Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX How to get the opened files by a process Post 100391 by qfwfq on Monday 27th of February 2006 08:44:08 AM
Old 02-27-2006
Look at fuser command. That will tell you all process attached to the file.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

multiple files opened in awk

Hi , i' d like to use an awk script to automate the ripping of cds : here's how it works : - i first create a file named songs.txt containing the name of the songs - the scripts extracts the tracks of a cd with cdparanoia - the scripts saves the contents of the dir with ls (ls > list.txt) -... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: krhamidou
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to recognize if a file still opened by any process?

Is there a way to tell for sure if a file currently is opened by any running process? I have a task to filter a text file which is produced by some long process. I have no way to communicate with that process, but I have access to a location, where that proces produce an output file. Need... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
3 Replies

3. AIX

Hostname of where any windows is opened ?

Is it possible to get the hostname of the server we are currently working on (physically) even if we have rlogged/tn to another one ? There is this DISPLAY variable we always have to setup everytime we log to a server (anyone). It has to be set to the name of the server we are physically working... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Number of files currently opened in linux

Hello, How do i check number of files currently opening in the linux server? Your help is highly appreciated. Thank you ---------- Post updated at 02:43 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:19 PM ---------- never mind!! I got it. ---------- Post updated at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: govindts
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find process through file opened

Hello all, I have a file that is growing and growing by the action of any process. How can I find what process is? Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: albertogarcia
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Keep database connection opened!

Hello. I have to make a script with more than 1 SQL query and the problem is that i have to alternate from sql commands to unix commands. what i would like to know if it's posible(and how) to keep the databse connection opened till last sql command is ran and execute unix commands while the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daniel1988
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

File exists, but cannot be opened.How to check- whether it could be opened to read when it exists

Hi #Testing for file existence if ; then echo 'SCHOOL data is available for processing' else echo 'SCHOOL DATA IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR PROCESSING' : i wrote a script, where it begins by checking if file exists or not. If it exists, it truncates the database... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rxg
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Dup2 - for file descriptor opened by a different process

is it possible to duplicate file descriptors(opened by a different process) with the help of dup or dup2. the two process do not share parent child relationship as well. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: replytoshishir
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script or alias to backup all files opened by vi

we want to backup all opened files by vi before editing also with version information. i wrote below alias to backup crontab file content with version info. What i want know is to make this opened files by vi. We want to prevent user mistakes by adding this alias. alias crontab='DATE=$(date... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sebu
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Solaris 11 - opened files limit ?

Hey all, I'm running apache (cswapache2) on a Solaris 11.3 server. Recently, if I create a new vhost, the service fails to restart, and enters in maintenance mode. If I comment lines with log files, the service starts again. I guess I've reached the limit. I checked the current values... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: omegared77
8 Replies
filebyproc.d(1m)						   USER COMMANDS						  filebyproc.d(1m)

NAME
filebyproc.d - snoop opens by process name. Uses DTrace. SYNOPSIS
filebyproc.d DESCRIPTION
filebyproc.d is a DTrace OneLiner to print file pathnames as they are opened, including the name of the process calling the open. A line will be printed regardless of whether the open is actually successful or not. This is useful to learn which files applications are attempting to open, such as config files, database files, log files, etc. Docs/oneliners.txt and Docs/Examples/oneliners_examples.txt in the DTraceToolkit contain this as a oneliner that can be cut-n-paste to run. Since this uses DTrace, only users with root privileges can run this command. EXAMPLES
This prints new process name and pathnames until Ctrl-C is hit. # filebyproc.d FIELDS
CPU The CPU that recieved the event ID A DTrace probe ID for the event FUNCTION:NAME The DTrace probe name for the event remaining fields The first is the name of the process, the second is the file pathname. DOCUMENTATION
See the DTraceToolkit for further documentation under the Docs directory. The DTraceToolkit docs may include full worked examples with ver- bose descriptions explaining the output. EXIT
filebyproc.d will run forever until Ctrl-C is hit. AUTHOR
Brendan Gregg [Sydney, Australia] SEE ALSO
opensnoop(1M), dtrace(1M), truss(1) version 1.00 May 15, 2005 filebyproc.d(1m)