063:0:99999:7::: 3rd Field 10063 indicates the number of days (since January 1, 1970) since the password was last changed. I want to get the result with script the date on which the password was last changed in YYYY-MM-DD format. can... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
8 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris :regarding /etc/shadow file

what does the last column in /etc/shadow file indicate?? i read man page,it tells its FLAG..but i am not able to understand exactly why its there :confused: thanks in advance, shekhar (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar_4_u
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shadow file help

As a part of linux hardening In shadow file all Application accounts which are not locked must contain only an asterisk “*” in the Passwd field. But how would i do it by using command? Is there any way other than modifying shadow file to accomplish this task? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
3 Replies
passlen(3)						     Library Functions Manual							passlen(3)

NAME
passlen - Determines minimum password length (Enhanced Security) LIBRARY
Security Library - libsecurity.so SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/security.h> #include <prot.h> int passlen( time_t life_dur, time_t login_delay, int alphabet_size); PARAMETERS
Specifies the password lifetime duration for an account (in seconds). Specifies the amount of time (in seconds) between login attempts. Specifies the number of distinct characters that can be used in a password. DESCRIPTION
The passlen() function takes the password lifetime duration life_dur for an account and the login_delay between login attempts, both values in seconds, and the alphabet_size of distinct characters, and returns the minimum password length according to the algorithm in the DoD Password Management Guideline (the Green Book). The parameter that specifies the probability of guessing a password is fixed to the value of 1 chance in a million. NOTES
If the life_dur or prob_guess parameters change in the protected password database for this account (or for the system default if those values are used in an account), it is a good idea to invalidate the password in case the new parameters require a longer minimum password length. Programs using this function must be compiled with -lsecurity. delim off RELATED INFORMATION
Functions: randomword(3), exp(3), floor(3). Commands: passwd(1). delim off passlen(3)