Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bus Error
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Bus Error Post 10183 by LivinFree on Friday 9th of November 2001 05:39:30 AM
Old 11-09-2001
Bus Error

This may belong in the C Programming forum, but here goes anyway...

What would cause a bus error? I searched google for a cause, but came up with some conflicting reports...
Could it be caused by [lack of] disk space?
A lot of the pages I found mentioned linking with the incorrect versions of the library. But in that case, would it compile correctly?

Basically, I am curious as to why we had a job dump core on a bus error. It ran nearly to normal completion time, then simply poo-pood.

In the case that it may make a difference, it's a job that interfaces with an Oracle database on HP-UX 11. The things that had changed were that the process was recompiled, AND we were at 96% (df -k) on that disk...

Not too important for me to know right now, but I am curious, and who wants to wait for developers to tell me what happened? Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bus error on solaris

Hi there I am running soalris 9 on a sun fire 480r and all of a sudden (today) whenever the users run the command `top` we get the following message `bus error` does anybody have any information on what this is all about and whether there is a routine i can perform to gather more... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bus error(coredump

aix 5.3 ML1 system was functioing well, when suddenly telnet session hung and then I got the following message "Bus error(coredump)" would appreciate if anyone would assist as to what to do next. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Student37
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Bus Error(coredump)

Hi, I am using HP-UX. While i try to run the Sqlplus command using the shel script in encounter the following error: <shell script name>: some number Bus Error(coredump) What may be the reason behind this. I read few previous threads in this forum where i found some similar case. There it was... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jayesh
2 Replies

4. Programming

BUS error

Hi! I've got a program which runs fine under Linux, but I have compiled it to run under SunOS 5.8 in a Sparc computer, and now it sometimes fails with "bus error". Ussing gdb I surfed to the error line, which is *pointer = some_vector; where some_vector is a 16 byte struct (4 integers)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shesatmine
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bus error (coredump)

Hi all, I am getting bus error problem in SunOS. Can you please help me out in this regard. Actually, my entire code till the last line has been executed. But after tht i am getting a bus error. Please help me. Thanks in advance. Charu. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: charu
4 Replies

6. HP-UX

Need help on Bus error(coredump)

Hi all, I am quite weak in C but I need to get some work done. Hope someone can help me out. I keep getting this error when i try to run my C application in my HP-UX 10.20 machine. Some code snippet: Month(DBTime) =====This is a function which will return variable "CutOffTime" to be use... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vision©
5 Replies

7. HP-UX

Bus Error

I am getting bus error when i include "#!/bin/ksh". If i remove interpreter then script is working. Can anyone explain this and how can i avoid this error? Operating System is HP-UX B.11.23 U 9000/800 1091834454 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anbu23
2 Replies

8. Programming

Bus error

Hi everyone, I have a GUI project and when I run it and left in idle state for a long time(there is nothing done, just opened GUI, no more actions),I get bus error after trying to do anything with it. I've tried to build it in debug mode and use gdb, but I don't get any error in debug mode.It... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sisi
3 Replies

9. Programming

Bus error in tree insertion

Hi, I am new to C++ and unix. I am trying to write a programm for inserting elements into a binary tree. To get the code flow I used few Couts and m facing buss error while insertion. Below is the code snippet. explainations needed. thanks :) #include <iostream.h> struct mytree { int... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vineetjoshi
1 Replies

10. Programming

Bus Error: 10...Help please!

Hi all, I am writing a phonebook program to store names and number using a list. Here is the code for the function which allows the user to enter the name and number (where the error occurs). //THIS FUNCTION ADDS A NEW ENTRY TO THE phonebook_list void insert(void){ //variables int... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kdejan
5 Replies
atapi_ide(7)						 Miscellaneous Information Manual					      atapi_ide(7)

NAME
atapi_ide - Interface for ATAPI or IDE (PC) devices SYNOPSIS
PCI bus CMD/Acer ATAPI/IDE adapter: bus pci0 at * bus ata0 at * controller scsi0 at ata0 slot 0 controller scsi1 at ata0 slot 1 PCI bus Cypress ATAPI/IDE adapter: bus pci0 at * bus ata0 at * bus ata1 at * controller scsi0 at ata0 slot 0 controller scsi1 at ata1 slot 0 PCMCIA bus ATA/IDE disk card: bus pcmcia0 at * bus ata0 at pcmcia? controller scsi0 at ata0 DESCRIPTION
Devices commonly known for their use on PC devices as ATA or IDE devices are supported using the SCSI CAM device driver. The ATA standard has also been expanded to include what are known as ATAPI devices. The SCSI CAM device driver is also used for those disks and CD-ROM devices. These devices may also be known under the names EIDE, ATA-2, Fast-ATA, or Ultra-ATA. Beacuse the ATA/IDE standard was not developed until after many of the devices that used this standard were produced, there are many devices which do not strictly comply with the standard. While it is possible some industry standard devices may appear to work, it is also possible they will cause hang or data corruption cases when used under more stressful situations. For this reason, it is recommended that only the supported devices be used. These devices have been tested and are certified for correct operation. ATAPI/IDE controllers allow the connection of two devices. These two devices are known as the master device and the slave device. If only one device is connected, that device must be the master (slave-only configurations are not supported). When used by the SCSI CAM device driver, the IDE master device is assigned SCSI id 0 for that controller. The slave device is assigned SCSI id 1 for that controller. No other SCSI ids are assigned on that controller. Most ATAPI/IDE adapters contain two channels (known as the primary and secondary). Each of these channels may contain their own master and slave devices. Therefore, a dual channel ATAPI/IDE controller may contain up to 4 devices (a master and slave pair on each channel). These 4 devices are then accessed as SCSI id 0 and 1 on each channel. Many SCSI operations translate perfectly for use on IDE. For example, read and write operations are the same. However, many SCSI disk mode pages are emulated by the IDE device driver. For example, you can display the SCSI inquiry mode pages using the following command: % scu show inq pages pages are created by the device driver to contain the long (full IDE) form of the device name, serial number, revision, and the operational modes of the device. Only a shortened version of this information is available with the standard SCSI inquiry command. Note also that the following command: % scu show pages Shows that the SCSI mode pages contain only partial information. Only that informa- tion (such as geometry) that the drive reports to the system is able to be reformatted into these emulated SCSI mode pages. Much of the information (such as RPM) is simply not available from the drive, and therefore not accurately reported. ATAPI devices are much more closely related to SCSI devices, and as such contain their own mode pages. Therefore, for these devices, the mode page values reported are those from the device, and no emulation is involved. ATAPI tape devices are not supported at this time. FILES
/dev/disk/dsk??? /dev/disk/dsk??? RELATED INFORMATION
SCSI(7), rz(7), and disklabel(8) delim off atapi_ide(7)