Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl: answering automatically to install questions Post 100098 by cbkihong on Thursday 23rd of February 2006 08:40:03 PM
Old 02-23-2006
So you have tried to use Expect and didn't work out? Or you wouldn't like to use it?

I have no experience with Expect but for questions like these the usual first response I frequently heard from the Perl people was "Expect".

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl questions - more

More questions for Perl on Windows (again I apologize its on windows... ) 1. How can I check free disk space on a drive in windows using perl command in a script? 2. How can I check processes running using perl command (as I would normally be able to see in task manager for example) 3. I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
7 Replies

2. Solaris

questions on how to install Solaris 10 via DVD/RW external device

Whoa...glad to see this forum si up and running, as a few weeks ago I tried to check in and found it directing me somewhere else and felt maybe this board was being hijacked or someone was closing down this forum. Here is a problem I am having. I got a SunFire V100 and disc with Solaris 10 on... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluridge
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Samba pre-install questions.

Greetings, I hope this is the right forum. I am looking to install Samba on my Linux box on my home network. I'm pretty sure I can deal with the how, I'm just not certain of the what. ok I'm using Debian lenny with no GUI. I have apt working and I've successfully installed and used one package... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: fguy
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

need shell or Perl script to get the epoch time automatically

I need shell or Perl script to get the epoch time automatically Example I need to execute mysql command to delete content less then given epoch time If date is 01-07-2010 (dd-mm-yy) epoch should be lees 7 days mean 23-06-2010 for 23-06-2010 I need epoch time Delete BS_table where... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sreedhargouda
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

Questions About RHEL 6, CentOS 5.5 download and install

Hi, I have some questions about RHEL and CentOS download and installation. (1) Is RHEL6.0 x86_64 beta downloaded from Red Hat site working fine? (2) Where to download CentOS 5.5 DVD iso without using BitTorrent? (3) What are the differences between these two images - CentOS 5.5 i386 and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh -t answering automatically to the password

hi, i'm using the folowing ssh command to list the newuser "crontab' from myuser ssh -t myuser@host1 "sudo -u newuser crontab -l" this is ok but it is asking me a password. Mot de passe de myuser: The problem is that i want to answer it automatically in a shell script with the... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nicol
22 Replies

7. Programming

How to automatically install all modules required by a script from CPAN?

Having a script.pl how can I automatically download from CPAN all required modules and install and update as required? Something like "emerge -uDNav world" for the perl? ---------- Post updated at 05:38 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:28 PM ---------- Doesn't matter I've found it ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tribe
6 Replies

8. HP-UX

How can i install HP-UX OS automatically?

Hello Friends, I need to install HP-UX OS automatically on HP servers. If anybody know this. Please comment on it and share the steps as well. Thanks & Reagrds, Sameer (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sameer007
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Debug Stepping Answering Questions

I am new to perl and want to get a little better understanding of debugging code in perl. I have a perl script that has questions to be answered like: he following PERL modules are recommended: Crypt::DES Crypt::PasswdMD5 IO::Pty Net::Write::Layer2 String::CRC32 Attempt to install... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
0 Replies

10. Solaris

Questions about remote access and install USB devices.

I have a server running openindiana, it hosts virtualbox and several VMs on it. My first question is if I can run openindiana desktop from my windows on same network, now I am using XWin server under cygwin-X, I can run GUI of VirtualBox etc. but can I have the openindiana desktop show on my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wyx2000
2 Replies
Expect::Simple(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				       Expect::Simple(3pm)

NAME
Expect::Simple - wrapper around the Expect module SYNOPSIS
use Expect::Simple; my $obj = new Expect::Simple { Cmd => [ dmcoords => 'verbose=1', "infile=$infile"], Prompt => [ -re => 'dmcoords>:s+' ], DisconnectCmd => 'q', Verbose => 0, Debug => 0, Timeout => 100 }; $obj->send( $cmd ); print $obj->before; print $obj->after; print $obj->match_str, " "; print $obj->match_idx, " "; print $obj->error_expect; print $obj->error; $expect_object = $obj->expect_handle; DESCRIPTION
"Expect::Simple" is a wrapper around the "Expect" module which should suffice for simple applications. It hides most of the "Expect" machinery; the "Expect" object is available for tweaking if need be. Generally, one starts by creating an Expect::Simple object using new. This will start up the target program, and will wait until one of the specified prompts is output by the target. At that point the caller should send() commands to the program; the results are available via the before, after, match_str, and match_idx methods. Since Expect simulates a terminal, there will be extra " " characters at the end of each line in the result (on UNIX at least). This is easily fixed: ($res = $obj->before) =~ tr/ //d; @lines = split( " ", $res ); This is not done automatically. Exceptions will be thrown on error (match with "/Expect::Simple/"). Errors from Expect are available via the error_expect method. More human readable errors are available via the error method. The connection is automatically broken (by sending the specified disconnect command to the target) when the Expect::Simple object is destroyed. Methods new $obj = Expect::Simple->new( \%attr ); This creates a new object, starting up the program with which to communicate (using the Expect spawn method) and waiting for a prompt. The passed hash reference must contain at least the Prompt, DisconnectCmd, and Cmd elements. The available attributes are: Cmd Cmd => $command, Cmd => [ $command, $arg1, $arg2, ... ], The command to which to connect. The passed command may either be a scalar or an array. Prompt This specifies one or more prompts to scan for. For a single prompt, the value may be a scalar; for more, or for matching of regular expressions, it should be an array reference. For example, Prompt => 'prompt1> ', Prompt => [ 'prompt1> ', 'prompt2> ', -re => 'promptd+>s+' ] All prompts are taken literally, unless immediately preceded by a "-re" flag, in which case they are regular expressions. DisconnectCmd This is the command to be sent to the target program which will cause it to exit. RawPty If set, then underlying Expect object's pty mode is set to raw mode (see Expect::raw_pty()). Timeout The time in seconds to wait until giving up on the target program responding. This is used during program startup and when any commands are sent to the program. It defaults to 1000 seconds. Debug The value is passed to Expect via its debug method. Verbose This results in various messages printed to the STDERR stream. If greater than 3, it turns on Expect's logging to STDOUT (via the log_stdout Expect method. send $obj->send( $cmd ); $obj->send( @cmds ); Send one or more commands to the target. After each command is sent, it waits for a prompt from the target. Only the output resulting from the last command is available via the after, before, etc. methods. match_idx This returns a unary based index indicating which prompt (in the list of prompts specified via the "Prompt" attribute to the new method) was received after the last command was sent. It will be undef if none was returned. match_str This returns the prompt which was matched after the last command was sent. before This returns the string received before the prompt. If no prompt was seen, it returns all output accumulated. This is usually what the caller wants to parse. Note that the first line will (usually) be the command that was sent to the target, because of echoing. Check this out to be sure! after This returns the 'after' string. Please read the Expect docs for more enlightenment. error This returns a cleaned up, more humanly readable version of the errors from Expect. It'll be undef if there was no error. error_expect This returns the original Expect error. expect_handle This returns the Expect object, in case further tweaking is necessary. BUGS
If the command to be run does not exist (or not in the current execution path), it's quite possible that the new method will not throw an exception. It's up to the caller to make sure that the command will run! There's no known workaround for this. LICENSE
This software is released under the GNU General Public License. You may find a copy at http://www.fsf.org/copyleft/gpl.html AUTHOR
Diab Jerius (djerius@cpan.org) perl v5.12.4 2008-05-06 Expect::Simple(3pm)