Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: chown doesn't work
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users chown doesn't work Post 101007 by gauravgoel on Friday 3rd of March 2006 07:33:00 AM
Old 03-03-2006
Thanks madhan, I will look into the man pages,

Regards,
Gaurav

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why doesn't this work?

cat .servers | while read LINE; do ssh jason@$LINE $1 done exit 1 ./command.ksh "ls -l ~jason" Why does this ONLY iterate on the first server in the list? It's not doing the command on all the servers in the list, what am I missing? Thanks! JP (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpeery
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script doesn't work, but commands inside work

Howdie everyone... I have a shell script RemoveFiles.sh Inside this file, it only has two commands as below: rm -f ../../reportToday/temp/* rm -f ../../report/* My problem is that when i execute this script, nothing happened. Files remained unremoved. I don't see any error message as it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cheongww
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

my make doesn't work

hi I wrote the following makefile, I have just one problem, when i type make clean I get the message make 'clean' is up to date and any obj file is removed from my folder, what's wrong? Thank you CC = cc all: es.o elaboration.o $(CC) -o es es.o elaboration.o elaboration.o:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Puntino
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

alias doesn't work

Hi I have put alias ll='ls -la' in .profile file but it doesn't work. On hand it works it looks like the .profile file is not beeing read. How to check whitch file is loaded? ,profile? .bash_profile? My system: SunOS mion 5.10 Generic Shell: /bin/pfksh Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: miojamo
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

What to do when mtime doesn't work?

I have a folder that I need to search for new files and copy on the latest. I've been using "-mtime -1" in my command line but it doesn't seem to work. I've been meaning to fine a different script because files are dropped into the folder all day long and because of the -mtime, I've only be... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
19 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Lipo doesn't work

Hi guys, Am using lipo to merge ppc and i386 version of a static/dylib file based on "file type to load". I am working on Mac OS 10.5.6 and new to shell scripting. Please help me out. This is my code. echo "This file combine ppc and i386 file to form universal library" echo "source... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishwesh
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why doesn't this work?

find . -name "05_scripts" -type d -exec mv -f {}/'*.aep\ Logs' {}/.LogFiles \; Returns this failure: mv: rename ./019_0120_WS_WH_gate_insideTEST/05_scripts/*.aep\ Logs to ./019_0120_WS_WH_gate_insideTEST/05_scripts/.LogFiles/*.aep\ Logs: No such file or directory I don't know why it's trying... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scribling
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why my awk doesn't work?

root@SDP_Wildcat_Pass-3-C1:~# cat /proc/driver/rtc rtc_time : 05:29:40 rtc_date : 2014-12-19 alrm_time : 01:51:53 alrm_date : 2014-12-20 alarm_IRQ : no alrm_pending : no update IRQ enabled : no periodic IRQ enabled : no periodic IRQ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

-ne 0 doesn't work -le does

Hi, I am using korn shell. until ] do echo "\$# = " $# echo "$1" shift done To the above script, I passed 2 parameters and the program control doesn't enter inside "until" loop. If I change it to until ] then it does work. Why numeric comparison is not working with -ne and works... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ab_2010
3 Replies
chown(1)						      General Commands Manual							  chown(1)

NAME
chown - Changes the owner of files or directories SYNOPSIS
chown [-fhR] owner [:group] file... The chown command changes the owner of the specified files or directories to the specified user name or user ID. STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: chown: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
[Tru64 UNIX] Turns off error reporting. [Tru64 UNIX] If file is a symbolic link, chown -h file changes the owner of the symbolic link. The chown file format changes the owner of the file referenced by the symbolic link. Descends recursively through its directory arguments, setting the specified owner. OPERANDS
The pathname of the file for which ownership is to be changed. A user ID and optional group ID to be assigned to file. The owner portion of this operand must be a user name from the user database or a numeric user ID. Either specifies a user ID to be given to each file named by one of the file operands. If a numeric owner operand exists in the user database as a user name, the user ID number associated with that user name will be used as the user ID. If the group portion of this operand is present, it must be a group name from the group database or a numeric group ID. Either spec- ifies a group ID to be given to each file. If a numeric group operand exists in the group database as a group name, the group ID number associated with that group name will be used as the group ID. DESCRIPTION
[Tru64 UNIX] Only a user with superuser authority can use the chown command. The owner argument must be a valid user name or a valid numerical user ID. The optional group argument must be a valid group name or a valid numerical group ID. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: The chown command executed successfully and all requested changes have been made. An error occurred. EXAMPLES
To change the owner of the file program.c, enter: chown steffan program.c The user access permissions for program.c now apply to steffan. As the owner, steffan can use the chmod command to permit or deny the other users access to program.c. See the chmod command for details. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of chown: Provides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If LANG is unset or null, the corresponding value from the default locale is used. If any of the internationalization vari- ables contain an invalid setting, the utility behaves as if none of the variables had been defined. If set to a non-empty string value, overrides the values of all the other internationalization variables. Determines the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multibyte characters in arguments). Determines the locale for the for- mat and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error. Determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of LC_MESSAGES. FILES
Contains user names and numeric user IDs. SEE ALSO
Commands: chgrp(1), chmod(1), passwd(1) Functions: chown(2), chmod(2) Files: passwd(4) Standards: standards(5) chown(1)