Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: finding directories in UNIX
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers finding directories in UNIX Post 10140 by yodaddy on Thursday 8th of November 2001 11:12:51 AM
Old 11-08-2001
Bug finding directories in UNIX

I am accessing a UNIX server via FTP. I want to retieve a file in a directory. What is the UNIX command that I need to view and retrieve files from a directory?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding executable files in all directories

This is probably very easy but I would like to know a way to list all my files in all my directories that are readable and executable to everyone. I was told to use find or ls and I tried some stuff but couldnt get it to work. I understand that its dangerous to have files with these permissions for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: CSGUY
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding largest files (not directories)?

hello all. i would like to be able to find the names of all files on a remote machine using ssh. i only want the names of files, not directories so far i'm stuck at "du -a | sort -n" also, is it possible to write them to a file on my machine? i know how to write it to a file on that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: user19190989
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding correct directories

I have directories like V00R01,V00R02,V01R01,V01R02 in a directory where V is version and R is a release. basically I need to set base directory and current directory. Under a version there can be any number of releases and there can be number of versions also. V00R01...V00R50..so on also,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vjasai
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for parsing directories one level and finding directories older than n days

Hello all, Here's the deal...I have one directory with many subdirs and files. What I want to find out is who is keeping old files and directories...say files and dirs that they didn't use since a number of n days, only one level under the initial dir. Output to a file. A script for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejianu
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding size of all directories

Alright so I've tried a couple different things that at first glance, looked like they worked. find . -maxdepth 5 -type d -daystart -mtime 1 | xargs du -h Which seems to ignore the previous commands such as depth and modified time. find .. -maxdepth 2 -type d -daystart -ctime 1 | xargs... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aussiemick
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Finding the Files In the Same Name Directories

Hi, In the Unix Box, I have a situation, where there is folder name called "Projects" and in that i have 20 Folders S1,S2,S3...S20. In each of the Folders S1,S2,S3,...S20 , there is a same name folder named "MP". So Now, I want to get all the files in all the "MP" Folders and write all those... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siva Sankar
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding multiply directories

I have multiply directories scattered throughout my system that end in 2011. Example: one_2011 two_2011 three_2011 etc.... I'm trying to find all of these directories but coming up short. I tried find / -type d -name *2011 > example Any suggestions? I already searched in the... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: shorty
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the directories with same permission and then apply some default UNIX commands

HI there. My teacher asked us to write a code for this question Write a Unix shell script named 'mode' that accepts two or more arguments, a file mode, a command and an optional list of parameters and performs the given command with the optional parameters on all files with that given mode. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: femchi
1 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Finding the directories with same permission and then apply some default UNIX commands

Write a Unix shell script named 'mode' that accepts two or more arguments, a file mode, a command and an optional list of parameters and performs the given command with the optional parameters on all files with that given mode. For example, mode 644 ls -l should perform the command ls -l on all... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: femchi
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding directories with expression

Hi All, I need your help in finding pattern of directories. need to search for all pattern have "mypatern" from base directory folder. example ------- server1 - base directory 100 server1/ab_123456_1/mypattern 100 server1/ab_123456_2/mypattern 200 server1/ab_123457_1/mypattern... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: lxdorney
13 Replies
ftpconfig(1M)						  System Administration Commands					     ftpconfig(1M)

NAME
ftpconfig - set up anonymous FTP SYNOPSIS
ftpconfig [ftpdir] ftpconfig -d ftpdir DESCRIPTION
The ftpconfig script is executed by the super user to set up anonymous FTP. Anonymous FTP allows users to remotely log on to the FTP server by specifying the user name ftp or anonymous and the user's email address as password. The anonymous users are logged on to the FTP Server and given access to a restricted file area with its own file system root. See chroot(2). The FTP area has its own minimal system files. This command will copy and set up all the components needed to operate an anonymous FTP server, including creating the ftp user account, creating device nodes, copying /usr/lib files, and copying timezone data. The passwd and group files set up have been stripped down to prevent malicious users from finding login names on the server. The anonymous file area will be placed under ftpdir. If the ftp user account already exists, then the current FTP area is used, and the system files in it are updated. All other files are left untouched. This command should be run to update the anonymous FTP area's configuration whenever a system patch is installed, or the system is upgraded. OPTIONS
-d Create a new or update an existing ftpdir without creating or updating the ftp user account. Use this option when creating guest FTP user accounts. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: ftpdir The absolute pathname of the directory under which the anonymous FTP area is set up. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion 1 Improper usage of the command 2 Command failed ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWftpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ftpaddhost(1M), in.ftpd(1M), useradd(1M), chroot(2), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 1 May 2003 ftpconfig(1M)