Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Edited Path in Profile File
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Edited Path in Profile File Post 101425 by vino on Wednesday 8th of March 2006 05:48:49 AM
Old 03-08-2006
Change your path to
Code:
PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:$PATH

That should be a start for you.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Modifying $PATH variable in /etc/profile

In my /etc/profile, my $PATH variable is set as follows: $PATH =/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/etc Then how do I add an additional directory to it? say /export/home/abd/rose Please advise. Thanks! Deepali (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deepali
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

full path of .profile in unix

need a help, am a newbe in unix how do i locate the full path of the .profile where the environmental variable for a user is set. thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dba
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

echo $PATH doesn't match $HOME/.profile

This is on a Solaris 9 box, but I feel like a noob, so I am posting here. When I echo $PATH I get a lot of duplicate paths and extra stuff I don't need. What I want is just what I set up in my home dir under .profile My login shell=/bin/bash I checked the following and there are no path... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Veestan
1 Replies

4. Solaris

/etc/profile file edited. No command working

I have X4500 and I created a user. I wanted to give him root privileges and for editing the sudoers files I typed visudo sudoers. But it said visudo command not found. After googling I found that we need to set path in etc/profile. I edited that and put the following command ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharu_sri
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Saving file edited whith sed

HI! I have a file that looks like this: >ANKRD30_2kb AAGTAACCAATGCAGGAAACCGAGAGGAGAGGTTTGGAAGGTGGTTTAGTGAGGTAATCCATCTTTTCT AGTGATAAACTGGCACCCAGTCAATTTATTCATCAGAAGGGAATACATCAGCCTGGCGTGGTGGCTCGC CCCCGACCCTGTCAGCGTCACCAGCAGCGCGGATCCATGGGCCAGAAGCCTCTAGGGCGCCTAAGTCAG Number of residues in the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanesa1230
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

profile PATH include subdirectories

I would like to modify my .profile PATH to include all subdirectories of the directory I specify. For example, right now I have PATH=$HOME/tier1 Tier1 has a tier2 directory in it. Right now I can execute files from tier1, but not tier2. I know I can add another path with $HOME/tier1/tier2,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Smed
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Who edited my text file?

I was editing my text file in gvim & I was getting message that its changed & to load again. I work in a workplace environment with everyone having there username.. How can I know that who edited my file? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishanu
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a file name that was recently edited when listed using ls command?

I was trying to write a script that will process recently creatd file. From below, the script should process input_20111230.dat file. sam:/top/work/data/input: ls -ltr input_*.dat -rw-rw-rw- 1 work edprod 455668 Dec 24 09:16 input_20111224.dat -rw-r--r-- 1 work edprod ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: siteregsam
7 Replies

9. UNIX and Linux Applications

Notepad++ hang when open file edited in other text editor

Hi, I would like to ask about the notepad++ text editor application, Although there are alternative and more great text editor in linux (gedit, geany, jedit) im still using the notepad++ sometimes cause for some of my own reason one of those is the minimalist text(what i mean is notepad++ has a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding to the end of the path in .profile

Hi there, I have the following in my path: export PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/sbin But I want to change it programmatically(for the purpose of JBoss automatic(ansible) installs) to: export PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/jdk/jdk1.8.0_60 and after that I need to insert the JAVA_HOME programmatically,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hvdalsen
7 Replies
getusershell(3C)					   Standard C Library Functions 					  getusershell(3C)

NAME
getusershell, setusershell, endusershell - get legal user shells SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> char *getusershell(void); void setusershell(void); void endusershell(void); DESCRIPTION
The getusershell() function returns a pointer to a legal user shell as defined by the system manager in the file /etc/shells. If /etc/shells does not exist, the following locations of the standard system shells are used in its place: /bin/bash /bin/csh /bin/jsh /bin/ksh /bin/pfcsh /bin/pfksh /bin/pfsh /bin/sh /bin/tcsh /bin/zsh /sbin/jsh /sbin/pfsh /sbin/sh /usr/bin/bash /usr/bin/csh /usr/bin/jsh /usr/bin/ksh /usr/bin/pfcsh /usr/bin/pfksh /usr/bin/pfsh /usr/bin/sh /usr/bin/tcsh /usr/bin/zsh /usr/xpg4/bin/sh The getusershell() function opens the file /etc/shells, if it exists, and returns the next entry in the list of shells. The setusershell() function rewinds the file or the list. The endusershell() function closes the file, frees any memory used by getusershell() and setusershell(), and rewinds the file /etc/shells. RETURN VALUES
The getusershell() function returns a null pointer on EOF. BUGS
All information is contained in memory that may be freed with a call to endusershell(), so it must be copied if it is to be saved. SunOS 5.10 30 Aug 2004 getusershell(3C)