Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Repetitive Tasks: using if..then inside a loop Post 101566 by garak on Thursday 9th of March 2006 05:24:41 PM
Old 03-09-2006
Repetitive Tasks: using if..then inside a loop

I thought I was getting pretty good with Bash but this problem is stumping me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've written a firewall script that uses a lot of functions. The variables are read into the script from another .conf file earlier on in the code. Most of these variables are either set as "ON", "OFF", or as an IP address. To date, I've written out a conditional statement for each service. Here is an example of two of them:

if [ $FTP = "ON" ]; then
FTP_WAN
else
if [ "$FTP" != "OFF" ]; then
FTP_PORT_FORWARDING
fi
fi

if [ $SSH = "ON" ]; then
SSH_WAN
else
if [ "$SSH" != "OFF" ]; then
SSH_PORT_FORWARDING
fi
fi

I'd like to figure out a way to make one conditional statement inside a loop where the $SSH or $FTP variables are replaced for each variable corresponding to a service.

I'd thought something like:

$SERVICES=SSH,FTP

for VAR in $SERVICES; do

if [ $VAR = "ON" ]; then
$VAR_WAN
else
if [ "$VAR" != "OFF" ]; then
$VAR_PORT_FORWARDING
fi
fi

done

But no variation I've tried seems to work. I want it to
input the variable, like SSH, and then read the value
of SSH inside the conditional statement. Am I missing
some brackets somewhere or anything else?

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Repetitive Tasks

Could someone tell me how I can simplify the script that follows!!! I know that there must be a way how to grep Average from sar01.................. sar02 ....................... sar03....................... sar04... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JairGuerra
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable inside variable inside loop headache

Hi Gurus I have a file called /tmp/CMDB which looks like this serial: 0623AN1208 hostname: server1 model: x4100 assetID: 1234 I am writing a for loop that will go through this file line by line creating a variable of itself. Using the first iteration of the loop (i.e. the first line) as... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using variables created sequentially in a loop while still inside of the loop [bash]

I'm trying to understand if it's possible to create a set of variables that are numbered based on another variable (using eval) in a loop, and then call on it before the loop ends. As an example I've written a script called question (The fist command is to show what is the contents of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using 'su' inside a loop

Hi, I am using su within a for loop. As you might expect, it prompts for password during each loop execution. Here is my piece of code: for i in $LIST do if then DATABASE=`echo $i | awk -F "|" '{ print $1 }'` USER_ID=`echo $i | awk -F "|" '{ print $2 }'` su - apstage -c... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sugan
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH loop inside a loop question

Hi all Sorry for the basic question, but i am writing a shell script to get around a slightly flaky binary that ships with one of our servers. This particular utility randomly generates the correct information and could work first time or may work on the 12th or 100th attempt etc !.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Background tasks in a loop (bash)

I am trying to use a loop to start tasks 0-3, running 0,1,2 in the background with &. FOLDSET=( 0 1 2 3 ) for FOLDSET in ${FOLDSET} do if ; then BACKGRD="&" else BACKGRD="" fi # start task $FOLDSET task1 -nogui -ni -p $PROJ \ epochs=$EPOS ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doing multiple tasks in a loop.

I am in the process of updating a folder of hundreds of recipe html files. I've already managed to modify a number of things in each file but I have run into something that's beyond my ability. I have a text file that I need to insert the contents into the html at a specific point. It creates... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Trapper
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

If inside If loop

Hi All, Below is the very simple code snippet but it si giving me syntax error #!/bin/bash #To ensure If JMS directory exists or not ServerName=$(hostname) #To ensure If JMS directory exists or not echo $ServerName if ; then echo "Inside First If" if ; then echo 'JMS... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharsour
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Write a while loop inside for loop?

I'm taking a unix class and need to countdown to 0 from whatever number the user inputs. I know how to do this with a while or until loop but using the for loop is throwing me off.... I know I can use an if-then statement in my for loop but can I include a while loop in my for loop? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xxhieixx
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Improving repetitive tasks in function

stop_service () { sudo systemctl is-active --quiet video.service && sudo systemctl stop video.service && sudo rm /etc/systemd/system/video.service && echo stop video sudo systemctl is-active --quiet audio.service && sudo systemctl stop audio.service && sudo rm /etc/systemd/system/audio.service... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aristosv
4 Replies
NETSCRIPT-2.2.conf(5)						File Formats Manual					     NETSCRIPT-2.2.conf(5)

NAME
/etc/netscript/network.conf - interface, firewalling, and QoS configuration file. /etc/netscript/if.conf - interface setup shell script file /etc/netscript/qos.conf - QoS setup shell script file /etc/netscript/ipfilter.conf - IP chains filtering shell script file /etc/netscript/srvfilter.conf - server IP filter shell script file DESCRIPTION
This manpage is a place holder until something better is written when the netscript itself has stopped changing rapidly. Please see the README file in the /etc/netscript directory, and READ the configuration files if you need to change them. Apart from net- work.conf, all of them contain sh (1) shell script functions which are there so that various things can be altered or hooked in at the right place. Network.conf contains the full network setup details, including special interface setup for the likes of ciped/pppd/wanconfig, and is fully commented with examples given. UPGRADE PATH FROM KERNEL 2.2.X The firewall/IP filtering stuff in ipfilter.conf is the part that changed radically with the move to iptables and a far better way of set- ting up the IP filtering rules, however the QoS and interface startup/shutdown in if.conf have changed but are backwards compatible with the old 2.2.x ipchains version of netscript for the interface address configuration settings. You will have to set up the filtering again to use iptables by directly using the iptables commands. Also, the kernel 2.2.x version scripts are set up so that iptables is only run on a 2.4.x kernel, otherwise IP forwarding is disabled if beforehand you set IPFWDING_KERNEL to FILTER_ON in network.conf. This means that when you upgrade a box to a 2.4.x router kernel, you should then be able to reboot it and log into remotely and upgrade netscript to the version that will support 2.4.x. In this situation, if you have set old IPFWDING_KERNEL setting to FILTER_ON beforehand in network.conf, all IP forwarding through the box will also be disabled. This means that you can safely remotely upgrade a firewall. SEE ALSO
netscript(8), ipchains(8), iproute(8), brcfg(8). AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Matthew Grant <grantma@anathoth.gen.nz>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). BUGS
The author is lazy. He needs to write btter man pages... November 23, 2000 NETSCRIPT-2.2.conf(5)