Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Add SWAP to free slice
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Add SWAP to free slice Post 101614 by here2learn on Friday 10th of March 2006 08:52:43 AM
Old 03-10-2006
Thanks RTM. Your directions worked perfectly and I didn't loose any data.

Appreciate the info on /var/adm/messages Botato; I'll have to remember that.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

run fsck on swap slice?

Hi.. i am using sun solaris...and this is the filesystem information... you can see th slice(swap) c0t0d0s1 is giving some absord information......and during rebooting it is asking to run fsck mnually..when i run fsck manually it is giving error incorrect starting and end header...smthing like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Prafulla
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I find out how much swap and memory is free?

In Solaris 2.6 and 8 How do I find out how much swap and memory is free? Also how can I see how much memory each process is consuming? Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: expos
2 Replies

3. Solaris

mirroring the boot slice (slice 8) on x86

Hi there I am about to mirror a Solaris 10 x86 box (SunFire X4100) onto a secondary disk using svm (current system is one disk). My question is this, on X86 boxes there is a slice 8 defined as boot partition (and also a slice 9, dunno what its used for tho). Do I need to mirror this boot slice... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
0 Replies

4. Solaris

How to create metadb when there is no free slice

Hi All, I have to do disk mirroring, for that I have to create a metadb as disk mirroring have to do with SVM. However I do not have any slice free for metadb. What are the options? Please suggest (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
4 Replies

5. Solaris

df –k shows 100% used for a slice even after min free has been decreased from 10% to

Hi Gurus, For a particular slice I have change the minfree from 10% to 1% with tunefs -m and its allowing the creation of file on that slice, however when I am seeing the same with df -k it says that the slice is 100% full. What could be reason for this? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
2 Replies

6. Solaris

clear swap slice

is there a command that would zero swap slice? I found these instructions: but hoping there is some swap-specific command (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: orange47
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Query] Confusion of the Swap when using 'free -m' command

Hi All, I have just installed my first Linux server ( Ubuntu 11.10 ). I am sure I didn't allocate /swap , and double check by 'df -h', yes really no /swap but when I use 'free -m' , returned a "Swap" line as below. total used free shared buffers cached Mem: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joaming
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Swap usage by top and free command doesn't match

Its rather confusing, the output of top command is below: The "swap" field of top is described by the manpage as: "The swapped out portion of a task's total virtual memory image." But the output of free command suggests something else and it does tally with the output of swapon... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Possible to increase swap size for existing UFS-based drive slice?

I like to increase swap size for my current server running solaris 10. Seems like the system is not using it's full 16G of physical memory. #swap -l swapfile dev swaplo blocks free /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s1 32,1 16 1058288 1058288 # swap -s total: 4125120k bytes... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: JT-KGY
17 Replies

10. Solaris

Swap completely used with memory free

I have a Solaris 10 VM that processes are seg faulting on (no space) and swap goes from 64GB to 151MB which triggers the seg fault. The free memory is 25GB when this occurs. I have adjusted the project to use all available ram. My question is why is swap being filled with 25GB remaining? the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: thefroggy
10 Replies
swapmem_on(5)							     OBSOLETE							     swapmem_on(5)

NAME
swapmem_on - OBSOLETE kernel tunable parameter DESCRIPTION
The tunable is obsolete. Processes will always be allowed to use pseudo-swap space if it is available. In previous versions of HP-UX, system configuration required sufficient physical swap space for the maximum possible number of processes on the system. This is because HP-UX reserves swap space for a process when it is created, to ensure that a running process never needs to be killed due to insufficient swap. This was difficult, however, for systems needing gigabytes of swap space with gigabytes of physical memory, and those with workloads where the entire load would always be in core. This tunable was created to allow system swap space to be less than core memory. To accomplish this, a portion of physical memory is set aside as "pseudo-swap" space. While actual swap space is still available, processes still reserve all the swap they will need at fork or execute time from the physical device or file system swap. Once this swap is completely used, new processes do not reserve swap, and each page which would have been swapped to the physical device or file system is instead locked in memory and counted as part of the pseudo-swap space. WARNINGS
Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by HP. Tunable Kernel Parameters swapmem_on(5)