Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File size limit exceeded
Top Forums Programming File size limit exceeded Post 100006 by drshah on Thursday 23rd of February 2006 01:44:26 AM
Old 02-23-2006
Thanks Jim.
Now i am printing my ouput in 5 files.This is the size status of my output files

-rw-rw-rw- 1 usr users 53296243 Feb 23 11:09 output
-rw-rw-rw- 1 usr users 191 Feb 23 11:09 error
-rw-rw-rw- 1 usr users 2701503 Feb 23 11:09 pipe
-rw-rw-rw- 1 usr users 255 Feb 23 11:09 summary
-rw-rw-rw- 1 usr users 2147483647 Feb 23 11:09 debug

The size of the debug file is same as the maximum bytes i got i.e 2147483647(7FFFFFFF)
Eventhough the debug file occupies all the max bytes then also other files are created which are pretty large in size.That means the physical limit is exceeded here.
Then it should give me that message in unix.
But i get this error on linux now.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

File size limit

I want to have a permanent file created - and limit the size that this file can grow.. I want a circular file.. ie max size of file is 10 mb.. and if any new data written to file the oldest data removed.. How can I do this? I am on solaris 9 x86 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
3 Replies

2. AIX

file size limit

Can anybody help me? How to increase file size limit in aix 5.2? I have already specified in /etc/security/limits file : default: fsize = -1 core = 2097151 cpu = -1 data = -1 rss = -1 stack = -1 nofiles = 2000 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vjm
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File Size Limit

Hi, I have a problem writing or copying a file 2GB or larger to either the second or third disk on my C8000. I've searched this forum and found some good information on this but still nothing to solve the problem. I'm running hpux 11i, JFS3.3 and disk version 4 (from fstyp) on all 3 disks. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: HaidoodFaulkauf
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error, Login Limit Exceeded by 1 user

Would appreciate some help, system was displaying an error regarding the kernal when a "sar" was run, after a reboot we get "WARNING user login limit exceeded by 1 user". We have plenty of licences. any ideas? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nchrocc
1 Replies

5. Solaris

/tmp: File system full, swap space limit exceeded

Can you help. My server sunning solaris 9 on x86 platform pretty much hung for a few hours... I could not use telnet or ssh to the box - it kept refusing connection. A few hours later - I was able to log in again. The server has not rebooted but here are the first errors in the messages log... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File size limit exceeded... SCO ulimit?

Hello - O/S is UnixWare 7.1.4 My prefered method of copying files between servers is 'rcp', which does not recognize symbolic links; therefore, files are duplicated many times over. To avoid this duplication, I would like to use 'tar' and/or 'cpio' and pipe them through 'rcp', but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rm -r *
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logfile Size exceeded ????

Hi, How to write a script which checks the size of a log file? I want that the log file contents to get cleared as soon as it increases 1 KB. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

file size limit?

hi, how can I find out what the limit of a file size is on unix? thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesByars
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with awk awk: program limit exceeded: sprintf buffer size=1020

Hi I have many problems with a script. I have a script that formats a text file but always prints the same error when i try to execute it The code is that: { if (NF==17){ print $0 }else{ fields=NF; all=$0; while... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fate
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

httpd count exceeded threshold limit

Hello Everyone, I am new to this forum and also unix/linux. Our application today threw an alert whcih read as "The users active count on host has crossed the threshold limit of 50 and is standing at 65." This was although cleared when I restarted tomcat. But I am not sure why this count... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ykhati
0 Replies
GETRLIMIT(2)						      BSD System Calls Manual						      GETRLIMIT(2)

NAME
getrlimit, setrlimit -- control maximum system resource consumption LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/time.h> #include <sys/resource.h> int getrlimit(int resource, struct rlimit *rlp); int setrlimit(int resource, const struct rlimit *rlp); DESCRIPTION
Limits on the consumption of system resources by the current process and each process it creates may be obtained with the getrlimit() system call, and set with the setrlimit() system call. The resource argument is one of the following: RLIMIT_AS The maximum amount (in bytes) of virtual memory the process is allowed to map. RLIMIT_CORE The largest size (in bytes) core(5) file that may be created. RLIMIT_CPU The maximum amount of cpu time (in seconds) to be used by each process. RLIMIT_DATA The maximum size (in bytes) of the data segment for a process; this defines how far a program may extend its break with the sbrk(2) function. RLIMIT_FSIZE The largest size (in bytes) file that may be created. RLIMIT_MEMLOCK The maximum size (in bytes) which a process may lock into memory using the mlock(2) system call. RLIMIT_NOFILE The maximum number of open files for this process. RLIMIT_NPROC The maximum number of simultaneous processes for this user id. RLIMIT_RSS The maximum size (in bytes) to which a process's resident set size may grow. This imposes a limit on the amount of physical memory to be given to a process; if memory is tight, the system will prefer to take memory from processes that are exceeding their declared resident set size. RLIMIT_SBSIZE The maximum size (in bytes) of socket buffer usage for this user. This limits the amount of network memory, and hence the amount of mbufs, that this user may hold at any time. RLIMIT_STACK The maximum size (in bytes) of the stack segment for a process; this defines how far a program's stack segment may be extended. Stack extension is performed automatically by the system. RLIMIT_SWAP The maximum size (in bytes) of the swap space that may be reserved or used by all of this user id's processes. This limit is enforced only if bit 1 of the vm.overcommit sysctl is set. Please see tuning(7) for a complete description of this sysctl. RLIMIT_NPTS The maximum number of pseudo-terminals created by this user id. A resource limit is specified as a soft limit and a hard limit. When a soft limit is exceeded a process may receive a signal (for example, if the cpu time or file size is exceeded), but it will be allowed to continue execution until it reaches the hard limit (or modifies its resource limit). The rlimit structure is used to specify the hard and soft limits on a resource, struct rlimit { rlim_t rlim_cur; /* current (soft) limit */ rlim_t rlim_max; /* maximum value for rlim_cur */ }; Only the super-user may raise the maximum limits. Other users may only alter rlim_cur within the range from 0 to rlim_max or (irreversibly) lower rlim_max. An ``infinite'' value for a limit is defined as RLIM_INFINITY. Because this information is stored in the per-process information, this system call must be executed directly by the shell if it is to affect all future processes created by the shell; limit is thus a built-in command to csh(1). The system refuses to extend the data or stack space when the limits would be exceeded in the normal way: a brk(2) function fails if the data space limit is reached. When the stack limit is reached, the process receives a segmentation fault (SIGSEGV); if this signal is not caught by a handler using the signal stack, this signal will kill the process. A file I/O operation that would create a file larger that the process' soft limit will cause the write to fail and a signal SIGXFSZ to be generated; this normally terminates the process, but may be caught. When the soft cpu time limit is exceeded, a signal SIGXCPU is sent to the offending process. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, the value 0 is returned; otherwise the value -1 is returned and the global variable errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The getrlimit() and setrlimit() system calls will fail if: [EFAULT] The address specified for rlp is invalid. [EPERM] The limit specified to setrlimit() would have raised the maximum limit value, and the caller is not the super-user. SEE ALSO
csh(1), quota(1), quotactl(2), sigaltstack(2), sigvec(2), sysctl(3), ulimit(3) HISTORY
The getrlimit() system call appeared in 4.2BSD. BSD
August 20, 2008 BSD