Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers finding out tables not used in scripts. Post 100781 by Vasundhara on Thursday 2nd of March 2006 01:35:09 AM
Old 03-02-2006
script to search for the contents of a file

Hi all,

Please see my requirement and post me asap.

Spool all the tables names into a file . Take each table name and check if it is present in any of the scripts in a directory using grep -il command. The script has to loop through the tables list and take each table and find it's presence in directory. After this exercise, we need to get the list of tables that not present in any of the scripts.

As I am beginner to this shell scripting, I have given the below logic for this to be done. Logic can be same , but I want a clean debugged script.
I am not able to use the variables properly. Please let me know how to use the variables in this case.

Script:

for i in all_tables.txt (this is the spooled file which contains the table names)

do

tbl= head -i all_tables.txt|tail -1

search=grep -il tbl *

if(test -z $search)

then echo ${tbl}>>unused (I wanted to created a file with all the tables which are not used in the scripts)

fi

done

Thanks
Vasundhara
Vasundhara

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

use shell scripts to update tables from databases

Hi I need to write a shell script that will access tables available on webpages and update a table on my webpage on a periodic basis. It will access, say for example a website that periodically update a table with certain quantities and update my table accordingly.it should have the flexibility... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wannabegeek
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding duplicate files by size and finding pattern matching and its count

Hi, I have a challenging task,in which i have to find the duplicate files by its name and size,then i need to take anyone of the file.Then i need to open the file and find for more than one pattern and count of that pattern. Note:These are the samples of two files,but i can have more... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerome Sukumar
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting tables of row data into columns of tables

I am trying to transpose tables listed in the format into format. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Input: test_data_1 1 2 90% 4 3 91% 5 4 90% 6 5 90% 9 6 90% test_data_2 3 5 92% 5 4 92% 7 3 93% 9 2 92% 1 1 92% ... Output:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: justthisguy
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding tables from each script

Hi, I just want to take each sql script from specified directory and print all tables in those sqls. Below is the script but getting an error lik ksh: 0403-057 Syntax error: `(' is not expected. Script is---- ls /ukdw/prd/working/TDMatrix/srualcb02/ukdw/prd/bin | awk '{printf("%s... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: subrat
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

tables in scripts

Hi , I have two tables with same length t1 and t2, I want to cretae a new third table where i put the difference between the elements of t2 and t1, t3= t1 - t2 t3= t1 - t2 I am new to scripts, any help please? thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Celine19
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing the Bash Scripts to Bourne Scripts:URGENT

Hi, I have to write a program to compute the checksums of files ./script.sh I wrote the program using bash and it took me forever since I am a beginner but it works very well. I'm getting so close to the deadline and I realised today that actually I have to use normal Bourne shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pgarg1989
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH - How to call different scripts from master scripts based on a column in an Oracle table

Dear Members, I have a table REQUESTS in Oracle which has an attribute REQUEST_ACTION. The entries in REQUEST_ACTION are like, ME, MD, ND, NE etc. I would like to create a script which will will call other scripts based on the request action. Can we directly read from the REQUEST_ACTION... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yoodit
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Finding a word in all shell scripts

Hi i have to find the shell script that contain the word PROC__TO_UPDATE SEARCH SHOULD BE INSENSITIVE AND SCRIPT CAN BE DEPLOYED IN ANY PATH. I am on Solaris. (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: rafa_fed2
27 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripts for exporting backup from selected tables of Oracle DB

dear all please help me ! i need a script for exporting the selected tables of oracle database installed on CentOs. i waiting your response. thanks and regards (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: amirzargaran
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Identify tables from Oracle sql scripts

Hi, Please let me know if you have any thoughts on how to read a table that has all the oracle sql files or shell scripts at the job and step level to identify all the tables that does merge, update, delete, insert, create, truncate, alter table (ALTER TABLE XYZ RENAME TO ABC) and call them out... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: techmoris
1 Replies
MYSQL_TABLEINFO(1)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					MYSQL_TABLEINFO(1)

NAME
mysql_tableinfo - creates and populates information tables with the output of SHOW DATABASES, SHOW TABLES (or SHOW TABLE STATUS), SHOW COL- UMNS and SHOW INDEX. This is version 1.1. SYNOPSIS
mysql_tableinfo [OPTIONS] database_to_write [database_like_wild] [table_like_wild] Do not backquote (``) database_to_write, and do not quote ('') database_like_wild or table_like_wild Examples: mysql_tableinfo info mysql_tableinfo info this_db mysql_tableinfo info %a% b% mysql_tableinfo info --clear-only mysql_tableinfo info --col --idx --table-status DESCRIPTION
mysql_tableinfo asks a MySQL server information about its databases, tables, table columns and index, and stores this in tables called `db`, `tbl` (or `tbl_status`), `col`, `idx` (with an optional prefix specified with --prefix). After that, you can query these information tables, for example to build your admin scripts with SQL queries, like SELECT CONCAT("CHECK TABLE ",`database`,".",`table`," EXTENDED;") FROM info.tbl WHERE ... ; as people usually do with some other RDBMS (note: to increase the speed of your queries on the info tables, you may add some index on them). The database_like_wild and table_like_wild instructs the program to gather information only about databases and tables whose names match these patterns. If the info tables already exist, their rows matching the patterns are simply deleted and replaced by the new ones. That is, old rows not matching the patterns are not touched. If the database_like_wild and table_like_wild arguments are not specified on the command-line they default to "%". The program : - does CREATE DATABASE IF NOT EXISTS database_to_write where database_to_write is the database name specified on the command-line. - does CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS database_to_write.`db` - fills database_to_write.`db` with the output of SHOW DATABASES LIKE database_like_wild - does CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS database_to_write.`tbl` (respectively database_to_write.`tbl_status` if the --tbl-status option is on) - for every found database, fills database_to_write.`tbl` (respectively database_to_write.`tbl_status`) with the output of SHOW TABLES FROM found_db LIKE table_like_wild (respectively SHOW TABLE STATUS FROM found_db LIKE table_like_wild) - if the --col option is on, * does CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS database_to_write.`col` * for every found table, fills database_to_write.`col` with the output of SHOW COLUMNS FROM found_tbl FROM found_db - if the --idx option is on, * does CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS database_to_write.`idx` * for every found table, fills database_to_write.`idx` with the output of SHOW INDEX FROM found_tbl FROM found_db Some options may modify this general scheme (see below). As mentioned, the contents of the info tables are the output of SHOW commands. In fact the contents are slightly more complete : - the `tbl` (or `tbl_status`) info table has an extra column which contains the database name, - the `col` info table has an extra column which contains the table name, and an extra column which contains, for each described column, the number of this column in the table owning it (this extra column is called `Seq_in_table`). `Seq_in_table` makes it possible for you to retrieve your columns in sorted order, when you are querying the `col` table. - the `index` info table has an extra column which contains the database name. Caution: info tables contain certain columns (e.g. Database, Table, Null...) whose names, as they are MySQL reserved words, need to be backquoted (`...`) when used in SQL statements. Caution: as information fetching and info tables filling happen at the same time, info tables may contain inaccurate information about themselves. OPTIONS
--clear Does DROP TABLE on the info tables (only those that the program is going to fill, for example if you do not use --col it won't drop the `col` table) and processes normally. Does not drop database_to_write. --clear-only Same as --clear but exits after the DROPs. --col Adds columns information (into table `col`). --idx Adds index information (into table `idx`). --prefix prefix The info tables are named from the concatenation of prefix and, respectively, db, tbl (or tbl_status), col, idx. Do not quote ('') or backquote (``) prefix. -q, --quiet Does not warn you about what the script is going to do (DROP TABLE etc) and does not ask for a confirmation before starting. --tbl-status Instead of using SHOW TABLES, uses SHOW TABLE STATUS (much more complete information, but slower). --help Display helpscreen and exit -u, --user=# user for database login if not current user. Give a user who has sufficient privileges (CREATE, ...). -p, --password=# (INSECURE) password to use when connecting to server. WARNING: Providing a password on command line is insecure as it is visible through /proc to anyone for a short time. -h, --host=# host to connect to -P, --port=# port to use when connecting to server -S, --socket=# UNIX domain socket to use when connecting to server WARRANTY
This software is free and comes without warranty of any kind. You should never trust backup software without studying the code yourself. Study the code inside this script and only rely on it if you believe that it does the right thing for you. Patches adding bug fixes, documentation and new features are welcome. TO DO
Use extended inserts to be faster (for servers with many databases or tables). But to do that, must care about net-buffer-length. AUTHOR
2002-06-18 Guilhem Bichot (guilhem.bichot@mines-paris.org) And all the authors of mysqlhotcopy, which served as a model for the structure of the program. perl v5.8.0 2003-04-05 MYSQL_TABLEINFO(1)