Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting simple shell - how to get a parameter typed in a shell script Post 10083 by kapilv on Wednesday 7th of November 2001 12:49:16 PM
Old 11-07-2001
Hi

Inside a shell script you can read the arguments passed to your shell program by $1, $2, $3 .......
for e.g if your script file name is myscript and if you want to pass an argument to it like (myscript arg1) then inside myscript you can refer the arg1 by $1.

Hope this helps
Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

parameter file for a shell script

Hi I was able to pass parameters to a shell script from the command line but now, I am trying to make the shell script to get those parameters/values from a file. Please give me ideas how to do this or if you have an example or website that shows how to do this. I tried searches but it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bryan
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script with input parameter

Can anyone help me how to write a shell script which accepts input parameter. My requirement is as follows: I need to run a shell script with a input parameter, and inside the script i will create a file with this input parameter name. Please help me out to create such a shell script. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jhmr7
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass a parameter from one Shell-script to another Shell-script

Dear Friends, Please help me. How can I pass a parameter from one Shell-script to another Shell-script. Example: FirstScript.sh ------------- ./SecondScript.sh 'paramater' And SecondScript.sh --------------- doing something with passed parameter from FirstScript.sh Please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: subodhbansal
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing parameter in shell script

I have a script file as below named test1.sh sed -e 's/xxxkeys/$1/g' template1.asp > template1.txt sed -e 's/xxxkeys/$2/g' template2.asp > template2.txt sed -e 's/xxxkeys/$3/g' template3.asp > template3.txt sed -e 's/xxxkeys/$4/g' template4.asp > template4.txt I want to replace $1 with a,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: satgur
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script with date parameter

Hi All I have a shell script which calls all the Teradata Utiltyes . There is a sudden change in the requirment . What i'm asked to do is pass on the DATE to the shell script which should take the date automatically and run the utilityes. i.e. the date should not be passed on... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinayrao
5 Replies

6. AIX

Passing a parameter to a shell script?

I would like to run a compress script on files in certain directories. My compress_script.sh is just basically compress file* In order for me to use this I have to copy it into each directory and run it. How can I state the directory on the command line with the compress script so it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NycUnxer
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

parameter value change in shell script

How can i chnage the parameter value in shell script. file name is icare_mmi_cls.com, inside that the parameter name is 10.100.1.2" replace the address to bep-sftp.cce.com. can you please provide me with examples. Thanks Double post - check your PMs and follow the rules, thanks. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: damodarreddys
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Parameter change in shell script

How can i chnage the parameter value in shell script. file name is icare_mmi_cls.com, iside that the parameter name is 10.100.1.2" replace the address to bep-sftp.cce.com. can you please provide me with examples. Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: damodarreddys
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script Shell Parameter

Hi I have two shell script, the second script takes as a parameter the output variable of the first script, please how to retrieve the variable from the first script to pass as a parameter to the second script? Script1.sh i=0 i=$(($i + 1)) Script2.sh echo $1 Thank you (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chercheur111
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read parameter file for a shell script

Hi All, I need urgent Help from all of you here. Below is my code- ================================================== #!/usr/bin/sh cd $1 cat $2 | tr -ds "$" "" > parameter_file.param export `parameter_file.param` chmod 777 parameter_file.param echo $1 echo $2 cd $prmDirInput... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amit786
5 Replies
PTKSH(1p)						       perl/Tk Documentation							 PTKSH(1p)

NAME
ptksh - Perl/Tk script to provide a graphical user interface for testing Perl/Tk commands and scripts. SYNOPSIS
% ptksh ?scriptfile? ... version information ... ptksh> $b=$mw->Button(-text=>'Hi',-command=>sub{print 'Hi'}) ptksh> $b->pack ptksh> o $b ... list of options ... ptksh> help ... help information ... ptksh> exit % DESCRIPTION
ptksh is a perl/Tk shell to enter perl commands interactively. When one starts ptksh a MainWindow is automaticly created, along with a ptksh command window. One can access the main window by typing commands using the variable $mw at the 'ptksh> ' prompt of the command window. ptksh supports command line editing and history. Just type "<Up>" at the command prompt to see a history list. The last 50 commands entered are saved, then reloaded into history list the next time you start ptksh. ptksh supports some convenient commands for inspecting Tk widgets. See below. To exit ptksh use: "exit". ptksh is *not* a full symbolic debugger. To debug perl/Tk programs at a low level use the more powerful perl debugger. (Just enter ``O tk'' on debuggers command line to start the Tk eventloop.) FEATURES
History Press <Up> (the Up Arrow) in the perlwish window to obtain a gui-based history list. Press <Enter> on any history line to enter it into the perlwish window. Then hit return. So, for example, repeat last command is <Up><Enter><Enter>. You can quit the history window with <Escape>. NOTE: history is only saved if exit is "graceful" (i.e. by the "exit" command from the console or by quitting all main windows--NOT by interrupt). Debugging Support ptksh provides some convenience function to make browsing in perl/Tk widget easier: ?, or h displays a short help summary. d, or x ?args, ...? Dumps recursively arguments to stdout. (see Data::Dumper). You must have <Data::Dumper> installed to support this feature. x was introduced for perl debugger compatibility. p ?arg, ...? appends "| " to each of it's arguments and prints it. If value is undef, '(undef)' is printed to stdout. o $widget ?-option ...? prints the option(s) of $widget one on each line. If no options are given all options of the widget are listed. See Tk::options for more details on the format and contents of the returned list. o $widget /regexp/ Lists options of $widget matching the regular expression regexp. u ?class? If no argument is given it lists the modules loaded by the commands you executed or since the last time you called "u". If argument is the empty string lists all modules that are loaded by ptksh. If argument is a string, ``text'' it tries to do a ``use Tk::Text;''. Packages Ptksh compiles into package Tk::ptksh. Your code is eval'ed into package main. The coolness of this is that your eval code should not interfere with ptksh itself. Multiline Commands ptksh will accept multiline commands. Simply put a "" character immediately before the newline, and ptksh will continue your command onto the next line. Source File Support If you have a perl/Tk script that you want to do debugging on, try running the command ptksh> do 'myscript'; -- or (at shell command prompt) -- % ptksh myscript Then use the perl/Tk commands to try out different operations on your script. ENVIRONMENT
Looks for your .ptksh_history in the directory specified by the $HOME environment variable ($HOMEPATH on Win32 systems). FILES
.ptksh_init If found in current directory it is read in an evaluated after the mainwindow $mw is created. .ptksh_init can contain any valid perl code. ~/.ptksh_history Contains the last 50 lines entered in ptksh session(s). PITFALLS
It is best not to use "my" in the commands you type into ptksh. For example "my $v" will make $v local just to the command or commands entered until <Return> is pressed. For a related reason, there are no file-scopy "my" variables in the ptksh code itself (else the user might trounce on them by accident). BUGS
Tk::MainLoop function interactively entered or sourced in a init or script file will block ptksh. SEE ALSO
Tk perldebug VERSION
VERSION 2.03 AUTHORS
Mike Beller <beller@penvision.com>, Achim Bohnet <ach@mpe.mpg.de> Copyright (c) 1996 - 1998 Achim Bohnet and Mike Beller. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. Tk804.03 2010-05-29 PTKSH(1p)