Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting redirect stderr to dev/null in bash env. Post 101317 by Sniper Pixie on Tuesday 7th of March 2006 06:42:04 AM
Old 03-07-2006
I'm afraid neither of those two solutions work. Both still print the error message, with the added bonus of yours producing a question mark as well, Vino.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

redirect stderr and/or stdout to /dev/null from command line

Is it possible to redirect errors at the command line when you run the script such as bash scriptname & 2>/dev/null? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: knc9233
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

can't redirect stderr in bash

Consider: #!/bin/sh #this is a shell script in sh (bourne) grep missingfile 2>errout.txt It works from the command line, but keeps producing errors from the script. So how do I redirect in a bash shell...or bourne? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lumix
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to redirect the import log to /dev/null?

Hi i am running oracle database import through a script and script scans the import log to see if there are any errors. Now the porblem is that when i run the script the import log appears on the screen even if i direct the output of import to /dev/null. imp "'/ as sysdba'"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinoo128
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh, bash, and /dev/stderr: no such device

Hello, When I run the following program: ssh 192.168.1.4 bash -l <<EOF > echo foo >/dev/stderr > EOF I get the following confusing error. bash: line 1: /dev/stderr: No such device or address Does anyone know why and how to fix it? I'm capturing stdout in a variable, but I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brsett
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/dev/null 2>&1 Versus /dev/null 2>1

How are these two different? They both prevent output and error from being displayed. I don't see the use of the "&" echo "hello" > /dev/null 2>&1 echo "hello" > /dev/null 2>1 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting standard out to /dev/null goes to file "/dev/null" instead

I apologize if this question has been answered else where or is too elementary. I ran across a KSH script (long unimportant story) that does this: if ; then CAS_SRC_LOG="/var/log/cas_src.log 2>&1" else CAS_SRC_LOG="/dev/null 2>&1" fithen does this: /usr/bin/echo "heartbeat:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbmorrisonjr
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Stdout stderr to /dev/null

Sorry for my ignorance... but... I've a script with some output redirect to /dev/null, example: fsck.ext3 -a /dev/sdb1 1>/dev/null 2>/dev/null How can I simplify this redirect ? (1 & 2) thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ionral
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect the audio output to /dev/null

I'm using an text-to-speech synthesis in a script, and I need to redirect it's output to /dev/null how can I do that ? And how to redirect the stream to his normal output then (sound card ) ? thankx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: firelink
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect Standard Error to /dev/null is not working.

Hello. When I run a .ksh that contains the command below, and there is no file available in the source location the "FILE_NAME_*.CSV not found" error is still being displayed. FILEN=$(ssh ${SOURCE_SERV} "cd ${SOURCE_LOCATION} ;ls ${FILES}") 2> /dev/null. This is interfering with the rest... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimbojames
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect string from bash stderr to user stdin

Hi there, I need to execute a command in the bash. The program prints some standard (output and) error and then wants the user to choose one of several options and type the according input. I am trying to solve this issue in a bash script but also running into some circular dependency. How can I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fredestet
7 Replies
DXmCreateCursor(3X)													       DXmCreateCursor(3X)

NAME
DXmCreateCursor - Creates a specific cursor. SYNOPSIS
Cursor DXmCreateCursor( Widget widget, int cursorkind ); PARAMETERS
The widget from which display information is obtained. An integer that represents the type of cursor, as follows: --------------------------------------------------------------- Value Cursor Description --------------------------------------------------------------- decw$c_wait_cursor(4) A watch decw$c_questionmark_cursor(54) A question mark decw$c_inactive_cursor(6) A caution ("do not enter") symbol --------------------------------------------------------------- The following X Window System fallbacks are provided in the event the DECwindows-specific cursors cannot be loaded: ----------------------------------------------- DECwindows-Specific Cursor X Fallback ----------------------------------------------- decw$c_wait_cursor XC_watch decw$c_questionmark_cursor XC_question_arrow decw$c_inactive_cursor XC_circle ----------------------------------------------- You can specify additional cursor symbols by examining the /usr/include/X11/decwcursor.h file. (X Window System fallbacks are pro- vided for each of those cursors as well.) DESCRIPTION
The DXmCreateCursor routine enables you to create a cursor that displays as a watch, question mark, or caution ("do not enter") symbol (these are the most frequently used cursor symbols). RETURN VALUES
The identifier (cursor ID) of the created cursor. DXmCreateCursor(3X)