OS change Impact

Operating Systems AIX OS change Impact
# 1  
Old 07-01-2013
OS change Impact

Hi,

Does OS change affect the applications installed in AIX.
I am new to UNIX and would like to know how OS change heppens.

My specific issue
:

My machine is currently running with AIX 6 OS with lot of applications running.
Requirement is to upgrade the OS to AIX 7.1, without affecting the application already running. Can this be achieved ? Please advice.

Thanks in Advance,
Pradeep
# 2  
Old 07-01-2013
You have to check with your applications, if they support AIX 7.1. For this contact your application support or do some searching in any compatibility matrixes etc. on the web.
You can either do an upgrade or a new installation of the OS.
Depending on your environment and the available amount of downtime, you can decide what you are gonna do.
I am usually not a friend of upgrading so I'd prefer a new install, if possible. Though I have no experience on how flawlessly an upgrade works.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Web Development

LAMP - version updates and the impact!

Hello All, I have a LAMP server (CentOS 5.5) which has a lot of php scripts and the php pages runs fine. My question is if I have to allow the OS udpates regularly on the server, will there be any problems in running the existing php scripts? Please advise if my apache/mysql/php functionality... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilan
3 Replies

2. Solaris

pkgadd - already installed files, impact?

whenever i add a package i almost always get a message about how some files are already installed and most of the time they are attribute only changes with some marked indicating conflicts. can someone explain the impact of this? is this something i dont really need to worry about? what... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jrich523
6 Replies

3. AIX

Aix auditing : performance impact

can someone help me find out the impact of enabling audting on the entire root filesystem. does it have a major hit on the overall performance of the system Thanks so much (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: iam
0 Replies

4. HP-UX

Upgrade Ignite and its impact

Hi experts, I would like to ask whether upgrading Ignite in Ignite server will cause any impact or not esspecially when we try to restore back from Ignite server to client server (that used older version of Ignite-UX)? :confused: Thank you ;) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: yeazas
0 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

upgrade to solaris 9 - mysql impact

I have 4 solaris 8 servers running mysql 5.0.22. I am considering upgrading to solaris 9 and wanted to know if mysql needs to be recompiled for mysql to run under solaris 9. Thank you (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: csgonan
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I have a SGI Impact 10,000 what should i do with it?

I have one of these machines i just aquired. http://www.sgi.com/products/legacy/p...go2_indigo.pdf What should i do with it id love to configure a OS on it but im a noob to unix. I want to be able to configure the OS then be able to ssh (think thats what iots called) into it and learn how to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: VenomXt
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

impact printer problem

We are trying to setup an impact printer - Tally t2030 on our unix server digital unix 4.0D. It skips half the first page of every print both from our application and the unix level. It starts the 2nd half of the page at the top of the 2nd physical paper in the printer. The printer uses... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MizzGail
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question