Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting determine owner directory permissions from within the directory Post 101382 by Sniper Pixie on Tuesday 7th of March 2006 04:06:40 PM
Old 03-07-2006
Cheers! It's been a long long day. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

cannot determine current directory

Hi, when I execute some simple commands on my solaris system, I am getting the following warning message: Could anybody tell me what could be the reason Ex:- If I give the command, which ls Warning: cannot determine current directory ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: axes
15 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Perl] Determine directory name

Hi there, I wonder if it is possible the determine a name of a directory which is different on various hosts. Let me try to explain. I have the directory /tmp/dir1/dir2/canchangedir. This directory name is different on various hosts. I need to use the directory name, independent from the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejdv
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to display only Owner and directory/sub directory names under particular root

hai, I am new to Unix, I have a requirement to display owner name , directory or sub directory name, who's owner name is not equal to "oasitqtc". (here "oasitqtc" is the owner of the directory or sub directory.) i have a command (below) which will display all folders and sub folders, but i... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gagan4599
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Group files by owner and show directory

Hello, i would like to find huge files and group them by owners. To find big files i use this command: ls -lR | sort -bnr +4 | head -n 75 which give me 75 biggest files, then i need to see in which subdirectory is every file. second thing i dont know is how to group those files by owner, could... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dealer1985
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking directory permissions on UNIX directory

Hi, How do i check if I have read/write/execute rights on a UNIX directory? What I'm doing is checking read access on the files but i also want to check if user has rights on the direcory in whcih these files are present. if then...... And I check if the directory exists by using... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chetancrsp18
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete directory from ghost owner with awk

Hi all Unix gurus :) I really need urgent help with deleting ghost (owner is only numbers) accounts on our OS X server in users home directory. I get this ghost accounts after deleting a user from Workgroup Manager. I have done a script that I can see this ghost accounts with: ls -la |... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: macguy
4 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

Logic of owner of directory or file

Would the owner as listed , be the one who made the directory in the first place. when any one could use chown in a script. I do not know where this directory came form or who made it. And am attempting to just find out more info on it. what could i use to find its origins and its why does it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cowLips
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Directory Permissions for 2 users on 1 directory

we want to allow user to FTP files into a directory, and then the program (PLSQL) will read and process the file, and then move the file to other directory for archiving. the user id: uftp1, group: ftp the program run in oracle database, thus have the user Id: oraprod, group: dba how to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siakhooi
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Changing file/directory owner

Hi , I want to change owner of files or folder from 23186 to dsadm, Present ------- -rw-r--r-- 1 23186 gdstage 10240 Oct 31 2007 BLTRS drwxrwxrwx 3 23186 gdstage 512 Sep 1 2010 sql Required as ----------- -rw-r--r-- 1 dsadm gdstage 10240 Oct 31 2007 BLTRS drwxrwxrwx 3 dsadm gdstage... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sridhardwh
6 Replies

10. AIX

How to set owner and permission for files/directory in directory in this case?

Hi. My example: I have a filesystem /log. Everyday, log files are copied to /log. I'd like to set owner and permission for files and directories in /log like that chown -R log_adm /log/* chmod -R 544 /log/*It's OK, but just at that time. When a new log file or new directory is created in /log,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobochacha29
8 Replies
delete directory(1m)													      delete directory(1m)

NAME
delete directory - Deletes a directory SYNOPSIS
cdscp delete directory directory-name ARGUMENTS
The full name of the directory. DESCRIPTION
The delete directory command deletes a directory. The directory cannot contain any object entries, soft links, or child pointers. The master replica must be the only remaining replica in the cell. Use the delete replica command if you need to remove read-only replicas. Privilege Required You must have delete permission to the directory and write permission to the clearinghouse that stores the master replica of the directory. The server principal needs administer permission to the parent directory or delete permission to the child pointer that points to the directory you intend to delete. NOTE
This command is replaced at Revision 1.1 by the dcecp command and may not be provided in future releases of DCE. EXAMPLE
The following command deletes the directory /.:/eng from the namespace: cdscp> delete directory /.:/eng RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: create directory(1m), delete replica(1m), list directory(1m), set directory(1m), set directory to skulk(1m), show directory(1m) delete directory(1m)