Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers New User needing Help for upcoming job Post 100261 by Perderabo on Saturday 25th of February 2006 01:25:51 PM
Old 02-25-2006
About creating files... when a file is opened, it will (generally) be created if it does not exist.
Code:
echo hello
echo hello > datafile

The first line will display "hello" on the screen. The second line sends "hello" into a file call datafile. If datafile pre-existed, whatever data used to be in it is lost. And if datafile did not exist, well it does now.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

user unable to run at job

Aix version is 5.2. users are not able to run only at jobs. users are listed in at.allow file. Getting following Errors: at -l at: 0481-108 You are not authorized to use the at command. atq 0481-067 Cannot change to the /var/spool/cron/atjobs directory. at 24:10:00 pwd at:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bpsunadm
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

First public beta of upcoming gawk 4.0 release

Hi (g)awk lovers, just spreading the news: the first beta is available and there are many new features. This is the original announce. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: radoulov
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Is user cron job running in background?

Hi, Should the user jobs specified in crontab be running in background? Cron daemon is already running in background. So I am not sure whether should the jobs (output and error messages are redirected to file) ran by it be explicitly stated to be run in background (& at end of command) if one... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joe_x
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Does running a cron job of a user require the user to be logged in?

Suppose user 'asdf' is not logged into server 'bbbb', but the server is up. User 'asdf' has cron job. Will it be executed? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Change to NIS netgroup definition in upcoming Internet Draft

I'm considering the merits of slightly redefining the "domain" field in a NIS netgroup (the third field in the triple) to make it more useful, in a new Internet Draft that I am currently developing. Does anyone out there who uses NIS actually make use of the "domain" field? The places I've worked... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cambridge
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron Job for Fake User

There is a program that we (a company I'm working for) would like to run once per day, and the approach we're taking is to create a fake user to give a location to the data for this program, and to be the user running the program. For the sake of the discussion, let me call the fake user "bob". ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevendaryl
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Feedback wanted for upcoming script language

Hi I'm currently rewriting a project from install-required to a pure runtime form. The former had required the project name and the definition of the command as name, as they all become functions now, this could be shorter. As you might have figured, the project already exists in another... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
3 Replies
create_datafile_index(3alleg4)					  Allegro manual				    create_datafile_index(3alleg4)

NAME
create_datafile_index - Creates an index for a datafile. Allegro game programming library. SYNOPSIS
#include <allegro.h> DATAFILE_INDEX *create_datafile_index(const char *filename); DESCRIPTION
Creates an index for a datafile, to speed up loading single objects out of it. This is mostly useful for big datafiles, which you don't want to load as a whole. The index will store the offset of all objects inside the datafile, and then you can load it quickly with "load_datafile_object_indexed" later. Use destroy_datafile_index to free the memory used by it again. Note: If the datafile uses global compression, there is no performance gain from using an index, because seeking to the offset still requires to uncompress the whole datafile up to that offset. Example: DATAFILE_INDEX *index = create_datafile_index("huge.dat"); DATAFILE *object = load_datafile_object_indexed(index, 1234); ... unload_datafile_object(object); destroy_datafile_index(index); RETURN VALUE
A pointer value which you can pass to load_datafile_object_indexed. SEE ALSO
destroy_datafile_index(3alleg4), load_datafile_object_indexed(3alleg4) Allegro version 4.4.2 create_datafile_index(3alleg4)