Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Disks on AIX
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Disks on AIX Post 101046 by sprellari on Friday 3rd of March 2006 11:01:15 AM
Old 03-03-2006
Re:

You can use the command "lscfg -l hdisk0" to view the loaction code. This code is mapped to physical location both by drawing on top of your macine (rack mounted) or insde the box (Tower machine).

But you can also just use "dd if=/dev/hdisk0 of=/dev/null" and see which one blinks like mad....

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

system disks on aix 5.3

hello i'm running on P570 box aix 5.3 8 cpus 24G ram there are 1850 users loged in to this box the problem is that the two sysytem disks busy all the time hdisk0 100% busy hdisk1 100% busy some one have an idea what writing to this disks? thanks ariec (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ariec
9 Replies

2. AIX

Configurin EMC SAN disks on AIX

This may sound like an absolute rookie question, and it is. I have been working on Migrating our HP and Solaris servers to the new EMC SAN and know the routines backwards. Now we've suddenly got a new IBM server and I don't even know how to check if it is connected to the switch. Can someone... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ronellevan
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Re-using disks

I would like to know if I can move the disks from a V240 chassis into a V440 chassis to use the increased resources (CPU & Memory) to boost performance. I know you can move disks between V210/240 chassis's, but I'm not sure if this would work between 240s & 440s. Any help would be much appreciated. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chains
4 Replies

4. AIX

Configuring new disks on AIX cluster

We run two p5 nodes running AIX 5L in a cluster mode (HACMP), both the nodes share external disk arrays. Only the primary node can access the shared disks at a given point of time. We are in the process of adding two new disks to the disk arrays so as to make them available to the existing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnicky
3 Replies

5. AIX

how to detect removable disks or volume in AIX using command

Hi I am new to AIX and any help regarding the same would be really appriciated, thanks In advance. My priority issue is how to detect from command line that the volume / disk on AIX machine is a USB or removable disk /volume and if possible can we list out details for that disk / volume (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mak_mailbox
1 Replies

6. AIX

SCSI PCI - X RAID Controller card RAID 5 AIX Disks disappeared

Hello, I have a scsi pci x raid controller card on which I had created a disk array of 3 disks when I type lspv ; I used to see 3 physical disks ( two local disks and one raid 5 disk ) suddenly the raid 5 disk array disappeared ; so the hardware engineer thought the problem was with SCSI... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
0 Replies

7. AIX

A solution to the mkvg failure when adding iSCSI disks to AIX.

Previous forum threads have noted that AIX cannot use iSCSI disks because it fails when trying to add them to a volume group using mkvg. The failure is caused by AIX's use of the SCSI "WRITE AND VERIFY"(0x2e) command which some iSCSI targets do not support. We experienced the same problem using... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: garethr
1 Replies

8. AIX

Issue with increasing size of SAN disks on AIX

HI, I have had an issue last night while trying to extend a filesystsem . chvg -g <vg> command cameback with an error 0516-1790 chvg: Failed bootinfo -s hdisk9. Ensure the physical volume is available and try again. 0516-732 chvg: Unable to change volume group u01vg. the VG has 1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xmen01
1 Replies

9. AIX

Stale PPs in AIX, failed disks.. how to replace?

I have a AIX 7.1 system that has 3 failed disks, 1 in rootvg and 2 in vg_usr1. Here is the output of lspv. # lspv hdisk0 00044d4dfbb11575 vg_usr1 active hdisk1 0000150179158027 vg_usr1 active hdisk2 ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: c3rb3rus
11 Replies

10. AIX

How to reclaim hard disks and IP's in AIX?

Hello I recently received a request to reclaim hard disks and IP addresses within an AIX system(s). THe file systems are no longer in use and the client has indicated that it is OK to remove them and reclaim the disks and release the IP's. Now, since the file systems belong to a Volume group I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joseph Sabo
8 Replies
volrecover(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     volrecover(8)

NAME
volrecover - Performs volume recovery operations SYNOPSIS
/sbin/volrecover [-g diskgroup] [-sb] [-o options] [volume | medianame...] OPTIONS
Options that can be specified to volrecover are: Starts disabled volumes that are selected by the operation. Volumes will be started before any other recovery actions are taken. Volumes will be started with the -o delayrecover start option. This requests that any opera- tions that can be delayed in starting a volume will be delayed. In other words, only those operations necessary to make a volume available for use will occur. Other operations, such as mirror resynchronization, attaching of stale plexes and subdisks, and recovery of stale RAID5 parity will normally be delayed. Performs recovery operations in the background. With this option, volrecover will put itself in the back- ground to attach stale plexes and subdisks, and to resynchronize mirrored volumes and RAID5 parity. If this is used with -s, volumes will be started before recovery begins in the background. Performs no recovery operations. If used with -s, volumes will be started, but no other actions will be taken. If used with -p, the only action of volrecover will be to print a list of startable volumes. Prints the list of selected volumes that are startable. For each startable volume, a line is printed containing the following information: the volume name, the disk group ID of the volume, the volume's usage type, and a list of state flags pertaining to mirrors of the volume. State flags and their meanings are: One of the mirrors was detached by an I/O failure One of the mirrors needs recovery, but the recovery is related to an administrative operation, not an I/O failure Neither kdetach nor stale is appropriate for the volume. Displays information about each task started by volrecover. For recovery operations (as opposed to start operations), a completion status is printed when each task completes. Displays commands that volrecover would execute without actually executing them. Lim- its operation of the command to the given disk group, as specified by disk group ID or disk group name. If no volume or medianame operands are given, all disks in this disk group will be recovered; otherwise, the volume and medianame operands will be evaluated relative to the given disk group. Without the -g option, if no operands are given, all volumes in all imported disk groups will be recovered; otherwise, the disk group for each medianame operand will be determined based on name uniqueness within all disk groups. Passes the given option argu- ments to the -o options for the volplex att and volume start operations generated by volrecover. An option argument of the form pre- fix:options can be specified to restrict the set of commands that the -o option should be applied to. Defined prefixes are: Applies to all invocations of the volume utility (volume starts, mirror resynchronizations, RAID5 partity rebuilds, and RAID5 subdisk recoveries) Applies to all invocations of the volplex utility (currently used only for attaching plexes) Applies specifically to plex attach operations applies specifically to volume start operations Applies to subdisk recoveries Applies to mirror resynchronization and RAID5 parity recovery DESCRIPTION
The volrecover program performs plex attach, RAID5 subdisk recovery, and resynchronize operations for the named volumes, or for volumes residing on the named disks (medianame). If no medianame or volume operands are specified, the operation applies to all volumes (or to all volumes in the specified disk group). If -s is specified, disabled volumes will be started. With -s and -n, volumes are started, but no other recovery takes place. Recovery operations will be started in an order that prevents two concurrent operations from involving the same disk. Operations that involve unrelated disks will run in parallel. EXAMPLES
To recover, in the background, any detached subdisks or plexes that resulted from replacement of a specified disk, use the command: # volrecover -b medianame If you want to monitor the operations, use the command: # volrecover -v medianame SEE ALSO
volintro(8), volplex(8), volume(8) volrecover(8)