Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Argument list too long - Shell error Post 101048 by dad5119 on Friday 3rd of March 2006 11:21:31 AM
Old 03-03-2006
Argument list too long for multiple commands

Thanks for the suggestions - however when I use an asterisk in my matching criteria (even for the "ls" command) - I get the same error.

I guess the default limit for an argument list is used for ALL commands.
Commands like "ls" "gzip" "tar" "cp" "mv" "cat" - all complain when I try to limit the argument list.

I was hoping there was some shell configuration setting that would increase the allowable size - but I'm beginning to think that it's the programs problem - not the shell environment.

Rick

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Argument list too long - SSH

Hi I executed the code for file in `ls pdb*.ent` do new_name=`echo $file | sed 's/^pdb//;s/.ent/.txt/'` mv $file $new_name done Its giving error at ' ls pdb*.ent' argument list too long i have around 150000 entries please help Thank you (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: empyrean
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

TAR Files Argument list too long error

Hi, I have a requirement where I need to TAR more than 50K files. Even though I can do TAR successfully on few 100s of files, but whenever Im trying to TAR the entire 50K files, I am getting the error message : Argument List Too Long. Please suggest how can i avoid this error. Im... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unx100
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

"Argument list too long" error

Hi everyone, I have a problem with my shell script. As a quick overview I need to change a template file 6561 times and copy the file into a new catalogue. Thanks to your forum I have managed to write a script to do so: #!/bin/sh template=$1 for values in {45,165,285}\ {45,165,285}\... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mario8eren
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Argument too long list error

I have a wrote a script which consits of the below line.. Below of this script I'm getting this error "ksh: /usr/bin/ls: arg list too long" The line is log_file_time=`ssh -i $HOME/.ssh/id_rsa -q $i ls -lrt /bp/karthik/test/data/log/$abc*|tail -1|awk '{print $8}'` And $abc alias is as "p |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 22karthikreddy
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Argument list too long problem

I have a huge set of files (with extension .common) in my directory around 2 million. When I run this script on my Linux with BASH, I get /bin/awk: Argument list too long awk -F'\t' ' NR == FNR { a=NR } NR != FNR { sub(".common", "", FILENAME) print a, FILENAME, $1 } '... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Argument list too long!!

Dear Experts, I have a list of 10K files in a directory. I am not able to execute any commands lile ls -lrt, awk, sed, mv, etc........ I wanna execute below command and get the output. How can I achieve it?? Pls help. root# awk -F'|' '$1 == 1' file_20120710* | wc -l /bin/awk: Argument list... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Naga06
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep : Argument list too long

Hi, i am having some trouble with the below command, can some one suggest me the better way to do it. grep -l 'ReturnCode=1' `find $Log -newer /tmp/Failed.tmp -print | xargs ls -ld | egrep SUB | egrep -ve 'MTP' -ve 'ABC' -ve 'DEF' -ve 'JKL' -ve 'XYZ' | awk '{print $9}'` > $Home1 Its... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prateek007
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

mv : Argument list too long

Hi I am using find command -- find "directory1" -type f | xargs -i mv {} "directory2" to avoid above argument list too long problem. But, issue i am facing is directory1 is having subdirectories due to this i am facing directory traversal problem as i dont want to traverse subdirectories... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: VSom007
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Argument list too long

Hi Team, Here's the situation. I have approximately 300000 to 500000 jpg files in /appl/abcd/work_dir mv /appl/abcd/work_dir /appl/abcd/process_dir The above move command will work if the jpg files count is close to 50000 (not sure). If the count is less this mv command holds good. But if... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unexpected Argument list too long error on later os level

I have a script on RedHat which runs this: ssh -q -t -i $HOME/.ssh/my_key server2 "find ~/toCopy/*data* | xargs sudo mv -f -t /home/files/" I'm getting: sudo: unable to execute /bin/mv: Argument list too long but the reason I use xargs is to avoid this restriction. It used to work... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: say170
8 Replies
TRIMHISTORY(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    TRIMHISTORY(8)

NAME
trimhistory - Remove old Xymon history-log entries SYNOPSIS
trimhistory --cutoff=TIME [options] DESCRIPTION
The trimhistory tool is used to purge old entries from the Xymon history logs. These logfiles accumulate information about all status changes that have occurred for any given service, host, or the entire Xymon system, and is used to generate the event- and history-log web- pages. Purging old entries can be done while Xymon is running, since the tool takes care not to commit updates to a file if it changes mid-way through the operation. In that case, the update is aborted and the existing logfile is left untouched. Optionally, this tool will also remove logfiles from hosts that are no longer defined in the Xymon bb-hosts(5) file. As an extension, even logfiles from services can be removed, if the service no longer has a valid status-report logged in the current Xymon status. OPTIONS
--cutoff=TIME This defines the cutoff-time when processing the history logs. Entries dated before this time are discarded. TIME is specified as the number of seconds since the beginning of the Epoch. This is easily generated by the GNU date(1) utility, e.g. the following com- mand will trim history logs of all entries prior to Oct. 1st 2004: trimhistory --cutoff=`date +%s --date="1 Oct 2004"` --outdir=DIRECTORY Normally, files in the BBHIST directory are replaced. This option causes trimhistory to save the shortened history logfiles to another directory, so you can verify that the operation works as intended. The output directory must exist. --drop Causes trimhistory to delete files from hosts that are not listed in the bb-hosts(5) file. --dropsvcs Causes trimhistory to delete files from services that are not currently tracked by Xymon. Normally these files would be left untouched if only the host exists. --droplogs Process the BBHISTLOGS directory also, and delete status-logs from events prior to the cut-off time. Note that this can dramatically increase the processing time, since there are often lots and lots of files to process. --progress[=N] This will cause trimhistory to output a status line for every N history logs or status-log collections it processes, to indicate how far it has progressed. The default setting for N is 100. --env=FILENAME Loads the environment from FILENAME before executing trimhistory. --debug Enable debugging output. FILES
$BBHIST/allevents The eventlog of all events that have happened in Xymon. $BBHIST/HOSTNAME The per-host eventlogs. $BBHIST/HOSTNAME.SERVICE The per-service eventlogs. $BBHISTLOGS/*/* The historical status-logs. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
BBHIST The directory holding all history logs. BBHISTLOGS The top-level directory for the historical status-log collections. BBHOSTS The location of the bb-hosts file, holding the list of currently known hosts in Xymon. SEE ALSO
xymon(7), bb-hosts(5) Xymon Version 4.2.3: 4 Feb 2009 TRIMHISTORY(8)