How to find the date on which a particular directory is created?

Operating Systems AIX How to find the date on which a particular directory is created?
# 1  
Old 11-17-2010
How to find the date on which a particular directory is created?

how to find the date on which a particular directory is created?
Thanks.
# 2  
Old 11-17-2010
With the exception of some oddball linux filesystems, nowhere does UNIX store a create time/date for file or directories

Code:
ls -lud dirname  # time last accessed == atime
ls -ld   dirname  # time last written to == mtime
ls -lctd dirname  # last time filesystem metadata for the directory changed (inode) == ctime

These 3 Users Gave Thanks to jim mcnamara For This Post:
# 3  
Old 11-18-2010
and the reason for the behavior is....
# 4  
Old 11-18-2010
FYI. Certain backup software such as HP Omniback changes the "time of last modification of the inode" timestamp when it backs up a file or a directory file.
Even a "chmod" will change this timestamp. It is not a reliable timestamp to determine when a directory or file was created.
# 5  
Old 11-18-2010
Hammer & Screwdriver stat command

Take a look at the stat command for more data that can be determined about a file. Not available in all unix flavors, but there are about 30 or so options that can be inquired.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

List files with date, create directory, move to the created directory

Hi all, i have a folder, with tons of files containing as following, on /my/folder/jobs/ some_name_2016-01-17-22-38-58_some name_0_0.zip.done some_name_2016-01-17-22-40-30_some name_0_0.zip.done some_name_2016-01-17-22-48-50_some name_0_0.zip.done and these can be lots of similar files,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: charli1
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How I can find the last file created and move it to a directory?

I have this situation /u03/app/banjobs> ls -ltr icg* 82 Jun 12 10:37 iicgorldi_2419186.log 56810484 Jun 17 10:35 icgorldi_2421592.xml 2859 Jun 17 10:35 icgorldi_2421592.lis - 125 Jun 17 10:35 icgorldi_2421592.log 82 Jun 12 10:37 iicgorldi_2419187.log ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bernardo Jarami
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find the count of files by last created date based on the given date range

My unix version is IBM AIX Version 6.1 I tried google my requirement and found the below answer, find . -newermt “2012-06-15 08:13" ! -newermt “2012-06-15 18:20" But newer command is not working in AIX version 6.1 unix I have given my requirement below: Input: atr files: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yuvaa27
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the file created on current date

Hi All, I'm trying to find a file which is created on current day.... I searched in unix.com and i found, below command. find /land/ -mtime -1 -type f -print | grep "FF_Member_STG.dat" The command checks if the file with name "FF_Member_STG.dat" is created today then exit else proceed. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ace_friends22
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find files created today in a particular directory?

Dear All, I want a Hp Ux command to find out the files created today in a particular directory or mountpoint. Kindly help. Thanks Bhaskar (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudiptabhaskar
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find first created file date in YYYYMMDD format

Hi All, We are copying all the files into ARCHIVE directory after we process them. We are doing this process from last 2 years, now we have a lot of files in ARCHIVE directory. Now I need to find when the first file is copied into this directory? If I Issue, ls -l /ARCHIVE/*.* | tail -1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raamc
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find the newly created directory

Hi, I need to create new directory by increasing the number by 1 of extracted lastly created directory. e.g. Log\out_log_1\ Log\out_log_2\ Log\out_log_3\ become Log\out_log_1\ Log\out_log_2\ Log\out_log_3\ Log\out_log_4\ Can anyone help how to do it in c-shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Andre_2008
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the directory modified/created before 4 days

Hi, I have an application which creates some directories while running. I want to delete these directories which are 4 days older. i tried find . type d -mtime +1 -print And it is working fine.. but find . type d -mtime +4 -print is not giving any results which are 4 days... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tuxidow
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to find folder size with created date

hi, please give me adivse .how to find the folder size with created created date . eg: i have directore and in that sub directoties and so on.. /home/mud/abc/dcb/ for this i want output like this path size date -------------------------------------------... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: muddasani
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to find created date of file in UNIX

I need to write a script which has to list all the files which are created before six months from now. kindly help on this ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: amirthraj_12
7 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question