Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Addign spaces between text
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Addign spaces between text Post 10151 by rwb1959 on Thursday 8th of November 2001 01:16:42 PM
Old 11-08-2001
Here are some URL's to get you going (there are lots more)
Check out the FAQ's on this forum as well...

http://www.pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/unix/sed.html
http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/helpsheets/regex.html
http://www.ntua.gr/cgi-bin/man-cgi?sed+1

...try a few things and let us know how it goes. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Please Help!! Reading a string of text with concurrent spaces into a shell variable

Please Help!! Here is a very simplistic example of what I am trying to accomplish. I need what I have inbetween the quotes to be read into the shell variable. x="This is fun" echo $x The results of x from the above expression is: This is fun Notice the unix takes out the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mjs3221
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding specific text and spaces to each line in a text file

Hi, I wanted to add specific text to each row in a text file containing three rows. Example: 0 8 7 6 5 5 7 8 9 0 7 9 7 8 9 0 1 2 And I want to add a 21 at the beginning of the first row, and blank spaces at the beginning of the second two rows. To get this: 21 0 8 7 6 5 5 7 8... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hertingm
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read variables contain spaces from text file

Dears, I developed a shell script to read varibales from text file as the following: cat /dev/null > /rename-OUT.txt while read line do set -- `echo $line` snmpset -c dslmibs $1 sysName.0 octetstring $2 after=$(snmpget -c dslmibs $1 sysName.0 | cut -d: -f3) echo "$1,$2,$after" >>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ahmed.zaher
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove blank spaces in a text file...

Hi, I have this problem that there are blank spaces in my text file... i want to remove them line 1 line 2 line 3 I want to remove the space between line 2 and line 3... I tried sed... it work but it prints the whole text file at the command prompt which i dont want.... sde i tried was... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhagya2340
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

csh script for deleting extra spaces in text file

I am new to scripting and I needed to know if there would be an easy way to delete extra spaces in a text file. I have a file with three rows with 22 numbers each, but there is extra spaces between the numbers when it gets output by this program AFNI that I am using. What script would help delete... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hertingm
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace blank spaces with semicolon - text file

Hi all, Been trying to find a solution to this, I'm sure its a sed 1 liner, but I don't know sed well enough to work it out... I have a text file in the following format: 431 666 1332 2665 0.24395 432 670 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mpcengineering
3 Replies

7. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

How to print several pages only text without spaces among

1 I open pdf file - it has empty borders of space without text 2 I want to print 9 pages to save paper & eyes 3 In Okular i choose print - 9 pages. And I have no option for adjusting text to text (to print without spaces among 9 pages). What program can you recommend to me for this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Xcislav
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing blank spaces from text files in UNIX

Hello, I am an super newbie, so forgive my sheer ignorance. I have a series of text files formatted as follows (just showing the header and first few lines): mean_geo mean_raw lat lon 0.000 0 -70.616 163.021 0.000 0 -70.620 163.073 0.000 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vtoniolo
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ls -ltr a list of filenames-with-spaces within a text file

OS: RHEL 5.8 shell: bash 3.2.25 Directory /home/guest/ contains these files: file a file b file c fileD fileE fileF testFile.txt I'm trying to find the syntax to run ls -ltr against this list of files that is contained within a text file, testFile.txt. The file testFile.txt has... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: uschaafm
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - print columns with text and spaces

Hi, I'm using awk to print columns from a tab delimited text file: awk '{print " "$2" "$3" $6"}' file The problem I have is column 6 contains text with spaces etc which means awk only prints the first word. How can I tell awk to print the whole column content as column 6? Thanks, (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: keenboy100
10 Replies
Template::Plugin::URL(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				  Template::Plugin::URL(3)

NAME
Template::Plugin::URL - Plugin to construct complex URLs SYNOPSIS
[% USE url('/cgi-bin/foo.pl') %] [% url(debug = 1, id = 123) %] # ==> /cgi/bin/foo.pl?debug=1&id=123 [% USE mycgi = url('/cgi-bin/bar.pl', mode='browse', debug=1) %] [% mycgi %] # ==> /cgi/bin/bar.pl?mode=browse&debug=1 [% mycgi(mode='submit') %] # ==> /cgi/bin/bar.pl?mode=submit&debug=1 [% mycgi(debug='d2 p0', id='D4-2k[4]') %] # ==> /cgi-bin/bar.pl?mode=browse&debug=d2%20p0&id=D4-2k%5B4%5D DESCRIPTION
The "URL" plugin can be used to construct complex URLs from a base stem and a hash array of additional query parameters. The constructor should be passed a base URL and optionally, a hash array reference of default parameters and values. Used from with a template, it would look something like the following: [% USE url('http://www.somewhere.com/cgi-bin/foo.pl') %] [% USE url('/cgi-bin/bar.pl', mode='browse') %] [% USE url('/cgi-bin/baz.pl', mode='browse', debug=1) %] When the plugin is then called without any arguments, the default base and parameters are returned as a formatted query string. [% url %] For the above three examples, these will produce the following outputs: http://www.somewhere.com/cgi-bin/foo.pl /cgi-bin/bar.pl?mode=browse /cgi-bin/baz.pl?mode=browse&debug=1 Note that additional parameters are separated by '"&"' rather than simply '"&"'. This is the correct behaviour for HTML pages but is, unfortunately, incorrect when creating URLs that do not need to be encoded safely for HTML. This is likely to be corrected in a future version of the plugin (most probably with TT3). In the mean time, you can set $Template::Plugin::URL::JOINT to "&" to get the correct behaviour. Additional parameters may be also be specified to the URL: [% url(mode='submit', id='wiz') %] Which, for the same three examples, produces: http://www.somewhere.com/cgi-bin/foo.pl?mode=submit&id=wiz /cgi-bin/bar.pl?mode=browse&id=wiz /cgi-bin/baz.pl?mode=browse&debug=1&id=wiz A new base URL may also be specified as the first option: [% url('/cgi-bin/waz.pl', test=1) %] producing /cgi-bin/waz.pl?test=1 /cgi-bin/waz.pl?mode=browse&test=1 /cgi-bin/waz.pl?mode=browse&debug=1&test=1 The ordering of the parameters is non-deterministic due to fact that Perl's hashes themselves are unordered. This isn't a problem as the ordering of CGI parameters is insignificant (to the best of my knowledge). All values will be properly escaped thanks to some code borrowed from Lincoln Stein's "CGI" module. e.g. [% USE url('/cgi-bin/woz.pl') %] [% url(name="Elrich von Benjy d'Weiro") %] Here the spaces and ""'"" character are escaped in the output: /cgi-bin/woz.pl?name=Elrich%20von%20Benjy%20d%27Weiro An alternate name may be provided for the plugin at construction time as per regular Template Toolkit syntax. [% USE mycgi = url('cgi-bin/min.pl') %] [% mycgi(debug=1) %] AUTHOR
Andy Wardley <abw@wardley.org> <http://wardley.org/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 1996-2007 Andy Wardley. All Rights Reserved. This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
Template::Plugin perl v5.12.1 2008-11-13 Template::Plugin::URL(3)