Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Sending tar output to a remote host Post 101461 by blowtorch on Wednesday 8th of March 2006 11:10:07 AM
Old 03-08-2006
Oh, OK. My mistake. I thought this was a simple transfer of files thing. Can you try this command instead?

Code:
tar -cf - *|ssh -l remote_user remote_host cd /some/tmp/dir\; tar -xf -\;tar -cf /path/to/tape \*

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to specify the remote host?

Hi, I want to compare 2 set of dierectories, one is current host, other in remote, I am tring like this: diff $HOSTTOBACKUPH:$SOURCEHR $DR_BACKUP_DIR_H/hourly.0 I am getting fowlling error> diff: ctlrws123:/home/arbuser/temp2/mscdr/sor_d: No such file or directory how to specify the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: redlotus72
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Tar files, transfer to remote host and delelte source

Hi, I´m having a problem here. I have a directory that holds many subdirs and files (by many I mean MANY thousands). What I want to do is make blocks of these files and transfer them block by block to a remote host; but once a given file is already placed in the remote host, the script must... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dago
0 Replies

3. Solaris

How to delete the files from local host to remote host

Hi all, i am copying .gz files from production server to development server using "scp" command.my requirement is after copying .gz files i want to delete old .gz files(two days back) in development server from production server. like this way i need to delelte .log ,.z and .dmp files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna176
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sending Commands to a Remote Host

I am trying to write a script that logs into an SMTP server and authenticates as a user or verifies that a user exists. I can do all this from the command line but I don't know how to write a script to do this for me, I login and then the script stops, I'm sure this is some basic principle. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: safetytrick
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run a shell script from one host which connext to remote host and run the commands

I want to write a script which would run from one host say A and connect to other remote host B and then run rest of commands in that host. I tried connecting from A host to B with SSH but after connecting to host B it just getting me inside Host B command prompt. Rest of the script is not running... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SN2009
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

running commands to remote host from centralized host

Gurus/Experts We have a centralized UNIX/Solaris server from where we can actually ssh to all other UNIX/Solaris servers...I need to write a script that reside on this centerlized server and do FileSystem monitoring (basically run df -h or -k) of other remote servers and then send an email to me... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: anjum.suri
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help! How to find the local host after few ssh hops to remote host???

I do a ssh to remote host(A1) from local host(L1). I then ssh to another remote(A2) from A1. When I do a who -m from A2, I see the "connected from" as "A1". => who -m userid pts/2 2010-03-27 08:47 (A1) I want to identify who is the local host who initiated the connection to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gomes1333
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pause processes in remote host and resume execution in another remote host

Hi, Given addresses of 2 remote machines, using a shell script is it possible to get the state of running processes in "src" stop all the processes in "src" exit out of "src" ssh into "dest" resume the state of executing processes captured in step 1 in "dest" Assumption: "src" is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saeya Darsan
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remote FTP Backup -Tar archive+ encrypt+ split to a remote ftp

I have a huge directoy(200+ gb) for backup. I want upload the tar file(split files) simultaneous to a remote ftp. (pipeline, stdout, stdin etc.) I don't want write a data to local hdd. I have a ssd hdd. thanks. this code doesn't work.( yes i know the problem is split command!) tar cvzf -... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tara123
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check/get the exit status of a remote command executed on remote host through script

Geeks, Could you please help me out in my script and identify the missing piece. I need to check/get the exit status of a remote command executed on remote host through script and send out an email when process/processes is/are not running on any/all server(s). Here's the complete... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lovesaikrishna
5 Replies
GIT-TAR-TREE(1) 						    Git Manual							   GIT-TAR-TREE(1)

NAME
git-tar-tree - Create a tar archive of the files in the named tree object SYNOPSIS
git tar-tree [--remote=<repo>] <tree-ish> [ <base> ] DESCRIPTION
THIS COMMAND IS DEPRECATED. Use git archive with --format=tar option instead (and move the <base> argument to --prefix=base/). Creates a tar archive containing the tree structure for the named tree. When <base> is specified it is added as a leading path to the files in the generated tar archive. git tar-tree behaves differently when given a tree ID versus when given a commit ID or tag ID. In the first case the current time is used as modification time of each file in the archive. In the latter case the commit time as recorded in the referenced commit object is used instead. Additionally the commit ID is stored in a global extended pax header. It can be extracted using git get-tar-commit-id. OPTIONS
<tree-ish> The tree or commit to produce tar archive for. If it is the object name of a commit object. <base> Leading path to the files in the resulting tar archive. --remote=<repo> Instead of making a tar archive from local repository, retrieve a tar archive from a remote repository. CONFIGURATION
tar.umask This variable can be used to restrict the permission bits of tar archive entries. The default is 0002, which turns off the world write bit. The special value "user" indicates that the archiving user's umask will be used instead. See umask(2) for details. EXAMPLES
git tar-tree HEAD junk | (cd /var/tmp/ && tar xf -) Create a tar archive that contains the contents of the latest commit on the current branch, and extracts it in /var/tmp/junk directory. git tar-tree v1.4.0 git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release. git tar-tree v1.4.0^{tree} git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release, but without a global extended pax header. git tar-tree --remote=example.com:git.git v1.4.0 >git-1.4.0.tar Get a tarball v1.4.0 from example.com. git tar-tree HEAD:Documentation/ git-docs > git-1.4.0-docs.tar Put everything in the current head's Documentation/ directory into git-1.4.0-docs.tar, with the prefix git-docs/. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.7.10.4 11/24/2012 GIT-TAR-TREE(1)