Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: please help quickly..
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting please help quickly.. Post 100196 by walnut on Friday 24th of February 2006 02:52:17 PM
Old 02-24-2006
please help quickly..

I want to pass arguments to a sh program and I want to use these arguments in the program as variables?

Will I use argc and argv in a main function can anyone around me write the full code please

for example when I write in th command

sh myprogram.sh argument1 argument2
I want to use these arguments

please help me

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Root partition fills up very quickly

Hi, I have an AIX 4.3 H80 running oracle 8i. My /(ROOT) partion is mounted seperately from others (/usr, /var, /tmp, etc) However, the partion fills up almost nightly. Appreciate any ideas that'll help solve my problem. Thank you. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: svjn
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need solution for this quickly. please quickly.

Write a nawk script that will produce the following report: ***FIRST QUARTERLY REPORT*** ***CAMPAIGN 2004 CONTRIBUTIONS*** ------------------------------------------------------------------------- NAME PHONE Jan | ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: p.palakj.shah
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing tmp file too quickly?

Still trying to get the basics down and I would like a different solution to what I'm currently doing and a better understanding of why it's happening. I've written a simple backup script that tars individual directories and then dumps them to a NFS drive. STDERR is being dumped into a process... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mandelbrot333
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

changing directory quickly without cd ..

Hi, I am in /home/development/project/abc directory. Now I want to remove one file which is kept in /trial/dev/<file> directory. I would like to do it in one command. I tried changing directory in one command like: pwd /home/development/project/abc cd ~/trial/dev/ bash: no command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: palak08
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Performing lookup quickly

Hello, Have been trying to develop a script that reads a string from an input file then looks up that string in a reference file to get a number, then inset that number back into the original file at a certain point (_____): Input File: HARRY JON _____ AA M N PETER PIE ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dendright
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please Help quickly

Hello everyone! I am new here and by new i don't mean only in this place, but in this shell scripting area. I started learning about Operation Systems only 2 months ago. I want to learn more but i found a problem which I don't really know how to solve. :confused: I have a directory with 4... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stripes07
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Service is restarting too quickly

Hi guys, one of my services in solaris 10 is in maintenance mode. When I checked why, the reason is that the service is "restarting too quickly." # svcs -x svc:/application/management/snmpdx:default svc:/application/management/snmpdx:default (Sun Solstice Enterprise Master Agent) State:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjashu
2 Replies
XSetCommand(3X11)						     MIT X11R4							 XSetCommand(3X11)

Name
       XSetCommand, XGetCommand - set or read a window's WM_COMMAND property

Syntax
       XSetCommand(display, w, argv, argc)
	  Display *display;
	  Window w;
	  char **argv;
	  int argc;

Status XGetCommand(display, w, argv_return, argc_return)
	  Display *display;
	  Window w;
	  char ***argv_return;
	  int *argc_return;

Arguments
       argc	 Specifies the number of arguments.

argc_return
		 Returns the number of arguments returned.

argv	 Specifies the application's argument list.

argv_return
		 Returns the application's argument list.

display	 Specifies the connection to the X server.

w	 Specifies the window.

Description
       The function sets the command and arguments used to invoke the application.  (Typically, argv is the argv array of your main program.)

can generate and errors.

The function reads the WM_COMMAND property from the specified window and returns a string list.	If the WM_COMMAND property exists, it is
       of type STRING and format 8.  If sufficient memory can be allocated to contain the string list, fills in the argv_return and argc_return
       arguments and returns a non-zero status.  Otherwise, it returns a zero status.  To free the memory allocated to the string list, use

Properties
       WM_COMMAND
		 The command and arguments, separated by ASCII nulls, used to invoke the application.

Diagnostics
       The server failed to allocate the requested resource or server memory.

A value for a Window argument does not name a defined Window.

See Also
       XAllocClassHint(3X11), XAllocIconSize(3X11), XAllocSizeHints(3X11), XAllocWMHints(3X11), XSetTransientForHint(3X11), XSetTextProp-
       erty(3X11), XSetWMClientMachine(3X11), XSetWMColormapWindows(3X11), XSetWMIconName(3X11), XSetWMName(3X11), XSetWMProperties(3X11), XSetWM-
       Protocols(3X11), XStringListToTextProperty(3X11)
       X Window System: The Complete Reference, Second Edition, Robert W. Scheifler and James Gettys

XSetCommand(3X11)