Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File name extensions
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting File name extensions Post 10041 by Perderabo on Tuesday 6th of November 2001 08:31:49 PM
Old 11-06-2001
Code:
#! /usr/bin/ksh

old=$1
new=$2

for file in *.$old ; do
     mv $file ${file%$old}$new
done
exit 0

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Truncate multiple file extensions

Hi, I have files with names like file1.txt.txt.txt.txt and file2.txt.txt.txt.txt.txt............ (random infinite number of .txt exist). how to truncate (mv) their names to ones with single .txt extension like file1.txt and file1.txt ? In other words, how to extract the filename upto first... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Batch changing file extensions

We are moving from an OpenVMS server to a Unix server and I have a problem with ftp'ing files. When I ftp the VMS server from the Unix server, I need to "mget" some files, for example "mget test_file*.txt;". The semicolon is necessary because OpenVMS has multiple versions of the file (eg... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdines
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

File extensions in a dir

Hi All, Is there a way to list all file extensions in a directory and its recursive dirs? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganga.dharan
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find all the unique file extensions

Hi How can i find the unique list of file extensions in a folder/subfolders e.g. MAIN/ a.txt b.txt a.clas a.java b.class a.txt.112 c.12.ram.jar i just need to get the below out irrespective of file being present in folder or subfolders txt clas java (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: reldb
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking file extensions

I am trying to store file with certain file extensions to list but having some problems. Here is a part of the code set fryLst = "" set fxtLst = "" foreach f ($AfullNameLst) set fname = $f:r set fext = $f:e if ("$fext" == ".ry") set fryLst = "$fryLst $f" if ("$fext" == ".xt")... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking file extensions

I'm in csh and have a list of file names, example set Lst = "file1.ry file2.ry file3.ry file4.ry" I want to check if all the extensions are ry. Is they are, I want to do something. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristinu
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

rename file, add extensions

Hi Guys, I have files named myfileaa,myfileab,myfileac,myfilesad.... till myfileav. Now i needs to rename all these files to myfileaa.txt ,myfileab.txt,myfileac.txt. Please help me how to do the same. Thanks in advance..!!! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaituteja
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for file extensions in the given directories

Hey guys, I'm lost... I need to make a script that will work in this way: ./script.sh -e sh /usr/bin /home/student this script will result in this output: amuFormat.sh /usr/bin gettext.sh /urs/bin perfect.sh /home/student the parameter -e <ext> gives you which... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Miki1579
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove comments from file with specific file name extensions

Hello Unix board community, I have to program a shell script, but I am a complete noob so I hope I get some help here. The assignment is as follows: The program removes all comments regardless of formatting or language from files with specific file name extensions (php, css, js, ...).... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheZeusMan
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing file names with different extensions

Hello, I need some help. I have files in one and the same directory, but with different extensions, like this: file1.IN file2.IN file3.IN file1.OUT file2.OUT Apparently some files with OUT extension can be missing. So I want to compare *.IN and *.OUT, ignoring the extension and get result... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: apenkov
3 Replies
DH_COMPRESS(1)							     Debhelper							    DH_COMPRESS(1)

NAME
dh_compress - compress files and fix symlinks in package build directories SYNOPSIS
dh_compress [debhelperoptions] [-Xitem] [-A] [file...] DESCRIPTION
dh_compress is a debhelper program that is responsible for compressing the files in package build directories, and makes sure that any symlinks that pointed to the files before they were compressed are updated to point to the new files. By default, dh_compress compresses files that Debian policy mandates should be compressed, namely all files in usr/share/info, usr/share/man, files in usr/share/doc that are larger than 4k in size, (except the copyright file, .html and other web files, image files, and files that appear to be already compressed based on their extensions), and all changelog files. Plus PCF fonts underneath usr/share/fonts/X11/ FILES
debian/package.compress These files are deprecated. If this file exists, the default files are not compressed. Instead, the file is ran as a shell script, and all filenames that the shell script outputs will be compressed. The shell script will be run from inside the package build directory. Note though that using -X is a much better idea in general; you should only use a debian/package.compress file if you really need to. OPTIONS
-Xitem, --exclude=item Exclude files that contain item anywhere in their filename from being compressed. For example, -X.tiff will exclude TIFF files from compression. You may use this option multiple times to build up a list of things to exclude. -A, --all Compress all files specified by command line parameters in ALL packages acted on. file ... Add these files to the list of files to compress. CONFORMS TO
Debian policy, version 3.0 SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_COMPRESS(1)