Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reading file names from a file and executing the relative file from shell script Post 101324 by anushilrai on Tuesday 7th of March 2006 08:16:07 AM
Old 03-07-2006
Reading file names from a file and executing the relative file from shell script

Hi
How can i dynamically read files names from a list file and execute them from a single shell script.

Please help its urgent

Thanks in Advance

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

executing scripts by reading names from a file

file.txt contains ------------------ sat1 1300 sat2 2400 sat3 sat4 500 I need to write a shell script that will output like the below #output sat1.ksh 1300 sat2.ksh 2400 sat3.ksh sat4.ksh 500 my try ------- #!/bin/ksh for i in `cat file.txt` (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: konark
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dealing with spaces in file names in a shell script

Hi, What's the best way to find all files under a directory - including ones with space - in order to apply a command to each of them. For instance I want get a list of files under a directory and generate a checksum for each file. Here's the csh script: #!/bin/csh set files = `find $1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: same1290
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting : No such file or directory while executing a shell script

Hi all, I am getting : No such file or directory while executing a shell script. But i have that corresponding file in the corresponding path. It also have executable rights. Please help me out in this Thanks in advance. Ananthi.U (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ananthi_ku
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming file names in a shell script

I want to write a shell script that will rename all the file names to today's date attached to it.. so for example i have a file names like file1.sales.20081201.txt.c zbrs.salestxtn.20091101.txt.inn then it will rename both the files with todays date to it so the file names get changed... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rudoraj
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

want only file names (not whole path) in shell script

hi i wrote following script, #!/usr/bin/sh for index in `ls /tmp/common/*.txt` do echo "$index" done here index is giving full path but in my program i want only file names (not along with whole path) Eg. if in /tmp/common files are a.txt and b.txt den out should be a.txt b.txt ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: crackthehit007
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a Continuous File Reading-Executing Shell Script

I need to write something that will read and execute all the files(Mainly executable scripts) inside one or more folders; in other words, a continuous chain with a break when finished. I'm new to shell and need syntax help. I'm on Ubuntu 12.10-Gnome btw. Here are some main highlights I think... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxlololol
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading XML file and print the values in the text file using Linux shell script

hi guys, i want help... Reding XML file and print the values into the text file using linux shell script file as per below xml file <sequence> <Filename>aldorzum.doc</Filename> <DivisionCode>US</DivisionCode> <ContentType>Template</ContentType> <ProductCode>VIMZIM</ProductCode> </sequence>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sravanreddy
1 Replies

8. SCO

Long file names within shell script

I am downloading a zip file that contain files that are very long. I am trying to process them, but cannot. I can move the files from one directory to another at the shell prompt, but not within a shell script, I get a stat error. The files look somewhat like this; ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: trolley
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh Script, Reading A File, Grepping A File Contents In Another File

So I'm stumped. First... APOLOGIES... my work is offline in an office that has zero internet connectivity, as required by our client. If need be, I could print out my script attempts and retype them here. But on the off chance... here goes. I have a text file (file_source) of terms, each line... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Brusimm
3 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)