Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: editing unix files on NT
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers editing unix files on NT Post 1002 by pixelmonkey on Thursday 1st of February 2001 10:56:57 AM
Old 02-01-2001
Question

i currently am using a unix server and NT pc. i have downloaded a ziped file that should explode into 3 seperate unix based files, however when i unzip it using Alading Expander it displays only 1. This exploded version contains all 3 files ( you can scroll down when viewing the file and see the break points). I know that i need to have a copy of gunzip to explode the files properly, but will it work on a NT system?

thanks
chris <pixel monkey>
running on 4&1/2 hours of sleep Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SCO

File Editing and Printing in Unix

Hi, Can some one provide me with, some good links containing help for file editing and printing in unix. Regards, Muhammad Tayyab Shereen Motor Co. Kuwait (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tayyabq8
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Editing files

hi i would like to know whether i can delete a part of a file in C for eg. if my file contained 1234567890 and i want to delete 456 so that it becomes 1237890 is there a way i can do this. well, one way i can achieve this is by creating a new file, copy whatever i want, then... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sameersbn
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Editing Binary Files in Unix

Hi, Is there a way to edit BINARY files in Unix. Or even are there any commands (shellscript/perl) through which I can replace all the occurences of a string inside a BINARY file with another string ?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cool.aquarian
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

editing files

Is there any command which I can apply from the command line to find and replace a particular text say "00:00:00:00" with "00" from all the files( where ever this text exists) of the current directory? (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: cobroraj
17 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Editing files to add some thing in all the files in a folder

Hi All, I have a folder that contains 100's of files and each file have a similar content like the following format: ((STBJa:200.0,((STBTz:200.0,(STSwe:200.0,(STDUw:200.0,(ST4Bu:200.0,STL2b:200.0):127.0):86.0):80.0):120.0, STAHr:200.0):134.0):200.0,STuNg:200.0);What I need is to do is add "#1"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

editing files.

hello, i have a problem. suppose file.txt i want to add lines over those lines in a file if it starts and ends with how and "?" respectively. i want output like output file.txt thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yashwantkumar
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with Reading/Editing of EBCDIC files at UNIX

Hi Folks, I need your help with Reading/Editing of EBCDIC files at UNIX. "dd" is not helping much so "iconv" too (as my file is packed decimal type). we will not be able to get access of powerexchange or mainframe. I need atleast 100 records from each file.(if all is possible it would be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script deleting my files, and editing files in subdirectories question

#!/bin/bash # name=$1 type=$2 number=1 for file in ./** do if then filenumber=00$number elif then filenumber=0$number fi tempname="$name""$filenumber"."$type" if (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheGreatGizmo
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Editing big file in UNIX

Hi Guys, I have a hugefile. I have requirement to change Indicator from "T" to "P" or from "P" to "T" which comes in header itself. I could not open either in any of editors or in UNIX command line using vi as file size > 3GB Please suggest a solution as how to achieve it through script or any... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abdulhameed M
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Editing files

This is a smallpart of my input file.I want to change the ID values of entries having CMW as an entry. Cont_1.266 . CMW 2958 3269 . - 0 PARENT=t:UM06506T0;ID=UM06506P0;rank=6 Cont_1.266 . CMW 3394 3505 . - 0 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasdf
3 Replies
Moose::Cookbook::Roles::Restartable_AdvancedComposition(User Contributed Perl DocumentatMoose::Cookbook::Roles::Restartable_AdvancedComposition(3)

NAME
Moose::Cookbook::Roles::Restartable_AdvancedComposition - Advanced Role Composition - method exclusion and aliasing VERSION
version 2.0604 SYNOPSIS
package Restartable; use Moose::Role; has 'is_paused' => ( is => 'rw', isa => 'Bool', default => 0, ); requires 'save_state', 'load_state'; sub stop { 1 } sub start { 1 } package Restartable::ButUnreliable; use Moose::Role; with 'Restartable' => { -alias => { stop => '_stop', start => '_start' }, -excludes => [ 'stop', 'start' ], }; sub stop { my $self = shift; $self->explode() if rand(1) > .5; $self->_stop(); } sub start { my $self = shift; $self->explode() if rand(1) > .5; $self->_start(); } package Restartable::ButBroken; use Moose::Role; with 'Restartable' => { -excludes => [ 'stop', 'start' ] }; sub stop { my $self = shift; $self->explode(); } sub start { my $self = shift; $self->explode(); } DESCRIPTION
In this example, we demonstrate how to exercise fine-grained control over what methods we consume from a role. We have a "Restartable" role which provides an "is_paused" attribute, and two methods, "stop" and "start". Then we have two more roles which implement the same interface, each putting their own spin on the "stop" and "start" methods. In the "Restartable::ButUnreliable" role, we want to provide a new implementation of "stop" and "start", but still have access to the original implementation. To do this, we alias the methods from "Restartable" to private methods, and provide wrappers around the originals (1). Note that aliasing simply adds a name, so we also need to exclude the methods with their original names. with 'Restartable' => { -alias => { stop => '_stop', start => '_start' }, -excludes => [ 'stop', 'start' ], }; In the "Restartable::ButBroken" role, we want to provide an entirely new behavior for "stop" and "start". We exclude them entirely when composing the "Restartable" role into "Restartable::ButBroken". It's worth noting that the "-excludes" parameter also accepts a single string as an argument if you just want to exclude one method. with 'Restartable' => { -excludes => [ 'stop', 'start' ] }; CONCLUSION
Exclusion and renaming are a power tool that can be handy, especially when building roles out of other roles. In this example, all of our roles implement the "Restartable" role. Each role provides same API, but each has a different implementation under the hood. You can also use the method aliasing and excluding features when composing a role into a class. FOOTNOTES
(1) The mention of wrapper should tell you that we could do the same thing using method modifiers, but for the sake of this example, we don't. AUTHOR
Moose is maintained by the Moose Cabal, along with the help of many contributors. See "CABAL" in Moose and "CONTRIBUTORS" in Moose for details. COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
This software is copyright (c) 2012 by Infinity Interactive, Inc.. This is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as the Perl 5 programming language system itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-09-19 Moose::Cookbook::Roles::Restartable_AdvancedComposition(3)