Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Top 'user' reaches 100% many times Post 100694 by mercy on Wednesday 1st of March 2006 09:50:24 AM
Old 03-01-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wexxl
My knowledge about Unix is very limited. How can I determine the current version/ OS?
$ uname -a

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to get a mail when the partition reaches 75% in solaris

Hi Every one, I am new to Solaris and i want to know how to get a mail when the partition reaches certain Ex-75% percentage, and how to write shell script. I hope some one will help me. Thanks and Regards, Venkatesh. ##edit#by#moderator## don't post your email address here... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 1409.venkatesh
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

top's USER column width variation

hello, does anyone know how to expand the column width so it could contain full USER cell and not cut it in top ? Now it has eleven symbols but I can see only eight actualy I found only PID, PPID and %CPU columns variation possibilities in changelog (procps v.3.2.5). thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bugs_moran
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number of times a user is "connected"?

hi i wish make a shell to look for the number of times a user is connected then makes a "whatch dog" by crontab to handle this i could do it through ps-fedal| grep user_name | wc-l ... etc. but others suggested me another algorithm :mad: and thought to use w, or finger, or who but it have a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: edgar287
1 Replies

4. AIX

Switch user(su) two times

Is it possible to switch to root(if allowed) and then with root privileges switch to another user account "ABC"? To further explain the scenario, ABC is an account which has sugroups=su2DEF and root is not part of su2DEF group. but, given that root can switch to any account(correct me if I am... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mtwain
7 Replies

5. Programming

Problem with implementing the times() function in C (struct tms times return zero/negative values)

Hello, i'm trying to implement the times() function and i'm programming in C. I'm using the "struct tms" structure which consists of the fields: The tms_utime structure member is the CPU time charged for the execution of user instructions of the calling process. The tms_stime structure... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: g_p
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Particular user account shouldn't be locked after entering wrong passwd specfic no. times

Hi all In my system we have implemented user lockout feature after 3 failure attempt if he tries to login directly or if he run the any command through sudo and enter wrong password thrice. Now I have requirement in which particular user account shouldn't be locked when he run the command... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sb200
1 Replies

7. SCO

User process information and idle times

My company uses a proprietary GUI to its business system (Strategix) which runs on Windows clients, whereas the back-end runs on a SCO OpenServer 5.0.6a server. We're moving to a new business system next year and the business is growing and we're running out of licences on Strategix and making... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mmcardle
1 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

RudiC reaches over 4000 thanks in 6 years.

Congratulations. Nice one RudiC. That is some going, well done! Bazza. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
8 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)