Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Capturing shell script command output Post 100740 by Perderabo on Wednesday 1st of March 2006 03:12:02 PM
Old 03-01-2006
What language you you trying to use? In the bourne, ksh, bash type shells, you do stuff like this:
FILE=/tmp/output.txt
date > $FILE
This does not change the value of FILE. In your first script you are using a here-document. The last line of your script is the end of the here-document. It does not need to be the end of the script. You can keep on going and do more stuff. Go to our FAQ section and read the article on automating ftp jobs. There are a lot of examples there.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

capturing output in script

I have the following line in my script: $sftpcmd $rmthost <<COMMANDS>> $sftplog 2>&1 For some reason this is not capturing the errors from sftp, they go to the file attached to the cron entry ie mm hh dd MM * /myscript > cron.out any idea why? digital unix 4.0d (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: MizzGail
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

capturing line from script output and appending to a file

Hi all, I did some searching in this forum but can't find anything that matches the issue I'm bumping heads with. On a CentOS4/Postfix (and bash everywhere) mail gateway box I run a command periodically to purge the Postfix queue of messages "From:MAILER-DAEMON". This is the one line'r... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wally_welder
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Capturing output from grpck command on AIX

I'm having trouble capturing output from the following command on AIX: grpck -n ALL > error.out It gives me the results on the screen but my file is blank. I have no trouble capturing output from "ls > ls.out", but doesn't seem to work with the grpck command. Any ideas? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pdtak
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing the output from an exec command

Hi, I'm new to ksh - unix platform. I'm writing a small script which will search my current directory and will search for file names which it takes input from the users. Here is the code I'm having. 1 #!/bin/ksh 2 echo "enter a file name to be searched in the current dir : " 3 read... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: avik
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing Sybase SP output in Shell Script

Greetings, I need to capture the output of a Sybase stored procedure, inside my shell script( k shell). Based on this output, I need to call another perl script, with input arguments as the result set of the procedure execution. I need to keep looping through and call the perl script, ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajpreetsidhu
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem capturing output in TCL script

I have a TCL script that logs into a switch using expect.I send a command "show port-security address" and it returns a table having a large number of rows.I need to capture this output(the table) and store it in a .txt file. I have done this: match_max 5000 set expect_out(buffer) {} set... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: plasmalightwave
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing output of procedure in variable in shell script

Hi guys I am calling one DB2 stored proc through unix. It is giving me below output. I want to capture the value 150 in one UNIX variable in shell script. Please let me know how I can achieve this. Thanks in advance Value of output parameters -------------------------- Parameter Name :... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vnimavat
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing script output and input to log

Hi Is there a way that I can capture a shell script (both output and input) to a log file where I can analyze it? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimo
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing first output from 'top'-likes command

Is this a stupid code?? top > top.out & sleep 2 kill %1 cat top.out Thanks, (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shawn, Lee
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help capturing output of expect script

match_max 500000 set timeout 30 set outcome1 {} set outcome2 {} set inputfile C:\\Users\\Administrator\\Desktop\\inputfile.txt send -i $con "\r"; expect -i $con "Desktop>" { exp_send "type $inputfile \r" } set timeout 30 expect { "Desktop>" { set outcome $expect_out(0,string);}... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cityprince143
3 Replies
shells(4)							   File Formats 							 shells(4)

NAME
shells - shell database SYNOPSIS
/etc/shells DESCRIPTION
The shells file contains a list of the shells on the system. Applications use this file to determine whether a shell is valid. See getuser- shell(3C). For each shell a single line should be present, consisting of the shell's path, relative to root. A hash mark (#) indicates the beginning of a comment; subsequent characters up to the end of the line are not interpreted by the routines which search the file. Blank lines are also ignored. The following default shells are used by utilities: /bin/bash, /bin/csh, /bin/jsh, /bin/ksh, /bin/pfcsh, /bin/pfksh, /bin/pfsh, /bin/sh, /bin/tcsh, /bin/zsh, /sbin/jsh, /sbin/sh, /usr/bin/bash, /usr/bin/csh, /usr/bin/jsh, /usr/bin/ksh, /usr/bin/pfcsh, /usr/bin/pfksh, /usr/bin/pfsh, and /usr/bin/sh, /usr/bin/tcsh, /usr/bin/zsh. Note that /etc/shells overrides the default list. Invalid shells in /etc/shells may cause unexpected behavior (such as being unable to log in by way of ftp(1)). FILES
/etc/shells lists shells on system SEE ALSO
vipw(1B), ftpd(1M), sendmail(1M), getusershell(3C), aliases(4) SunOS 5.10 4 Jun 2001 shells(4)