Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to add new user and password through script Post 10025 by rwb1959 on Tuesday 6th of November 2001 04:18:06 PM
Old 11-06-2001
The simplest way is to use "expect".

Look at...

http://expect.nist.gov/

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Add User and Password

hello i have some probelm in the Unix Sun system ....so anyone can u help me how to sovle the problem : 1.how to add the user name and password. 2.list out the command.. Thank You (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alan thui
1 Replies

2. AIX

changing unix user password using script

Hi sir, i need help in scripting.. i have 30 users like below eda01 eda02 eda03 eda04 ..... ...... eda30 I want to reset all users password start with eda01 until eda30 to default password 1234 how do i do this using script, i dunt want system prompt me for password.. i am... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mani_um
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is it possible to write a script to reset user's password?

Is there anyway that I can reset user's password using a script/ssh command? ie. emulate passwd command with a default password of abc123 or even null value? > ssh server1 pwdadm user1 < /dev/null or > ssh server1 passwd user1 < /dev/null neither worked for me.. but you know what I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pdtak
1 Replies

4. Solaris

LDAP user password reset script

Hey all, I'm looking for a script to auto-generate a password for users that forget their password. Currently, we are using a perl script (with cgi-bin) where users update their password, but would like to add to this and make it so that the users can also request a password reset and a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: em23
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

provide a user password from a script

Hi all, passwd <username> < /var/adm/passwd.txt cat /var/adm/passwd.txt abcd1234 abcd1234 when I run this from the script, it comes with: New password: It is not able to pick from the location /var/adm/passwd.txt. thanks in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaix14
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create new user account and password in shell script

I am trying to create a shell script that will: check if a specific user already exists if not, create a specific group and create the user in that group assign a password to that user, where the password is passed in as a parameter to the script The problem that I need help with is 3 on... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: killuane
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to change a user password using script

Hi Experts, I had tried to executes this script to change the user password through script: No lines in buffer #!/bin/ksh cat /etc/passwd | grep -v userid >> /tmp/pass.tmp1 cat /etc/passwd | grep userid >> /tmp/pass.tmp2 PASS1=`cat /tmp/pass.tmp2 | cut -d ":" -f2` PASS2=`q2w3e4r5` sed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: indrajit_renu
3 Replies

8. Linux

script for password change for exiting user

Dear Forum, In our organization 100 user is existing. Now i want to change password for 100 user in linux server. Pls help to write script for changing password. Regads// Taifur (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: taifurakhand
3 Replies

9. Linux

Add a user with no password

I want to add a user like below in Linux. Please assist Below is the information from /etc/passwd file ---------- Post updated at 02:04 PM ---------- Previous update was at 10:05 AM ---------- Not sure why there is X in shadow file (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: prash358
6 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

Need to write a script user.sh that parses name & password

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Write a script called user.sh that parses the name and password of given in a file (user.txt) and creates the user... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nygenesis
1 Replies
SETUID(1)						      General Commands Manual							 SETUID(1)

NAME
setuid - run a command with a different uid. SYNOPSIS
setuid username|uid command [ args ] DESCRIPTION
Setuid changes user id, then executes the specified command. Unlike some versions of su(1), this program doesn't ever ask for a password when executed with effective uid=root. This program doesn't change the environment; it only changes the uid and then uses execvp() to find the command in the path, and execute it. (If the command is a script, execvp() passes the command name to /bin/sh for processing.) For example, setuid some_user $SHELL can be used to start a shell running as another user. Setuid is useful inside scripts that are being run by a setuid-root user -- such as a script invoked with super, so that the script can execute some commands using the uid of the original user, instead of root. This allows unsafe commands (such as editors and pagers) to be used in a non-root mode inside a super script. For example, an operator with permission to modify a certain protected_file could use a super command that simply does: cp protected_file temp_file setuid $ORIG_USER ${EDITOR:-/bin/vi} temp_file cp temp_file protected_file (Note: don't use this example directly. If the temp_file can somehow be replaced by another user, as might be the case if it's kept in a temporary directory, there will be a race condition in the time between editing the temporary file and copying it back to the protected file.) AUTHOR
Will Deich local SETUID(1)